Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > 10D focus-assist beam

10D focus-assist beam

Leigh Hanlon

I've noticed that when I'm using the Canon 10D's built-in flash, the
focus-assist really doesn't do much to help lock focus. The lens still hunts
around a lot. If that weren't bad enough, my subjects interpret the assist
beam as a successful flash exposure.

Casual nighttime flash with the 10D is proving to be way inferior to what I
can get with my PowerShot S40. I'm considering turning off the assist beam
altogether.

Has anybody else had a similar experience?

Leigh Hanlon
Chicago, USA

Todd Walker

In article <BBE97CE0.B73%(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
says...
> I've noticed that when I'm using the Canon 10D's built-in flash, the
> focus-assist really doesn't do much to help lock focus. The lens still hunts
> around a lot. If that weren't bad enough, my subjects interpret the assist
> beam as a successful flash exposure.
>
> Casual nighttime flash with the 10D is proving to be way inferior to what I
> can get with my PowerShot S40. I'm considering turning off the assist beam
> altogether.
>
> Has anybody else had a similar experience?
>
> Leigh Hanlon
> Chicago, USA

I use a 420EX most of the time and its bright red AF assist is what is
used but on the occassions where I've used the assist on the internal
flash, it's worked perfectly -- better even than the beams on my G1 and
G2.

--
__________________________________
Todd Walker
http://www.toddwalker.net/canon10d
__________________________________

George Preddy

"Leigh Hanlon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:BBE97CE0.B73%(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've noticed that when I'm using the Canon 10D's built-in flash, the
> focus-assist really doesn't do much to help lock focus. The lens still

hunts
> around a lot. If that weren't bad enough, my subjects interpret the assist
> beam as a successful flash exposure.
>
> Casual nighttime flash with the 10D is proving to be way inferior to what

> can get with my PowerShot S40. I'm considering turning off the assist beam
> altogether.
>
> Has anybody else had a similar experience?

You can add an true focus assist beam with a good ext. flash. They work
pretty well, but at close range the beam can sail high.

Mark Hanson

"Leigh Hanlon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:BBE97CE0.B73%(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've noticed that when I'm using the Canon 10D's built-in flash, the
> focus-assist really doesn't do much to help lock focus. The lens still

hunts
> around a lot. If that weren't bad enough, my subjects interpret the assist
> beam as a successful flash exposure.
>
> Casual nighttime flash with the 10D is proving to be way inferior to what

> can get with my PowerShot S40. I'm considering turning off the assist beam
> altogether.
>
> Has anybody else had a similar experience?

Everyone else, I'd imagine. The 10D focuses just as well without the
annoying flashy thing, except in low light. Get a 420EX, and use it with or
without the flash; the flash assist is great.

Mark