Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Has Leica given up on digital photography?

Has Leica given up on digital photography?

ArtKramr

Have they?

Arthur Kramer
344th BG 494th BS
Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer

B÷wser

I think Leica is suffering from an inability to adapt to a very rapidly
changing marketplace, much like Nikon, Minolta, and everyone but Canon.
Should Leica produce a "digital M?" Would digital camera buyers buy a
digital rangefinder that uses M lenses? I doubt it. The game has changed,
and companies that have traditionally produced cameras that could last for
decades simply cannot shift their culture toward a flavor of the month
camera, like Canon has done. I think the shakeout has just begun, and that
digital imaging is still in its infancy. Who knows where Leica will end up?
In the meantime, I don't see film disappearing anytime soon, even though
digital will continue to eat away at market share.

"ArtKramr" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Have they?
>

> Arthur Kramer
> 344th BG 494th BS
> England, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany
> Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
> http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer

ArtKramr

>Subject: Re: Has Leica given up on digital photography?
>From: "B÷wser" http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
>Date: 11/24/03 8:07 AM Pacific Standard Time
>
>I think Leica is suffering from an inability to adapt to a very rapidly
>changing marketplace, much like Nikon, Minolta, and everyone but Canon.
>Should Leica produce a "digital M?" Would digital camera buyers buy a
>digital rangefinder that uses M lenses? I doubt it. The game has changed,
>and companies that have traditionally produced cameras that could last for
>decades simply cannot shift their culture toward a flavor of the month
>camera, like Canon has done. I think the shakeout has just begun, and that
>digital imaging is still in its infancy. Who knows where Leica will end up?
>In the meantime, I don't see film disappearing anytime soon, even though
>digital will continue to eat away at market share.
>
>"ArtKramr" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Have they?
>>

>> Arthur Kramer
>> 344th BG 494th BS
>> England, France, Belgium, Holland, Germany
>> Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
>> http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer

I think that is a good assessment. But Kodak seems to in there fighting biting
and scratching with some degree of success.

Regards,

Arthur Kramer
344th BG 494th BS
Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer

Dave Oddie

On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 11:07:07 -0500, "B├Âwser" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Should Leica produce a "digital M?" Would digital camera buyers buy a
>digital rangefinder that uses M lenses? I doubt it.

They just did. Well almost.

Leica and Panasonic are partners with Leica supplying the optics and Panasonic
the electrics to a new camera that looks very like an M series range finder.

The new camera featured in the UK magazine amateur photographers news section
last week.

This was a manual focus (yes you read that right, manual focus ) Panasonic
camera that looked like a Leica M series cameras. Black rang finder style
body very much styles on the M series.

The lens on the front is styled as a Leica Summicron and is a 28-90mm (35mm
equivalent) F2 optic. Look sa serious attempt to fit a genuine manual focus
Leica lens to a digital camera. Alas the lens if fixed and is not
interchangeable.

In some ways it looks like a Leica lens from the SLR range of lenses has been
bolted on the front of an M series camera.

Sensor is 5 mega-pixels BTW.

Dave

--

Wigan Warriors RLFC - 1998 Super League Champions
(Oh - and Grand Final winners as well)

Trev

"Dave Oddie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]

> The new camera featured in the UK magazine amateur photographers news

section
> last week.
>
> This was a manual focus (yes you read that right, manual focus )

Panasonic
> camera that looked like a Leica M series cameras. Black rang finder

style
> body very much styles on the M series.
>
> The lens on the front is styled as a Leica Summicron and is a 28-90mm

(35mm
> equivalent) F2 optic. Look sa serious attempt to fit a genuine manual

focus
> Leica lens to a digital camera. Alas the lens if fixed and is not
> interchangeable.
>
> In some ways it looks like a Leica lens from the SLR range of lenses

has been
> bolted on the front of an M series camera.

But Leica's don't have Leica Lens They have Lietz Lens,

Trev
Bradford Bulls Just plain Champions of (enter your competition here)

Neil Gould

Recently, ArtKramr <(E-Mail Removed)> posted:

> Have they?

Not from what I've seen. They have a few models of digital rangefinders,
ranging from low-cost to the typical mid-priced digital camera. They also
have announced a digital back for the R9, which allows that model to be
used for either film or digital. Not that I'd run out and get one to
replace my R5, as that has to be one beefy rig...

--
Neil Gould
--------------------------------------

Mxsmanic

ArtKramr writes:

> Have they?

Sounds great to me, if they have.

Mxsmanic

B÷wser writes:

> I think Leica is suffering from an inability to adapt to a very rapidly
> changing marketplace, much like Nikon, Minolta, and everyone but Canon.

Or maybe they prefer to just wait and see. Their customers are not
exactly rioting in favor of digital photography, anyway.

> Should Leica produce a "digital M?" Would digital camera buyers buy a
> digital rangefinder that uses M lenses? I doubt it.

So do I.

> The game has changed, and companies that have traditionally produced
> cameras that could last for decades simply cannot shift their culture
> toward a flavor of the month camera, like Canon has done.

Canon has always been that way. Nikon is more middle-of-the-road.

> Who knows where Leica will end up?

Probably in the same place it has been for decades. The market is
small, but it is pretty stable, too.

I'd buy another M6 TTL if I had the money on hand. I'm not keen on the
M7, and I'm not decided on that other one that supposedly replaces the
M6 TTL.

> In the meantime, I don't see film disappearing anytime soon, even though
> digital will continue to eat away at market share.

Some companies continue to produce new types of film.

Mxsmanic

ArtKramr writes:

> I think that is a good assessment. But Kodak seems to in there fighting biting
> and scratching with some degree of success.

Given Kodak's track record, I tend to regard anything they invest in as
a warning sign to others of what mistakes not to make. If Kodak is
investing greatly in digital, that tells me that digital might not be
the best investment right now.