Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > mini USB cable chaos

mini USB cable chaos

Phil Schuman

A friend came over for the holidays,
and brought his Olympus D-520 digital camera.
After shooting some family shoits,
he later asked if I had a USB connection... sure -
Well - duh - let's really muddy the waters -
http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/usb_minicables.html

So now we have USB 1.0, 1.1, 2.0
and the new crop of "mini" connectors
that don't really have a "name" for each version...

So what used to be a simple question,
like - do you have a USB port... sure -
now becomes a Q&A test for connectors.

CSM1

"Phil Schuman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:z6Txb.6562$(E-Mail Removed) .com...
> A friend came over for the holidays,
> and brought his Olympus D-520 digital camera.
> After shooting some family shoits,
> he later asked if I had a USB connection... sure -
> Well - duh - let's really muddy the waters -
> http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/usb_minicables.html
>
> So now we have USB 1.0, 1.1, 2.0
> and the new crop of "mini" connectors
> that don't really have a "name" for each version...
>
> So what used to be a simple question,
> like - do you have a USB port... sure -
> now becomes a Q&A test for connectors.

Yes, it does on the camera end. The Computer end is the same.

If one is to bring their camera, one must also bring their USB cable and
their software installation CD when they come to a friend's house.

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com

Don B

CSM1 wrote:

>"Phil Schuman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:z6Txb.6562$(E-Mail Removed) y.com...
>

>>A friend came over for the holidays,
>>and brought his Olympus D-520 digital camera.
>>After shooting some family shoits,
>>he later asked if I had a USB connection... sure -
>>Well - duh - let's really muddy the waters -
>>http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/usb_minicables.html
>>
>>So now we have USB 1.0, 1.1, 2.0
>>and the new crop of "mini" connectors
>>that don't really have a "name" for each version...
>>
>>So what used to be a simple question,
>>like - do you have a USB port... sure -
>>now becomes a Q&A test for connectors.
>>

>Yes, it does on the camera end. The Computer end is the same.
>
>If one is to bring their camera, one must also bring their USB cable and
>their software installation CD when they come to a friend's house.

The best way to do it is pick up a card reader such as Lexar's 7 in 1
for about $30.00. It pretty much covers all of the bases.

Don

DHB

There is an easier & safer way to deal with this problem that should be
considered. Purchasing a USB 2.0 multi-card reader for your computer might
save you a lot of problems especially if your PC has USB 2.0.

You may wish to consider 1 of the newer, USB 2.0, small multi-card
readers such as the mew Lexar reviewed at the link below.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_..._mcr-usb2.html

As the holidays approach it's becoming more common to see family &
friends with digital cameras. Since everybody has different preferences
it's very likely that the cameras they are using may have different types of
memory than yours does. So if you purchase a multi-card reader like the 1
above as I did from Wal-Mart for about $28, you will be able to share
pictures or even other DATA directly between cards right then & there
without having to install drivers that might cause conflicts on your PC.
Don't know about you but I never travel with my camera's software CDs.

The review explains the utility of such a reader so I won't reinvent the
wheel here. Just thought I would offer this suggestion since these readers
are not much more expensive than a single type card reader.

Just me 2 cents worth which I hope somebody may fine of value.

Respectfully, DHB

"CSM1" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newstVxb.5851$(E-Mail Removed) igy.com...
> "Phil Schuman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:z6Txb.6562$(E-Mail Removed) .com...
> > A friend came over for the holidays,
> > and brought his Olympus D-520 digital camera.
> > After shooting some family shoits,
> > he later asked if I had a USB connection... sure -
> > Well - duh - let's really muddy the waters -
> > http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/usb_minicables.html
> >
> > So now we have USB 1.0, 1.1, 2.0
> > and the new crop of "mini" connectors
> > that don't really have a "name" for each version...
> >
> > So what used to be a simple question,
> > like - do you have a USB port... sure -
> > now becomes a Q&A test for connectors.
> >

> Yes, it does on the camera end. The Computer end is the same.
>
> If one is to bring their camera, one must also bring their USB cable and
> their software installation CD when they come to a friend's house.
>
> --
> CSM1
> http://www.carlmcmillan.com

Charlie Self

erimies asks:

>>Yes, it does on the camera end. The Computer end is the same.
>>
>>If one is to bring their camera, one must also bring their USB cable and
>>their software installation CD when they come to a friend's house.

>whatever happened to plug and play?

