Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Remote Capture

Remote Capture

Andy

What is "Remote Capture" program. I found a link to download it but there is
no description about it. It is a program which will let me compose a picture
on my computer's monitor instead on camera's LCD ?

Jim Townsend

Andy wrote:

> What is "Remote Capture" program. I found a link to download it but there is
> no description about it. It is a program which will let me compose a picture
> on my computer's monitor instead on camera's LCD ?

Can't answer that without a bit more detail..

There is remote capture software for digital cameras that allows you to compose
pictures on a computer monitor and take pictures remotely.

But.. This software is manufacturer and camera specific. It's generally
included in the box with digital cameras. Not all cameras are capable of
displaying a live image on the screen. Also note, each camera capable of
this needs it's own software.. Nikon image capture won't work with Canon
cameras and vice versa.

What camera do you have.. What software are you looking at ?

Fuzzy Logic

"Andy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:l7pxb.70590$(E-Mail Removed) ble.rogers.com:

> What is "Remote Capture" program. I found a link to download it but
> there is no description about it. It is a program which will let me
> compose a picture on my computer's monitor instead on camera's LCD ?

If you are referring to the software for Canon camera's it allows you to
remotely operate you camera from your computer via the USB cable.

gilbert grape

And I should also chime in and add that it appears that you cannot do a live
preview with the Canon software (at least I have not been able to figure it
out)--- review yes, after the shot is taken, but not preview the shot before
it is taken.

"Fuzzy Logic" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> "Andy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:l7pxb.70590$(E-Mail Removed) ble.rogers.com:
>
> > What is "Remote Capture" program. I found a link to download it but
> > there is no description about it. It is a program which will let me
> > compose a picture on my computer's monitor instead on camera's LCD ?

> If you are referring to the software for Canon camera's it allows you to
> remotely operate you camera from your computer via the USB cable.

Zol.

You can use the viewfinder mode switch in the `Detail Setting` menus under angle adjustment
or is this not what you
meant ? Zol.

"gilbert grape" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:dBQxb.18065$(E-Mail Removed) hlink.net...
> And I should also chime in and add that it appears that you cannot do a live
> preview with the Canon software (at least I have not been able to figure it
> out)--- review yes, after the shot is taken, but not preview the shot before
> it is taken.

gilbert grape

Most of the research I have done (mainly in the Canon dpreview forum)
indicates that the viewfinder mode is not supported by the 10D- in fact, the
viewfinder mode switch is greyed out in the program. More research required.

"Zol." <Zol.@The_End_of_The_World.com> wrote in message
news:dXQxb.256386$(E-Mail Removed)...
> You can use the viewfinder mode switch in the `Detail Setting` menus under

angle adjustment
> or is this not what you
> meant ? Zol.
>
> "gilbert grape" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:dBQxb.18065$(E-Mail Removed) hlink.net...
> > And I should also chime in and add that it appears that you cannot do a

live
> > preview with the Canon software (at least I have not been able to figure

it
> > out)--- review yes, after the shot is taken, but not preview the shot

before
> > it is taken.

Ray Murphy

----------
In article <dXQxb.256386$(E-Mail Removed)>, "Zol."
<Zol.@The_End_of_The_World.com> wrote:

>You can use the viewfinder mode switch in the `Detail Setting` menus under
>angle adjustment
>or is this not what you
>meant ? Zol.
>
>"gilbert grape" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:dBQxb.18065$(E-Mail Removed) thlink.net...
>> And I should also chime in and add that it appears that you cannot do a

>live
>> preview with the Canon software (at least I have not been able to figure it
>> out)--- review yes, after the shot is taken, but not preview the shot

>before
>> it is taken.

RM: I don't know the first thing about remote capture, but it seems
obvious that one would view the scene in webcam mode, and then switch
to camera mode to take the photo (unless you wanted a low grade webcam
pic).

It seems that all remote cameras would need stepper-motors to control
movement, although such devices could be controlled independently of
the viewing PC. They could even be controlled with pulleys with long
string attached, or model plane radio controllers.

Ray

Zol.

Aha, maybe a a firmware update could add this in that case - I must admit it would make it
pretty difficult to setup without being physically behind the camera. sorry, I didn`t see
the remark about the 10D ... Zol.

news:ICUxb.18279$(E-Mail Removed) hlink.net...