Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Questions about digital presentations

Questions about digital presentations

Frank Calidonna

I teach using a lot of slide lectures. I am going to have many of my
slides scanned and am ready to purchase my first digital camera. I have
imaging software, Powerpoint and a couple of slideshow programs too. My
questions concern the other equipment. Right now Wal-Mart has HP laptop
computers for around $800 and Epson is advertising a projector for $999.
What do I need in laptop power to adequately do presentations - video
cards, hard drive space, memory, etc? Does anyone have experience with
the Epson projector? Thank you for your help.

Frank Rome, NY

Mr3

"Frank Calidonna" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> What do I need in laptop power to adequately do presentations - video
> cards, hard drive space, memory, etc?

Most presentations are done in PowerPoint.
If the computer can run MS PowerPoint, you can do presentations.
Video Card - N/A. The notebook computer sees the projector as an alternate
display device; i.e., another 'monitor'. Make sure the notebook you are
considering has an SVGA monitor connector.

Hard Drive Space / Memory - More is better. No special requirements for
presentations.

You can go used or really cheap if the notebook is a second computer used
only for presentations since all you need to do is run a PowerPoint show.

Something else to consider: I have seen cutting edge PowerPoint shows done
from PDA's.

HTH

Mr3

Mark Herring

Epson has a projector that has built-in Wi-Fi. That might be useful
to you also.

On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 03:45:50 GMT, Frank Calidonna
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I teach using a lot of slide lectures. I am going to have many of my
>slides scanned and am ready to purchase my first digital camera. I have
>imaging software, Powerpoint and a couple of slideshow programs too. My
>questions concern the other equipment. Right now Wal-Mart has HP laptop
>computers for around $800 and Epson is advertising a projector for $999.
>What do I need in laptop power to adequately do presentations - video
>cards, hard drive space, memory, etc? Does anyone have experience with
>the Epson projector? Thank you for your help.
>
> Frank Rome, NY

**************************
Mark Herring, Pasadena, Calif.
Private e-mail: Just say no to "No".

Marvin Margoshes

"Frank Calidonna" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I teach using a lot of slide lectures. I am going to have many of my
> slides scanned and am ready to purchase my first digital camera. I have
> imaging software, Powerpoint and a couple of slideshow programs too. My
> questions concern the other equipment. Right now Wal-Mart has HP laptop
> computers for around $800 and Epson is advertising a projector for $999.
> What do I need in laptop power to adequately do presentations - video
> cards, hard drive space, memory, etc? Does anyone have experience with
> the Epson projector? Thank you for your help.
>
> Frank Rome, NY

A laptop is not the best choice for image editing. The displays have poor
color rendition, except perhaps on the very expensive laptops.

The new projectors in the $1000 range are quite good. There was a review of
some in PC Magazine earlier this year. Look for it on the magazine's Web
site. The review points out that these projectors don't have as good
resolution as the more expensive projectors, but it also remarks that if a
PowerPoint slide needs higher resolution to be read, it is too busy a slide
with too small letters anyway.

Robert Strom

I don't know who makes it, but I remember reading about some video
projectors that can accept memory cards (and?) mini zip drives that
allow you to show you prsentation w/o a computer hooked up to it.

Sorry that is all I remember, but it seems like a good solution for
your needs

Rob Storm

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I teach using a lot of slide lectures. I am going to have many of my
>slides scanned and am ready to purchase my first digital camera. I have
>imaging software, Powerpoint and a couple of slideshow programs too. My
>questions concern the other equipment. Right now Wal-Mart has HP laptop
>computers for around $800 and Epson is advertising a projector for $999.
>What do I need in laptop power to adequately do presentations - video
>cards, hard drive space, memory, etc? Does anyone have experience with
>the Epson projector? Thank you for your help.
>
> Frank Rome, NY

Mark Herring

On Thu, 27 Nov 2003 12:27:51 GMT, Robert Strom
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I don't know who makes it, but I remember reading about some video
>projectors that can accept memory cards (and?) mini zip drives that
>allow you to show you prsentation w/o a computer hooked up to it.
>
>Sorry that is all I remember, but it seems like a good solution for
>your needs
>
>Rob Storm

Epson makes a projector with built-in WiFi. I'm sure someone else
does also
**************************
Mark Herring, Pasadena, Calif.
Private e-mail: Just say no to "No".

HRosita

>Robert Strom wrote:

>I don't know who makes it, but I remember reading about some video
>>projectors that can accept memory cards

Hi,

The Epson 735C has a port for PCMCIA card and so does the Mitsubitchi XD50U.

there are more. I suggest you check out:
www.peopleprojectors.com

the have a very large selection and you can search by exactly the specs you
need.

Rosita