Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Best 4x6 Printer

Best 4x6 Printer

Raster

I'd like some advice on either a dedicated or a printer that is capable of
printing quality 4x6 photos. I'm looking for the best cost/quality ratio. I
don't mean the initial cost put the cost of ink/paper. I.e. I can get 4x6
prints at Costco for .24 can I get a better or close to that price print
them myself.

Greg Kamer

"Raster"
> I'd like some advice on either a dedicated or a printer that is capable of
> printing quality 4x6 photos. I'm looking for the best cost/quality ratio.

> don't mean the initial cost put the cost of ink/paper. I.e. I can get 4x6
> prints at Costco for .24 can I get a better or close to that price print
> them myself.

Raster,
Take a look at the Canon i960

gilbert grape

I don't think you are going to approach the .24 mark with anything available
right now. Costco and others count on bulk to break even at that point,
just to get you into the store. I like the HP 100 series of dedicated 4x6
printers, although you will pay a premium if you use HP's ink catridge. I
get about 70 pics out of a 34.95 cartridge, and then of course you must
factor in the cost of paper. I've gotten the HP cartridges on sale for as
little of $20 each, but you have to stock up because those sales are few and
far between.

"Raster" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'd like some advice on either a dedicated or a printer that is capable of
> printing quality 4x6 photos. I'm looking for the best cost/quality ratio.

> don't mean the initial cost put the cost of ink/paper. I.e. I can get 4x6
> prints at Costco for .24 can I get a better or close to that price print
> them myself.

Paolo Pizzi

Raster wrote:

> I'd like some advice on either a dedicated or a printer that is
> capable of printing quality 4x6 photos. I'm looking for the best
> cost/quality ratio. I don't mean the initial cost put the cost of
> ink/paper. I.e. I can get 4x6 prints at Costco for .24 can I get a
> better or close to that price print them myself.

Forget about trying to print cheaper than Costco, Wal
Mart etc. it's just not possible, unless quality is not an
issue and you're willing to use third-party and/or refilled
cartridges (bad idea!) and recycled paper (yuck!)

You can get a used HP Photosmart 100 (or 130) for as
little as $50 on EBay. Great little printer!! If you want the
best quality, however, you have to use HP Premium Plus
paper, which is rather expensive. Not to mention that the
#57 tri-color ink cartridge retails for $34.95 (but you can
find it discounted) and you will only get about 100 prints,
if you're lucky. So, a print will cost you at least 50-60
cents (ink+paper), but you'll get better quality (and, above
all, control) compared to a print from Costco (which, at
least by my experience, usually sucks.)

Raster

Funny you mentioned that printer, I've been looking into Cannon I960 quite a
bit, I like the fact that it has six tanks, and online you can buy the tanks
for 4.95 each. Are you happy with the quality this printer produces?

"Greg Kamer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Raster"
> > I'd like some advice on either a dedicated or a printer that is capable

of
> > printing quality 4x6 photos. I'm looking for the best cost/quality

ratio.
> > don't mean the initial cost put the cost of ink/paper. I.e. I can get

4x6
> > prints at Costco for .24 can I get a better or close to that price print
> > them myself.
> >

> Raster,
> Take a look at the Canon i960

zbzbzb

>I'd like some advice on either a dedicated or a printer that is capable of
>printing quality 4x6 photos. I'm looking for the best cost/quality ratio. I
>don't mean the initial cost put the cost of ink/paper. I.e. I can get 4x6
>prints at Costco for .24 can I get a better or close to that price print
>them myself.

Digital prints at Costco for 4x6 is 14 cents.

Vic Dura

On Mon, 1 Dec 2003 14:03:07 -0800, RE: Re: Best 4x6 Printer "Greg
Kamer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Raster"
>> I'd like some advice on either a dedicated or a printer that is capable of
>> printing quality 4x6 photos. I'm looking for the best cost/quality ratio.

>> don't mean the initial cost put the cost of ink/paper. I.e. I can get 4x6
>> prints at Costco for .24 can I get a better or close to that price print
>> them myself.
>>

>Raster,
> Take a look at the Canon i960

Someone once told me that the Canon (and Epson) printers are prone to
print-head damage if an ink tank runs dry. Has anyone heard or read
anything about this? Is it true? If so, how reliable is the software
that shows ink level in the tanks?

--
To reply to me directly, remove the XXX characters from my email address.

JMooreTS

>I've been looking into Cannon I960 quite a
>bit, I like the fact that it has six tanks, and online you can buy the tanks
>for 4.95 each.

I have the i960 and am very pleased with it. Where are you buying the
cartridges at $4.95 each? The best Ebay price seems to hover around $7 - $8
per cartridge.

Thanks,

John Moore

Jeff Shoaf

"Raster" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:(E-Mail Removed):

> I'd like some advice on either a dedicated or a printer that is
> capable of printing quality 4x6 photos. I'm looking for the best
> cost/quality ratio. I don't mean the initial cost put the cost of
> ink/paper. I.e. I can get 4x6 prints at Costco for .24 can I get a
> better or close to that price print them myself.

The HiTi dye-sub printers do a good job, but cost per 4X6 is $0.40. Their
basic printer costs $129 and does a 4X6 in around 90 seconds. They're
supposed to be coming out with a new line of dye-subs during the 1st
quarter of 2004 that will do 4X6, 5X7, and 6X8 prints.

Nick C

Raster wrote:

> I'd like some advice on either a dedicated or a printer that is capable of
> printing quality 4x6 photos. I'm looking for the best cost/quality ratio. I
> don't mean the initial cost put the cost of ink/paper. I.e. I can get 4x6
> prints at Costco for .24 can I get a better or close to that price print
> them myself.

For almost a year I was using the HP130 printer. I would use it, along
with the accessory attachment that will allow its use in an automobile.

When I take 'street' pictures, I've often found that the people I
photograph would like to have a picture of themselves. The HP130 served
that purpose. In fact I was so satisfied by its performance, last week I
bought the latest model HP245 and gave the HP130 to a friend. The HP245
not only makes color prints but will also make very good black and white
prints. I use both Kodak Ultima Picture Paper and HP Premium Plus Glossy
Photo Paper; whichever is handy at the time of purchase. I generally buy
several hundred sheets of either packaged paper at a time.

I like to take my pictures using film and process my film pictures
(which would be like taking a digital Raw picture) and use a digicam to
make on-the-spot 4x6 prints to give to those who would like to have a
picture. As for using Wal-Mart or Costco make my prints, no way.

Nick