Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > PS 7 SLOW!

PS 7 SLOW!

Bill

I just installed PS 7.0 and I find a lot of the features take a long time to
start......for expample when bringing up the drop shadow dialogue box, it
takes over 30 seconds or more before it appears on the screen. I'm using
WinME and my system is a 2.1GHz HP. I rarely have any such problems with
other software.

Anyone else experience this?

Bill

Mark Johnson

"Bill" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I just installed PS 7.0 and I find a lot of the features take a long time to
>start......for expample when bringing up the drop shadow dialogue box, it
>takes over 30 seconds or more before it appears on the screen. I'm using
>WinME and my system is a 2.1GHz HP. I rarely have any such problems with
>other software.

>Anyone else experience this?
>Bill

I'm using an older version, myself. But PS is real good about memory
management. It's a P4 2Ghz, right? with 512M R/W and so on?

Maybe it's just a combination of too much background stuff on a
non-multithreaded box, and a huge image size? But 30 seconds?

bmoag

You should have at least 512mbs ram to run PS7 with file sizes up to 24mb.
The more RAM the better, although many systems made to run WINME can not run
more than 512mbs (a limit of the OS and possibly the motherboard). XP is
more efficient about handling memory than ME and less prone to freezes (but
far from immune).
Check on the preferences to see where your scratch disk is located: if you
have a second hard drive place the Windows swap file and the first photoshop
scratch disk on this drive.
You likely have too many background processes running. The most obvious one
that can be shut off while using PS is your antivirus program. Turn off
instant mesaging, etc.

JPS@no.komm

In message <BnPxb.27552$(E-Mail Removed) >,
"bmoag" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>The more RAM the better, although many systems made to run WINME can not run
>more than 512mbs (a limit of the OS and possibly the motherboard)

WinME can use up to 1 gigabyte of RAM, if the motherboard supports it.
With more than 600 MB of RAM, though, you must set the MaxFileCache to
524288 KB or less.
--

<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
John P Sheehy <(E-Mail Removed)>
><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><

Tony Spadaro

Either it's a scratch disc problem -- buy a seond hard drive to use for
Photoshop's scratch disc and everythign will run faster -- or it's a RAM
problem -- how much do you have?. In reality these problems are rather
interelated, so I guess there is a third option: buy a second hard drive AND
get more RAM.

--
http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto
> I just installed PS 7.0 and I find a lot of the features take a long time

> start......for expample when bringing up the drop shadow dialogue box, it
> takes over 30 seconds or more before it appears on the screen. I'm using
> WinME and my system is a 2.1GHz HP. I rarely have any such problems with
> other software.
>
> Anyone else experience this?
>
> Bill

Piet Beertema

Bill wrote:
> I just installed PS 7.0 and I find a lot of the features take a long time
> to start... for expample when bringing up the drop shadow dialogue box,
> it takes over 30 seconds or more before it appears on the screen.
> I'm using WinME and my system is a 2.1GHz HP.

On an old PII 400MHz, 256MB RAM, Win2k, it works faster than the speed
of light, so to speak: using an 18MB pic, duplicated into a new layer,
said dialogue box shows up in about 1.5 sec. Very likely you're having
a pagefile or temp file problem; defrag the disk(s) where they reside
on and make your pagefile fixed size.

-p

Chris Cox

Most likely you're running into resource limits in Win9X.
Upgrading to Win2K/XP would solve that.
Quitting other applications to free up a few more resources would also
help. (why they had such lousy limits, I'll never know...)

Chris

In article <VzOxb.10055$dO2.7054@lakeread03>, Bill
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I just installed PS 7.0 and I find a lot of the features take a long time to
> start......for expample when bringing up the drop shadow dialogue box, it
> takes over 30 seconds or more before it appears on the screen. I'm using
> WinME and my system is a 2.1GHz HP. I rarely have any such problems with
> other software.
>
> Anyone else experience this?
>
> Bill

LauraK

>Most likely you're running into resource limits in Win9X.
>Upgrading to Win2K/XP would solve that.
>Quitting other applications to free up a few more resources would also
>help. (why they had such lousy limits, I'll never know...)

Because at the time they were written, their "limits" far exceeded the
capabilities of any system available.

http://www.madmousergraphics.com
web design, print design, photography

Chris Cox

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, LauraK
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >Most likely you're running into resource limits in Win9X.
> >Upgrading to Win2K/XP would solve that.
> >Quitting other applications to free up a few more resources would also
> >help. (why they had such lousy limits, I'll never know...)

> Because at the time they were written, their "limits" far exceeded the
> capabilities of any system available.

No, they didn't.
NT had no such limits, and MacOS had no such limits.
Only Win9X.

Paolo Pizzi

Bill wrote:

> I just installed PS 7.0 and I find a lot of the features take a long
> time to start......for expample when bringing up the drop shadow
> dialogue box, it takes over 30 seconds or more before it appears on
> the screen. I'm using WinME and my system is a 2.1GHz HP. I rarely
> have any such problems with other software.
>
> Anyone else experience this?

Sounds like your scratch disk is full and/or heavily fragmented.

Buy a new fast (7200 rpm) HD, put it in a USB 2.0 box, hook
it up to your system, format it and move the scratch disk from
the system disk to the external HD (you can do that from the
preferences menu of PS.)

Then your PS will fly...