Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Olympus D-340R question

Olympus D-340R question

Jonathan

I just bought the above camera used, without realizing that it was not
set for USB.

I have a Mac G3-350 with system 9.2.2, and it will not accept the 9 pin
serial connector that the camera uses for Windows, and the 5 pin old
style modem connection of the older PowerMacs.

It came with a disk for "Olympus Utility" not clear what version, and I
have an installed copy of Camedia 2.5, neither of which will recognize
the camera when it is hooked up with the 9 pin to USB adapter.

Can anyone tell me if there is a existing work around for this problem?

I would appreciate any help. I bought this because I need to show picts
of stuff on ebay I need to sell cause I am out of work.

Thanks,

Jonathan

Ken Weitzel

Hi...

Realizing that you're temporarily out of work and so probably
watching your cash...

If you can find another few bucks you'll be miles further
ahead buying a card reader - even a used one if you can
try it out. Serial is slooooow. Even at 115k a 3.6 meg
picture takes about 6 min to transfer. And serial is
picky and finicky.

If that's out of the question, I've had several Olympus
cameras, each of which came with a Mac adapter. They're
all still sitting here. I know nothing about Mac's;
but if you write me I'll be happy to send you picture(s)
of one. Then, if it's what you need I'll be happy to
mail it to you... free... if you really insist you
can repay the postage *when* you find another job and get
back firmly on your feet.

Take care.
Ken (in canada, btw)

Jonathan wrote:
> I just bought the above camera used, without realizing that it was not
> set for USB.
>
> I have a Mac G3-350 with system 9.2.2, and it will not accept the 9 pin
> serial connector that the camera uses for Windows, and the 5 pin old
> style modem connection of the older PowerMacs.
>
> It came with a disk for "Olympus Utility" not clear what version, and I
> have an installed copy of Camedia 2.5, neither of which will recognize
> the camera when it is hooked up with the 9 pin to USB adapter.
>
> Can anyone tell me if there is a existing work around for this problem?
>
> I would appreciate any help. I bought this because I need to show picts
> of stuff on ebay I need to sell cause I am out of work.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jonathan

Todd Walker

> Can anyone tell me if there is a existing work around for this problem?

Buy a USB card reader. About $15-20 and you're set.

--
Todd Walker