Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Replacement For Nikon D100?

Replacement For Nikon D100?

Andrew McDonald

Michael Schnell wrote:
>>7 seconds is not really that long. That's how long it takes to write
>>uncompressed RAW images to my Simpletech 512MB card.
>>
>>Now, 40 seconds for compressed RAW is "quite long".

> The real limitation might be that the RAM cache takes less RAP pictures than
> JPGs.

4 vs 6 may be a problem for some. I just don't shoot that way,
especially in RAW. But maybe it's just me.

Howard McCollister

"Andrew McDonald" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:h89wb.11144$(E-Mail Removed) link.net...
> Howard McCollister wrote:
>
> > "Dean S. Lautermilch© ²ºº³" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> >>I have a Nikon N70 with a good collection of lenses that I no longer

use.

> >>had heard that the D100 would use my lenses. I considered getting a D100

> > but
> >
> >>after reading about the problems with the early units, I would rather

wait
> >>for Nikon to release a newer model. Anyone know when Nikon is going to

do
> >>that?
> >>

> > I'm not aware of any problems with the current D100. There was a

firmware
> > upgrade a few months ago, but a review of the Nikon SLR forum on DP

Review
> > certainly gives no hint of any ongoing problems with the camera.

> A few months ago? What version was this? Did it require sending the
> camera in like the last firmware upgrade?

Version 2.00 is the current firmware.

HMc

Gavin Cato

The flash sync is actually 1/180th.

Storing a RAW file is no slower than any of the other DSLR's, put a fast
flash card in and you'll notice a difference.

cheers

Gav

"Michael Schnell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bpr5db$c8a$03$(E-Mail Removed)-online.com...
> I do have a D100 an absolutely no (special) problems with it. The only
> decent (and proven) problem I found in literature is that it can't do less
> then (I think) 1/100 sec with flash. I never had use for that missing
> feature. Moreover It's known that storing RAW pictures (especially
> compressed RAW) takes quite long. I'll do RAW shooting some time, so this
> _might_ show to be a limitation.
>
> OTOH the D100 is a very well proven design and it's not know when it will

be
> replaced by an upgrade by Nikon.
>
> -Michael

Andrew McDonald

Howard McCollister wrote:
>>A few months ago? What version was this? Did it require sending the
>>camera in like the last firmware upgrade?
>>

> Version 2.00 is the current firmware.

Oh, that was last year, not a few months ago. I bought my camera in Nov
2002 and it had 2.0 on it already.

someone

On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 11:17:34 -0500, "Dean S. Lautermilch© ²ºº³"
<(E-Mail Removed)> posted:

>I have a Nikon N70 with a good collection of lenses that I no longer use. I
>had heard that the D100 would use my lenses. I considered getting a D100 but
>after reading about the problems with the early units, I would rather wait
>for Nikon to release a newer model. Anyone know when Nikon is going to do
>that?

what kinds of problems? I am saving up for one at the moment.

Paolo Pizzi

Dean S. Lautermilch© ²ºº³ wrote:

> I have a Nikon N70 with a good collection of lenses that I no longer
> use. I had heard that the D100 would use my lenses. I considered
> getting a D100 but after reading about the problems with the early
> units, I would rather wait for Nikon to release a newer model. Anyone
> know when Nikon is going to do that?

The problems with early units were all related to the v.1.00
firmware. All bugs have been fixed meanwhile and all new
cameras ship with v.2.00 onboard. Even if you bought a
used D100 with v.1.00, Nikon would still replace the firmware
for free.

The D100 is an excellent DSLR, IMHO the best in its
price range.

bob j

Check out the Fuji S2 pro, it is based on the same Nikon Body however
it dosen't have the exposure problems the D100 has and it will TTL ALL
Nikon flashes where as the d100 will only use the dttl flashes,
currently 2 expensive models. Yes the D100 has exposure problems,
especially using flash.

Bob j.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have a Nikon N70 with a good collection of lenses that I no longer use. I
>had heard that the D100 would use my lenses. I considered getting a D100 but
>after reading about the problems with the early units, I would rather wait
>for Nikon to release a newer model. Anyone know when Nikon is going to do
>that?

gsum

Strange, my D100 has no problems with exposure
whether using flash or not. This seems to be either
disinformation or somebody who doesn't know
how to use the camera correctly.

Graham

"bob j" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Check out the Fuji S2 pro, it is based on the same Nikon Body however
> it dosen't have the exposure problems the D100 has and it will TTL ALL
> Nikon flashes where as the d100 will only use the dttl flashes,
> currently 2 expensive models. Yes the D100 has exposure problems,
> especially using flash.
>
> Bob j.
>
> On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 11:17:34 -0500, "Dean S. Lautermilch© ²ºº³"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >I have a Nikon N70 with a good collection of lenses that I no longer use.

> >had heard that the D100 would use my lenses. I considered getting a D100

but
> >after reading about the problems with the early units, I would rather

wait
> >for Nikon to release a newer model. Anyone know when Nikon is going to do
> >that?

Paolo Pizzi

gsum wrote:

> Strange, my D100 has no problems with exposure
> whether using flash or not.

Same with my D100. Either our cameras are
two rare examples or what Bob J. says isn't
true. (Somehow I tend to favor the latter...)

> This seems to be either disinformation or somebody
> who doesn't know how to use the camera correctly.

The usual Canon zealot maybe?

Matt Chamberlain

Same here with my D100. Exposures are right on, even in odd lighting
conditions. Flash expsures are good also.
news:6q%wb.26311$(E-Mail Removed) om...