Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Worth waiting for?

Worth waiting for?

Dave Cox

Is the movie mode in the Sony F828 worth waiting for? I am really
leaning towards the Canon 300D but it has no movie mode and think I
would like that feature in a digital camera. If anyone has a camera
with the movie mode how often do you find yourself actually using it?
Or is it one of them things like - If your going to shoot video get a
camcorder.

Thanks
Dave

Mark B.

"Dave Cox" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns944232F98459Bdcoxonramp113org@216.168.3.44 ...
> Is the movie mode in the Sony F828 worth waiting for? I am really
> leaning towards the Canon 300D but it has no movie mode and think I
> would like that feature in a digital camera. If anyone has a camera
> with the movie mode how often do you find yourself actually using it?
> Or is it one of them things like - If your going to shoot video get a
> camcorder.
>
> Thanks
> Dave

If you want to shoot good video, get a camcorder. I suppose it's good for
quick video snippets when you don't have a camcorder with you.

Mark

Dave Cox

"Mark B." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> "Dave Cox" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:Xns944232F98459Bdcoxonramp113org@216.168.3.44 ...
>> Is the movie mode in the Sony F828 worth waiting for? I am really
>> leaning towards the Canon 300D but it has no movie mode and think
>> I would like that feature in a digital camera. If anyone has a
>> camera with the movie mode how often do you find yourself
>> actually using it? Or is it one of them things like - If your
>> going to shoot video get a camcorder.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Dave

> If you want to shoot good video, get a camcorder. I suppose it's
> good for quick video snippets when you don't have a camcorder with
> you.
>
> Mark

That's what I was thinking, short little clips I could email family. I
just got a hard on to get a camera NOW!! as my wife finally said I
could *LOL*........any idea when the F828 will ship?

Cherokee-LTD

It is due to ship the day after you get fed up and buy something else!
I have an F717 and I do like the video for off-roading and slapping up on a
website.. other than that, I don't use it.
-Brian

news:Xns94423B57C887Bdcoxonramp113org@216.168.3.44 ...
:
: > "Dave Cox" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
: > news:Xns944232F98459Bdcoxonramp113org@216.168.3.44 ...
: >> Is the movie mode in the Sony F828 worth waiting for? I am really
: >> leaning towards the Canon 300D but it has no movie mode and think
: >> I would like that feature in a digital camera. If anyone has a
: >> camera with the movie mode how often do you find yourself
: >> actually using it? Or is it one of them things like - If your
: >> going to shoot video get a camcorder.
: >>
: >> Thanks
: >> Dave
: >
: >
: > If you want to shoot good video, get a camcorder. I suppose it's
: > good for quick video snippets when you don't have a camcorder with
: > you.
: >
: > Mark
: >
: >
: >
:
: That's what I was thinking, short little clips I could email family. I
: just got a hard on to get a camera NOW!! as my wife finally said I
: could *LOL*........any idea when the F828 will ship?

Roland Karlsson

Dave Cox <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:Xns944232F98459Bdcoxonramp113org@216.168.3.44 :

> Is the movie mode in the Sony F828 worth waiting for? I am really
> leaning towards the Canon 300D but it has no movie mode and think I
> would like that feature in a digital camera.

Before you do such a choice, you better think about
what you want from the camera.

The 300D is a rather large camera with very high
image quality, good high ISO performance and the
possibilty to get more lenses (at a rather high
price of course).

The F828 is a "small sensor" camera with a long zoom
and no possibility to get any more lenses. It is more
compact, but the picture quality is way lower. And
the high ISO peformance is just as for any other small
sensor camera - not all that good.

The movie mode is the smallest difference between
the two cameras.

For a movie mode just for fun and to play with,
I would get a small point and shoot camera besides
the 300D. Or, if I wanted more serious movies, get
a camcorder.

Roland

bmoag

"but the picture quality is way lower"
And this conclusion is based on personal use of the camera? A consensus of
third party tests?
The camera is supposed to start shipping in early December. Sony is now
taking "pre-orders" on its web-site.

Roland Karlsson

"bmoag" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:Ge4yb.61730$SE3.9089
@newssvr25.news.prodigy.com:

> "but the picture quality is way lower"
> And this conclusion is based on personal use of the camera? A consensus of
> third party tests?

It is based on the camera having a 2/3 (8.8mm x 6.6mm) sensor
and a 7x zoom. Such a small sensor and such a long zoom both
sets limits on the possible image quality.

The 300D has a 23mm x 15mm sensor. You can buy lots of lenses
for that camera - even super quality prime lenses.

Roland

jriegle

Yes, and after getting some images out of a SLR camera with the large
sensor, I don't ever want to see those noisy, over processed looking small
sensor cameras again.
John

"Roland Karlsson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns9442C0282D76Arolandkarlssonchello@130.133. 1.4...
> "bmoag" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:Ge4yb.61730$SE3.9089
> @newssvr25.news.prodigy.com:
>
> > "but the picture quality is way lower"
> > And this conclusion is based on personal use of the camera? A consensus

of
> > third party tests?

> It is based on the camera having a 2/3 (8.8mm x 6.6mm) sensor
> and a 7x zoom. Such a small sensor and such a long zoom both
> sets limits on the possible image quality.
>
> The 300D has a 23mm x 15mm sensor. You can buy lots of lenses
> for that camera - even super quality prime lenses.
>

> Roland

B÷wser

Nobody has a production unit F828 yet, so nobody knows what it can or can't
do.

"Dave Cox" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns944232F98459Bdcoxonramp113org@216.168.3.44 ...
> Is the movie mode in the Sony F828 worth waiting for? I am really
> leaning towards the Canon 300D but it has no movie mode and think I
> would like that feature in a digital camera. If anyone has a camera
> with the movie mode how often do you find yourself actually using it?
> Or is it one of them things like - If your going to shoot video get a
> camcorder.
>
> Thanks
> Dave

gr

"Roland Karlsson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
> Dave Cox <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
> > Is the movie mode in the Sony F828 worth waiting for? I am really
> > leaning towards the Canon 300D but it has no movie mode and think I
> > would like that feature in a digital camera.

> Before you do such a choice, you better think about
> what you want from the camera.

Yeah, were you reading what he wrote?!? He said he wanted a movie mode! Just
why do you find that so unclear?

> The F828 is a "small sensor" camera with a long zoom
> and no possibility to get any more lenses. It is more
> compact, but the picture quality is way lower.

You've never even seen any F828 images! Before you spout your Canon-biased
drivel, perhaps you should consider that not everyone wants an oversized,
plastic, feature-crippled paper weight. (And that's exactly what the 300D
will be to someone who won't use it because it doesn't suit their purpose.)

As for whether Dave should wait... definitely. If he wants a movie mode, the
F828 will probably be the best combo camera on the market.