Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Compression or not?

Compression or not?

Guy Van Rinsveld

What would give the best result : a 3 Megapixels photo compressed in a Jpeg
image or a 2 Megapixels photo uncompressed?

Jim Townsend

Guy Van Rinsveld wrote:

> What would give the best result : a 3 Megapixels photo compressed in a Jpeg
> image or a 2 Megapixels photo uncompressed?

The 3mp image with higher compression would be better.

You want as many pixels as you can get.. Raising compression will add some
artifacts. But.. The extra detail the additional pixels provide will more
than make up for any artifacting the extra compression will introduce.

You can try this.. If you have a 3mp camera, take one at full size, medium
compression, then take another at 1600x1200 (2mp) at low compression. Compare
them.. I'll bet you can't even see the extra artifacting in the 3mp image..

Don Stauffer

Deepnds on what you mean by 'best'. Compression, even jpeg, doesn't
cost much in resolution. The effects are mostly in color fidelity and
artifacts. 3 megs compressed would definitely be higher res than 2
uncompressed, but the uncompressed would possibly be a higher fidelity
image. But it depends a lot on subject matter.

--
Don Stauffer in Minnesota