Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Is there a Nikon 2x teleconverter that will AF with D100 and Nikkor 60mm 2.8??

Is there a Nikon 2x teleconverter that will AF with D100 and Nikkor 60mm 2.8??

nick

I've looked and can only find non-Nikon TC's that say they will auto focus
with the D100.

This
http://www.nikonusa.com/template.php...productNr=2130
is the only 2x teleconverter at Nikon.com and the list of suggested lenses
does not include the 60mm 2.8 macro.

What is the best 2x that would fit?
Is it AF or MF?

I could live with MF if I had to.

Thank you,
Nick

Paolo Pizzi

nick wrote:

> I've looked and can only find non-Nikon TC's that say
> they will auto focus with the D100.

What's wrong with that? Some third-party TC's are actually
*better* than Nikon's (whose current models are all pretty
old.)

Here's a list of good candidates:

- Tamron SP 1.4x
- Tamron SP 2x
- Kenko TelePlus Pro 300 2x
- Kenko TelePlus Pro 300 3x (*)
- Sigma APO EX 1.4x
- Sigma APO EX 2x

(*) This one will only autofocus with lenses
f/2.8 or faster.

I haven't tried the Sigmas but I was told they're pretty
good. I have the Tamron SP 2x and the Kenko 3x
and they're both as good as TC's can get. They both
work great with both my F100 and D100.

Sam Smith

Better? In what way? How measured? I'm not defending Nikon, just would
like the source of your statement (there are way too many unfounded "facts"
on the Usenet...)

news:J9Vwb.26245$(E-Mail Removed) om...

Sam Smith wrote:

> Better? In what way? How measured? I'm not defending Nikon, just
> would like the source of your statement (there are way too many
> unfounded "facts" on the Usenet...)

I have used Nikon TC's and my current TC's (none of which is Nikon) and I
can compare the results. I'd say optically they're on a par but the
third-party TC's can autofocus very well and the Nikons can't. I'd recommend
the Kenko TelePlus Pro 300 (available in 2x and 3x.) It's not really much
cheaper than a genuine Nikon, this is a high-quality TC with APO glass.

What I claim is no "fact" but merely my unbiased opinion. I have used Nikons
for over 25 years, so I'm not exactly a clueless newbie.