Talk to the camera makers. My Minolta 7i was a direct plug and play through a
Lexar reader, but it also worked with the USB cable off the camera, in two
computers. The USB cable is different on the camera end than others I've had.
the programs may differ, too. You may need a disc if you're using a computer
that doesn't have XP. And you will need a disc if you want to deal with RAW
files on another computer.

Charlie Self

"Say what you will about the ten commandments, you must always come back to the
pleasant fact that there are only ten of them." H. L. Mencken

someone

On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 04:43:00 GMT, "CSM1" <(E-Mail Removed)> posted:

>"Phil Schuman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:z6Txb.6562$(E-Mail Removed) y.com...
>> A friend came over for the holidays,
>> and brought his Olympus D-520 digital camera.
>> After shooting some family shoits,
>> he later asked if I had a USB connection... sure -
>> Well - duh - let's really muddy the waters -
>> http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/usb_minicables.html
>>
>> So now we have USB 1.0, 1.1, 2.0
>> and the new crop of "mini" connectors
>> that don't really have a "name" for each version...
>>
>> So what used to be a simple question,
>> like - do you have a USB port... sure -
>> now becomes a Q&A test for connectors.
>>

>Yes, it does on the camera end. The Computer end is the same.
>
>If one is to bring their camera, one must also bring their USB cable and
>their software installation CD when they come to a friend's house.

whatever happened to plug and play?

>--
>CSM1
>http://www.carlmcmillan.com

ThermosBoy (TM)

On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 02:02:07 GMT, "Phil Schuman"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>So now we have USB 1.0, 1.1, 2.0
>and the new crop of "mini" connectors
>that don't really have a "name" for each version...
>
>So what used to be a simple question,
>like - do you have a USB port... sure -
>now becomes a Q&A test for connectors.

I had no idea they had so many mini connectors. The ones on the left
of that page are the only ones I've played with. I agree it's stupid
and confusing. I think the others might be proprietary versions.

Aardvark

"someone" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 04:43:00 GMT, "CSM1"

<(E-Mail Removed)> posted:
> >"Phil Schuman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

message
> >news:z6Txb.6562$(E-Mail Removed) y.com...
> >> So what used to be a simple question,
> >> like - do you have a USB port... sure -
> >> now becomes a Q&A test for connectors.

There are 2 standard physical USB connectors at the device end -
the normal USB "B" ( "A" is the end that goes to the PC ) and
the mini-USB. Both are available for USB 1.x and 2.0, and are
used on many devices, including digital wallets, printers, etc.
Many camera manufactures use their own version of the USB plug
on the camera end ( eg, Minolta ). Some, like Canon, use the
standard mini USB plug. Almost all are USB 1.1. The end that
plugs into the computer is the same ("A") regardless.

Simple solution : buy a card reader. A SD/CF/MS/SM card reader
is around US$20-30. Cheaper, faster, and easier than fiddling
with cables.

Donald Gray

On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 02:02:07 GMT, "Phil Schuman"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

[]
#
>http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/usb_minicables.html

I have been looking for an economical place to buy a Nikon type mini
usb - thanks...

I am interested in making up a simple release cable, either by adding
on switches or a small amount of electronics. The camera in question
is the 5700.

I have the pinouts. The main problem is that I do not know the usb
protocols. Can anyone help.

(I have experience in writing assembler & VB s/w for i/o using serial
and parallel ports, but know b.a. about usb 1 or 2)

Pointers anyone? Thanks
--
Donald Gray
www.odcombe.demon.co.uk

CSM1

"Donald Gray" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 02:02:07 GMT, "Phil Schuman"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> []
> #
> >http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/usb_minicables.html
> >

> I have been looking for an economical place to buy a Nikon type mini
> usb - thanks...
>
> I am interested in making up a simple release cable, either by adding
> on switches or a small amount of electronics. The camera in question
> is the 5700.
>
> I have the pinouts. The main problem is that I do not know the usb
> protocols. Can anyone help.
>
> (I have experience in writing assembler & VB s/w for i/o using serial
> and parallel ports, but know b.a. about usb 1 or 2)
>
> Pointers anyone? Thanks
> --
> Donald Gray
> Putting ODCOMBE on the Global Village Map!
> www.odcombe.demon.co.uk
> You do not have to email me, but if you wish to...
> Please remove the SafetyPin from my email address first
> Thanks

Usb specs are here.
http://www.usb.org/home

--