Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Li-ion battery degradation

Li-ion battery degradation

Fuzzfactor

Lithium ion batteries are known for their high power density, but they do
degrade after many charge/discharge cycles. I'd be interested if any Li-ion
battery users who have had their cameras at least a couple years give me
feedback on how your battery life holds up?

Thanks, F

EdO

I have had the Olympus LiPO grip/battery for the E10 for about two years
and although I have not run that many charge cycles it seem to have as
good a capacity now as new and holds the charge over a long period of time.

My understanding of the Lithium Ion Polymer batteries is that they work
very well over their life but they do have a finite shelf life in an
unused state. I do not know the maximum shelf life but that after two
to three years the usable capacity is down by at least 30%. So the
moral of this story is if you use LiPO be sure the battery is of recent
manufacture when you put it into service to get the maximum life from it.

EdO

Fuzzfactor wrote:
> Lithium ion batteries are known for their high power density, but they do
> degrade after many charge/discharge cycles. I'd be interested if any Li-ion
> battery users who have had their cameras at least a couple years give me
> feedback on how your battery life holds up?
>
> Thanks, F

I remember reading somewhere that after the FIRST charging cycle the battery
shouldn't be left uncharged for long time, or it quickly degrades. It makes
sense as they are manufactured in inhibited state (for long shelf life), and
after charging the chemical protection is destroyed. Also the new ones don't
reach full capacity until the 5-10 charging/discharging cycles. Overall, if
I were asked to point a single drawback of my Canon S50 - it would be using
LiPO's, it would be SO MUCH better using NiMH AA's (otherwise the camera is
a wonder).

http://www.quakemap.com

"EdO" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have had the Olympus LiPO grip/battery for the E10 for about two years
> and although I have not run that many charge cycles it seem to have as
> good a capacity now as new and holds the charge over a long period of

time.

> My understanding of the Lithium Ion Polymer batteries is that they work
> very well over their life but they do have a finite shelf life in an
> unused state. I do not know the maximum shelf life but that after two
> to three years the usable capacity is down by at least 30%. So the
> moral of this story is if you use LiPO be sure the battery is of recent
> manufacture when you put it into service to get the maximum life from it.
>
> EdO
>

> Fuzzfactor wrote:
> > Lithium ion batteries are known for their high power density, but they

do
> > degrade after many charge/discharge cycles. I'd be interested if any

Li-ion
> > battery users who have had their cameras at least a couple years give me
> > feedback on how your battery life holds up?
> >
> > Thanks, F

Wireless Connection Speed Degradation despite of Strong Signal Strength Netman Wireless Networking 5 10-29-2005 05:46 PM
Degradation Chakra ASP .Net 3 04-23-2005 01:30 AM
Performance degradation Boo R. Ghost ASP .Net 2 05-12-2004 06:05 AM
Multithreaded Throughput Degradation in Java/Oracle Application Robert Brown Java 5 07-31-2003 05:05 AM
Safe level of website degradation Paul F. Johnson HTML 3 06-24-2003 11:30 AM

Advertisments