Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Olympus Images Chopped Off

Olympus Images Chopped Off

John

I have an Olympus C750. After taking pics I download them to my computer
using Camedia software. All the pics in the thumbnails look fine. It is
when I select the thumbnail to enlarge that the problems occur. One out of
ten pics are cut-off in some degree or the other. Looks fine in thumbnail
but cut-off in the full size view. The portion of the pic that is cut-off
is grayed out.

I thought the 256mb Olympus XD memory card was the problem (so did Olympus)
so it was replaced by Olympus. The problem still exists with the new card,
however I've never seen the problem with the 16mb card that came with it.
Several techs at Olympus have never seen this problem before so I have a
difficult time believing it is another bad memory card.

I've searched on the internet and have seen no other problem such as this.
Any ideas? I'm wondering if I'm doing something that is causing this while
I take pictures.

Thanks for your help!
John

Andy Hewitt

John <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I have an Olympus C750. After taking pics I download them to my computer
> using Camedia software. All the pics in the thumbnails look fine. It is
> when I select the thumbnail to enlarge that the problems occur. One out of
> ten pics are cut-off in some degree or the other. Looks fine in thumbnail
> but cut-off in the full size view. The portion of the pic that is cut-off
> is grayed out.
>
> I thought the 256mb Olympus XD memory card was the problem (so did Olympus)
> so it was replaced by Olympus. The problem still exists with the new card,
> however I've never seen the problem with the 16mb card that came with it.
> Several techs at Olympus have never seen this problem before so I have a
> difficult time believing it is another bad memory card.
>
> I've searched on the internet and have seen no other problem such as this.
> Any ideas? I'm wondering if I'm doing something that is causing this while
> I take pictures.

I had the same thing happen occasionally when loading images from my
C960. That only had a 8mb card, and I use Mac OS X.

I got round it by manually downloading the images to HD first, rather
than using an application to do it. Open the 'Removeable' disk, and
navigate to the images, then copy (drag) them to the location you want
on the hard drive. Then open them in the Camedia software.

Worth a try anyway.

--
Andy Hewitt ** FAF#1, OSOS#5 - BMW K100RS 8v, Honda Concerto 16v
Windows free zone (Mac G3)

Michael A. Covington

"Andy Hewitt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:1g57frs.1r7sj2zu9w5xpN%(E-Mail Removed) t...
> John <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > I have an Olympus C750. After taking pics I download them to my

computer
> > using Camedia software. All the pics in the thumbnails look fine. It

is
> > when I select the thumbnail to enlarge that the problems occur. One out

of
> > ten pics are cut-off in some degree or the other. Looks fine in

thumbnail
> > but cut-off in the full size view. The portion of the pic that is

cut-off
> > is grayed out.

> I had the same thing happen occasionally when loading images from my
> C960. That only had a 8mb card, and I use Mac OS X.
>
> I got round it by manually downloading the images to HD first, rather
> than using an application to do it. Open the 'Removeable' disk, and
> navigate to the images, then copy (drag) them to the location you want
> on the hard drive. Then open them in the Camedia software.

Does this mean it's a timing problem in the USB communication system (or
whatever you're using to download)?

Andy Hewitt

Michael A. Covington <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

<Snipped Text>
> > I got round it by manually downloading the images to HD first, rather
> > than using an application to do it. Open the 'Removeable' disk, and
> > navigate to the images, then copy (drag) them to the location you want
> > on the hard drive. Then open them in the Camedia software.
> >

> Does this mean it's a timing problem in the USB communication system (or
> whatever you're using to download)?

No idea. I don't think so. With the C960 I had to use a card reader, as
that only had a serial port, and my iMac doesn't have serial. The
hardware is identical in both scenarios, it's only the method for
downloading that changes.

--
Andy Hewitt ** FAF#1, OSOS#5 - BMW K100RS 8v, Honda Concerto 16v
Windows free zone (Mac G3)
<http://homepage.ntlworld.com/ahewitt/index.htm> (last update 12.02)

John

I downloaded the pics directly to the HD. I then tried to open them in
Camedia and it did the same thing. I then tried to open them in Dell
Picture Studio and it did it again. So I'm guessin' the camera is screwed
up, unless there's somethin' else you think I could try?

Thanx!
John

Andy Hewitt

John <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I downloaded the pics directly to the HD. I then tried to open them in
> Camedia and it did the same thing. I then tried to open them in Dell
> Picture Studio and it did it again. So I'm guessin' the camera is screwed
> up, unless there's somethin' else you think I could try?

It might well be the case. Have you tried using a card reader instead?

--
Andy Hewitt ** FAF#1, OSOS#5 - BMW K100RS 8v, Honda Concerto 16v
Windows free zone (Mac G3)
<http://homepage.ntlworld.com/ahewitt/index.htm> (last update 12.02)

John

Haven't tried a card reader. What blows my mind is why the thumbnails look
OK but the larger view is corrupt? What is acceptable about picure errors?
Is it normal to have a few corrupt pics in every hundred pics?

"Andy Hewitt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:1g58eat.rn56f7yexer1N%(E-Mail Removed) ...
> John <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > I downloaded the pics directly to the HD. I then tried to open them in
> > Camedia and it did the same thing. I then tried to open them in Dell
> > Picture Studio and it did it again. So I'm guessin' the camera is

screwed
> > up, unless there's somethin' else you think I could try?

> It might well be the case. Have you tried using a card reader instead?
>
> --
> Andy Hewitt ** FAF#1, OSOS#5 - BMW K100RS 8v, Honda Concerto 16v
> Windows free zone (Mac G3)
> <http://homepage.ntlworld.com/ahewitt/index.htm> (last update 12.02)

John

I just blew compressed air in to the memory card slot and tried again. Took
37 pics.....one was corrupt. Is this acceptable? Maybe I just don't know
what to expect with these high tech cameras.

"Andy Hewitt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:1g58eat.rn56f7yexer1N%(E-Mail Removed) ...
> John <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > I downloaded the pics directly to the HD. I then tried to open them in
> > Camedia and it did the same thing. I then tried to open them in Dell
> > Picture Studio and it did it again. So I'm guessin' the camera is

screwed
> > up, unless there's somethin' else you think I could try?

> It might well be the case. Have you tried using a card reader instead?
>
> --
> Andy Hewitt ** FAF#1, OSOS#5 - BMW K100RS 8v, Honda Concerto 16v
> Windows free zone (Mac G3)
> <http://homepage.ntlworld.com/ahewitt/index.htm> (last update 12.02)

Charlie Dilks

In article <wVnyb.28214$(E-Mail Removed) .net>,
"John" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Haven't tried a card reader. What blows my mind is why the thumbnails look
> OK but the larger view is corrupt? What is acceptable about picure errors?
> Is it normal to have a few corrupt pics in every hundred pics?

Not in my experience. I've used an Oly 2020 and 5050 for four years and
never had a corrupt image.

Is there any chance that you take a shot and then turn the camera off?
Is it possible that you turned the camera off before it was finished
recording the image?
Have you tried different cards? One might be defective.
Other than that, I guess your camera is defective.
--
Charlie Dilks
Newark, DE USA

Andy Hewitt

John <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I just blew compressed air in to the memory card slot and tried again. Took
> 37 pics.....one was corrupt. Is this acceptable? Maybe I just don't know
> what to expect with these high tech cameras.

No it isn't acceptable by any means, although I've only actually had
about 10 corrupt images in around 1600 taken.

However, that is actually better than my record with traditional film
:-/

One more thought, do they show this problem when viewed in the camera,
or only once downloaded?