Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Which filter to purchase with the Canon Digital Rebel Kit?

Which filter to purchase with the Canon Digital Rebel Kit?

Bill Jones

I have heard that using certain filters with the 18-55mm lense that
comes with the Rebel Kit could be problematic because the front of the
lense turns when focusing. Also Polarizing filters require increasing
the f-stop to compensate for their factor. Can someone suggest a good
all around protective filter to use with this lense, ie. UV, Skylight...
And are filters needed in the same way as they are with film based
cameras.

Thanks in Advance,

Bill

DHB

Bill,
search deeper in this news group & your likely to find heated
debates between those that feel that anything placed in front of a lens will
only increase the chances of unwanted reflections, distortion & offer little
or no protection, they recommend a rigid lens hood & occasional gentle
cleaning of the front lens element when needed.

The 2nd group generally contends that cleaning the front lens element
too much can wear away it's anti-reflective coating & thus cause unwanted
reflections. They generally feel that it's a lot cheaper to replace a
filter than have the front lens element replaced if something were to impact
it. Also some people feel a degree of safety with a filter & that too has
value even if the filter rarely saves a lens from damage.

The truth is that both groups are basically correct on these points &
some others that I have not mentioned. Obviously this becomes more of a
personal choice based mostly on ones comfort level & the type of photography
"you" expect to be doing with your camera & lens combination.

My advice would be to balance the pros & cons of both & then decide what
"YOU" fell is best for "YOUR" situation & comfort zone.

What I did & recommend for consideration:

<1> Purchased & installed HOYA HMC UV(0) filters for all 3 of my Digital
Rebel / 300D lenses. These are multi-coated UV filters so that should
greatly reduce the chances of any additional reflections.

<2> When I save enough to purchase a Canon 28-135mm IS lens, I will also
buy a HOYA HMC UV(0) filter & a rigid lens hood for it. Best of both
schools of thought?

<3> Take good care of your lenses & try your best not to place yourself
or them in harms way just to get a better shot. However unexpected things
do happen so this is why "YOU" must decide for yourself after hearing both
sides of the issue.

<4> Don't get a "Skylight" or any similar filter that will interfere
with the AWB of the camera. The Digital Rebel / 300D already does poorly at
setting the white balance indoors (almost always comes out way too warm
"yellowish") & the manual WB presets don't help much but thankfully the
"custom white balance does". But rather than have to keep reprogramming it
for changing light temperatures, I now shoot in RAW mode for most everything
but midday outdoor shoots & indoor external flash shots.

Hope this information is helpful to you & others.

As for some of the others out there, I am putting on my flame retardant
clothing just in case I get flamed from 1 camp or the other or even for
taking the middle ground! <G>

Respectfully, DHB

"Bill Jones" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> I have heard that using certain filters with the 18-55mm lense that
> comes with the Rebel Kit could be problematic because the front of the
> lense turns when focusing. Also Polarizing filters require increasing
> the f-stop to compensate for their factor. Can someone suggest a good
> all around protective filter to use with this lense, ie. UV, Skylight...
> And are filters needed in the same way as they are with film based
> cameras.
>
> Thanks in Advance,
>
> Bill

Bill Jones

In article <C35wb.6209$7%(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
says...
> Bill,
> search deeper in this news group & your likely to find heated
> debates between those that feel that anything placed in front of a lens will
> only increase the chances of unwanted reflections, distortion & offer little
> or no protection, they recommend a rigid lens hood & occasional gentle
> cleaning of the front lens element when needed.
>
> The 2nd group generally contends that cleaning the front lens element
> too much can wear away it's anti-reflective coating & thus cause unwanted
> reflections. They generally feel that it's a lot cheaper to replace a
> filter than have the front lens element replaced if something were to impact
> it. Also some people feel a degree of safety with a filter & that too has
> value even if the filter rarely saves a lens from damage.
>
> The truth is that both groups are basically correct on these points &
> some others that I have not mentioned. Obviously this becomes more of a
> personal choice based mostly on ones comfort level & the type of photography
> "you" expect to be doing with your camera & lens combination.
>
> My advice would be to balance the pros & cons of both & then decide what
> "YOU" fell is best for "YOUR" situation & comfort zone.
>
> What I did & recommend for consideration:
>
> <1> Purchased & installed HOYA HMC UV(0) filters for all 3 of my Digital
> Rebel / 300D lenses. These are multi-coated UV filters so that should
> greatly reduce the chances of any additional reflections.
>
> <2> When I save enough to purchase a Canon 28-135mm IS lens, I will also
> buy a HOYA HMC UV(0) filter & a rigid lens hood for it. Best of both
> schools of thought?
>
> <3> Take good care of your lenses & try your best not to place yourself
> or them in harms way just to get a better shot. However unexpected things
> do happen so this is why "YOU" must decide for yourself after hearing both
> sides of the issue.
>
> <4> Don't get a "Skylight" or any similar filter that will interfere
> with the AWB of the camera. The Digital Rebel / 300D already does poorly at
> setting the white balance indoors (almost always comes out way too warm
> "yellowish") & the manual WB presets don't help much but thankfully the
> "custom white balance does". But rather than have to keep reprogramming it
> for changing light temperatures, I now shoot in RAW mode for most everything
> but midday outdoor shoots & indoor external flash shots.
>
> Hope this information is helpful to you & others.
>
> As for some of the others out there, I am putting on my flame retardant
> clothing just in case I get flamed from 1 camp or the other or even for
> taking the middle ground! <G>

Thanks for all your informative thoughts. What is the reasonning behind
a rigid lense hood vs. the rubber collapsable one?

DHB

Bill,
to answer your question:

What is the reasonning behind a rigid lense hood vs. the rubber
collapsable one?

Rigid lens hoods are usually made out of fairly thin anodized aluminum
which may protect the front part of a lens from an impact including 1 with
the ground if dropped while attempting to change the lens.

A rubber lens hood would likely just collapse & offer little or no
protection. The same is true of a large object hitting near the front of
the lens such as a volleyball or softball (it can happen).

Lastly rigid lens hoods that made by the same company that makes your
lens are often specifically designed for that 1 lens & thus are just wide
enough to keep unwanted light out while not blocking the lens. Conversely
generic rubber lens hoods tend to be wider & shorter, thus are often less
effective at shielding unwanted light.

There are others on this newsgroup with far more knowledge than I who
can probably explain things better than I can but hopefully this proves of
some help in answering your question.

&