Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Canon Ixus 400 Vs. Kodak DX6440

Canon Ixus 400 Vs. Kodak DX6440

steve wiser

I got a new DX6340 today for Christmas and it does not work with my
Win2K SP4.

What can I do. I downloaded the 18 meg file and loaded it after the
CD Software failed to install with an error "12-17-1603" telling me
nothing. Kodak software site tells me that their information system
is updating and to come back in 15 minutes but for four hours I still
get the 15 minute update notice.

Things observed. Explorer sees the camera as a disk drive but fails
in reading it giving me a "do I want to format the drive" error.
Should I let Win2K format the camera? If so do I lose the abilty to
actually use the camera as it is? I am afraid I am going to have to
return it and get some other makers unit.

The new Kodak 3.2 software does not see the device that the computer
sees, therefore I am not able to get any downloads.

Why do people (KODAK) insist on doing things off standard? This just
makes things so messy and almost impossible to fix. I do not
appreciate the noted flexibility in being totally stopped from using
my new camera.

Sounds like Kodak is taking a lesson out of Gateway Computers new
commercial software program in failing customers.

Some Christmas present Kodak!!!!!

Steve

"Ron Baird" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<br2frd$dsp$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> [...]
> Kodak software support to better assist with problems. The software is
> actually excellent and readily available via the Kodak website and will auto
> install for you. Relatively simple process. We also include the Kodak
> Updater that will update your system automatically behind the scene. So,
> there will be no need to dial into Kodak every time there is an upgrade.
> Rather, we deliver it to you when the transmission is complete.
>
> Even if you are on a dial up modem, it should not be too time consuming to
> download if you have a good connection and monitor the progress. Since this
> is not to your liking, I can help further if you want to supply me your
> personal information off line. I am quite confident I could have gotten
> EasyShare to run on your system.
>
> By the way, Kodak cameras use an industry standard transport protocol known
> as Picture transfer Protocol (PTP). To abstract the camera into the system
> as a hard drive, we use the Microsoft Installable File System (IFS) that
> allows us to present the camera as a drive. Note: The PTP is used by many
> camera manufactures. It gives the option to set the camera date and time
> every time it connects, which helps organize pictures by date. In addition,
> we can communicate with the camera to write data back to the camera itself,
> an advanced option for features to come.
>
> Also Note: The USB MASS Storage Device Classes (USB MSDC) transport protocol
> is also used in the industry, (not by Kodak) which makes the camera
> behave as a card reader. This protocol does not enable the communication
> flexibility needed by Kodak cameras.
>
> Talk to you soon, Siddhartha, glad to help you with questions you might have
> about Kodak in the future.
>
> Ron Baird
> Eastman Kodak Company
>

> "Siddhartha Jain" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > My advise, don't buy Kodak!!!
> >
> > Let me explain why. All digital cameras connect to the PC's USB port
> > and are instantly recognised as a drive. Not so with Kodak. For Kodak,
> > you have to install Kodak's drivers for the PC to recognise it. That
> > means you need to carry the Kodak CD everywhere.
> >
> > This is not the end of it. The software supplied by Kodak did not work
> > for Windows 2000 SP4. Instead, they suggested that I roll-back to SP3
> > or download the 18MB upgraded software from their site.
> >
> > The upgraded software is only web-installable. That means you cannot
> > download it and cut a CD. Instead the PC on which you are installing
> > the software must be connected to the internet. And its 18Mbytes!!!
> >
> > I asked Kodak for a downloadable installer and they asked me to buy
> > the new software from them!!
> >
> > All in all, its a horrible experience for me.
> >
> > As for Olympus C-750, its a great camera. I especially liked its
> > low-light photographs. Its really good for its price. I would advise
> > you to buy the Olympus C-750 or Canon G3.

Ron Hunter

steve wiser wrote:

> [...]
>>>you have to install Kodak's drivers for the PC to recognise it. That
>>>means you need to carry the Kodak CD everywhere.
>>>
>>>This is not the end of it. The software supplied by Kodak did not work
>>>for Windows 2000 SP4. Instead, they suggested that I roll-back to SP3
>>>or download the 18MB upgraded software from their site.
>>>
>>>The upgraded software is only web-installable. That means you cannot
>>>download it and cut a CD. Instead the PC on which you are installing
>>>the software must be connected to the internet. And its 18Mbytes!!!
>>>
>>>I asked Kodak for a downloadable installer and they asked me to buy
>>>the new software from them!!
>>>
>>>All in all, its a horrible experience for me.
>>>
>>>As for Olympus C-750, its a great camera. I especially liked its
>>>low-light photographs. Its really good for its price. I would advise
>>>you to buy the Olympus C-750 or Canon G3.

Actually, the new standard is PTP, and most of the new cameras are
adopting it. The best solution to your problem all things considered is
to buy a card reader. These are cheap, usually faster than the camera,
and will work just find with Win2k.

JSN61

try this disconnect the camera uninstall all the software e install all the
kodak software and then reconnect the camera .
I use 2000 me and its kinda picky what and how i install programs this worked
for me good luck
Jerry
remove no spam to e mail