Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Kodak 6340/6440 vs Sony P72/P8 vs Olympus C 730/740

Kodak 6340/6440 vs Sony P72/P8 vs Olympus C 730/740

Siddhartha Jain

Hello,

I am looking for a new digital camera. I am clear about my
requirements:
1. Pref 3MP or above.

2. Small and lightweight. I have a small 2.1 MP CMOS camera now which
fits in my shirt pocket. And I take lots of pics with it because it is
so easy to carry around. I doubt that would be the case if I switched
to a bigger camera.

3. Auto-focus.

4. Major requirement - Ability to shoot indoors, in low-light and
generally brighter photos. My current humble camera gives me shots
like this in daylight
http://www.geocities.com/losttoy2000...e/DSCI0003.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/losttoy2000...e/DSCI0030.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/losttoy2000...e/DSCI0163.JPG

Indoors and low-light is simply BAD:
http://www.geocities.com/losttoy2000...e/DSCI0007.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/losttoy2000...e/DSCI0001.JPG
http://www.geocities.com/losttoy2000...e/DSCI0054.jpg

As you can see the shaded areas turn up bad and low-light is a
disaster. Although, the camera has white-balance modes like shadow and
sunlight, which I guess, would solve some of the problems but I want
point-and-shoot. Not because I can't do manual adjustments but because
many-a-times the moment slips away while you fiddle with the
adjustments.

My friend just bought a Olympus C-350 - 3.2 MP.

I took some photos indoors in the night and to my amazement the photos
were just as bad as my 2.1-CMOS camera's!!!

So I looked for reviews of C-730, 740 and 750 which seem good except
that they are big and I don't really need all that zoom. I can't ever
recall using zoom. Though I appreciate good macro mode photos.

So to sum-up,
1. 3MP or above.
2. Point-and-shoot
3. Low-light and indoors.
4. Light-weight and small.
5. Auto-focus

So I looked and read on the net. And Am I looking at Kodak 6340/6440
or Sony P72/P8 or Olympus C-730/740 (compare without the zooms)?

TIA,

Siddhartha

**Firre**

"Siddhartha Jain" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelandet
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Hello,
>
> I am looking for a new digital camera. I am clear about my
> requirements:
> 1. Pref 3MP or above.
>
> 2. Small and lightweight. I have a small 2.1 MP CMOS camera now which
> fits in my shirt pocket. And I take lots of pics with it because it is
> so easy to carry around. I doubt that would be the case if I switched
> to a bigger camera.
>
> 3. Auto-focus.
>
> 4. Major requirement - Ability to shoot indoors, in low-light and
> generally brighter photos. My current humble camera gives me shots
> like this in daylight
> http://www.geocities.com/losttoy2000...e/DSCI0003.jpg
> http://www.geocities.com/losttoy2000...e/DSCI0030.jpg
> http://www.geocities.com/losttoy2000...e/DSCI0163.JPG
>
> Indoors and low-light is simply BAD:
> http://www.geocities.com/losttoy2000...e/DSCI0007.jpg
> http://www.geocities.com/losttoy2000...e/DSCI0001.JPG
> http://www.geocities.com/losttoy2000...e/DSCI0054.jpg
>
> As you can see the shaded areas turn up bad and low-light is a
> disaster. Although, the camera has white-balance modes like shadow and
> sunlight, which I guess, would solve some of the problems but I want
> point-and-shoot. Not because I can't do manual adjustments but because
> many-a-times the moment slips away while you fiddle with the
> adjustments.
>
> My friend just bought a Olympus C-350 - 3.2 MP.

> I took some photos indoors in the night and to my amazement the photos
> were just as bad as my 2.1-CMOS camera's!!!
>
> So I looked for reviews of C-730, 740 and 750 which seem good except
> that they are big and I don't really need all that zoom. I can't ever
> recall using zoom. Though I appreciate good macro mode photos.
>
> So to sum-up,
> 1. 3MP or above.
> 2. Point-and-shoot
> 3. Low-light and indoors.
> 4. Light-weight and small.
> 5. Auto-focus
>
> So I looked and read on the net. And Am I looking at Kodak 6340/6440
> or Sony P72/P8 or Olympus C-730/740 (compare without the zooms)?
>
> TIA,
>
> Siddhartha

I would go for the Kodak 6340/6440. I have a CX6230 and this is the one that
had the "best in test" in the pricegroup up to 250US$, and i think it was
the most end best for the money. It had a good grip and it had all the
cameras up to 650US$ had.

/M

Ron Baird

Greetings Siddhartha,

I can appreciate your frustration. I do want to help you.

From the examples you have shared it is apparent that your shots have been
underexposed. Since you do not have control over the exposure with the
camera you have chosen you may want to move up a click to the DX6490 model,
which has external flash connections. You can attach a more powerful flash
that will significantly extend the flash range and good results. Be sure to
use a flash with an external sensor as auto flashes will not synch with the
camera. Rather, it only The camera will accept a low voltage pulse option
to fire your flash. The noted camera does have many options for setting
aperture, and shutter to also improve results.

Read over the following pages to get more details.
http://www.kodak.com/go/dx6490 and http://www.kodak.com/go/dx6440

Once you have reviewed these options, let me know if you want more
information and I will be glad to help further. You do have some control
over your exposure with the DX6440 so you can improve results such as under
or over exposure. Just choose the PAS mode so you can adjust your camera
for aperture priority, shutter priority, or program. You can make your own
selections.

Hope this helps, Siddhartha, but if you have other questions, let me know
and I will follow through for you.

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company

> Hello,
>
> I am looking for a new digital camera. I am clear about my
> requirements:
> 1. Pref 3MP or above.
>
> 2. Small and lightweight. I have a small 2.1 MP CMOS camera now which
> fits in my shirt pocket. And I take lots of pics with it because it is
> so easy to carry around. I doubt that would be the case if I switched
> to a bigger camera.
>
> 3. Auto-focus.
>
> 4. Major requirement - Ability to shoot indoors, in low-light and
> generally brighter photos. My current humble camera gives me shots
> like this in daylight

Siddhartha Jain

Hello Ron,

Thanks for the information. I went to the Kodak/Olympus dealer here in
Muscat, Oman looking forward to compare Kodak 6440/6490 and Olympus
C-4000/730/750. Unfortunately, they did not have the Kodak 6440/6490
is stock and weren't expecting it arrive anytime sooner than a month.
So I bought a Olympus C-750.

Anyways, I still have a budget for buying another digicam for
girlfriend. Now that could be a Kodak I really liked the ease of
use and interface of the 6340.

Siddhartha