Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > unable to ftp after loading IE7 betaII

unable to ftp after loading IE7 betaII

Marvel

I usually maintain my website using ftp but since loading Internet Explorer
beta 2 it will not ftp.

ironcorona

Marvel wrote:
> I usually maintain my website using ftp but since loading Internet Explorer
> beta 2 it will not ftp.

I haven't had this problem. I use FireFTP on firefox. Is it possible
there's another problem?

--
ironcorona

Disco Octopus

Marvel wrote:

> I usually maintain my website using ftp but since loading Internet Explorer
> beta 2 it will not ftp.

What FTP client do you use?

--
stretch after a workout

Jukka K. Korpela

Marvel wrote:

> I usually maintain my website using ftp but since loading Internet Explorer
> beta 2 it will not ftp.

It's a known problem that IE 7 beta preview has problems in FTP, and
they have been discussed on fora devoted to such issues.

You hopefully realize that "beta" means something that is essentially an
internal test version released for _testing_ by outside volunteers. You
can use it as a your normal browser if you like, but you shouldn't
expect normal behavior. And "preview" means that it isn't even a real
beta yet. So if there is anything that you _need_ to have done, use
another browser.

JDS

On Mon, 08 May 2006 01:11:13 +0000, Marvel wrote:

> Internet Explorer
> beta 2

Um, hello? BETA??? BETA is BETA for a reason

--
JDS | http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)lid
| http://www.newtnotes.com

cwdjrxyz

Marvel wrote:
> I usually maintain my website using ftp but since loading Internet Explorer
> beta 2 it will not ftp.

You need to know what FTP client you use and how it works. I have
CuteFTP 7 Professional. It apparently does not need a browser to
connect to the server on my host. I use the SBC/Yahoo DSL service which
has a browser by the same name which is just a modified IE browser. I
have several browsers. If you do not have any browsers turned on, if
you use a program that requires connection to the web through a
browser, it usually will prompt you to sign in to the default SBC/Yahoo
browser. For example this often happens when you click on a home page
link from some program screen. However CuteFTP 7 Professional does not
prompt you to open a browser when you use it. You can even block in and
out for all of the browsers using a firewall, and CuteFTP still works.
Of course if you block CuteFTP, it will not work. Apparently CuteFTP
does not need a browser as it apparently is self contained. I would be
very surprised if any browser I could put on my computer would have any
influence on my FTP agent. However, there might be more room for
problems if the OS is modified such as with the sp2 upgrade on XP. If
adding the IE7 browser also makes some changes in the OS of a computer,
then all bets are off and the IE7 should be considered as a combination
of browser and OS upgrade rather than just a browser. It woud be very
interesting to hear a report from someone who has the CuteFTP 7
Professional and has just taken the IE7 beta upgrade.

Marvel

"cwdjrxyz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...

> Marvel wrote:
>> I usually maintain my website using ftp but since loading Internet
>> Explorer
>> beta 2 it will not ftp.

> You need to know what FTP client you use and how it works. I have
> CuteFTP 7 Professional. It apparently does not need a browser to
> connect to the server on my host. I use the SBC/Yahoo DSL service which
> has a browser by the same name which is just a modified IE browser. I
> have several browsers. If you do not have any browsers turned on, if
> you use a program that requires connection to the web through a
> browser, it usually will prompt you to sign in to the default SBC/Yahoo
> browser. For example this often happens when you click on a home page
> link from some program screen. However CuteFTP 7 Professional does not
> prompt you to open a browser when you use it. You can even block in and
> out for all of the browsers using a firewall, and CuteFTP still works.
> Of course if you block CuteFTP, it will not work. Apparently CuteFTP
> does not need a browser as it apparently is self contained. I would be
> very surprised if any browser I could put on my computer would have any
> influence on my FTP agent. However, there might be more room for
> problems if the OS is modified such as with the sp2 upgrade on XP. If
> adding the IE7 browser also makes some changes in the OS of a computer,
> then all bets are off and the IE7 should be considered as a combination
> of browser and OS upgrade rather than just a browser. It woud be very
> interesting to hear a report from someone who has the CuteFTP 7
> Professional and has just taken the IE7 beta upgrade.

Uh Hello BETA what kind of idiot am I...The reason for using beta is to
test., when something that has always worked quits working that would be a
bad thing not, a what kind of a dumb ass are you for being surprised thing.
I use no FTP client usually I (in IE) ftp the website and overwrite the
files with my modified files.

cwdjrxyz

Marvel wrote:
> "cwdjrxyz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> >
> > Marvel wrote:
> >> I usually maintain my website using ftp but since loading Internet
> >> Explorer
> >> beta 2 it will not ftp.

> > You need to know what FTP client you use and how it works. I have
> > CuteFTP 7 Professional. It apparently does not need a browser to
> > connect to the server on my host.

> I use no FTP client usually I (in IE) ftp the website and overwrite the
> files with my modified files.

Since you are using IE for the ftp, this does indicate that the problem
most likely is in the new IE7 beta. I am relieved that you were not
using a ftp client that does not require connection through a browser,
as a problem in that case likely would be more complicated to correct.
Since ftp support likely is important to Microsoft in their new IE7,
they likely will find a way to correct the problem by the time the
stable version of IE7 rolls out. As others indicated, Microsoft likely
is aware of the problem since it has been discussed in some Microsoft
groups.

Marvel

"cwdjrxyz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...

> Marvel wrote:
>> "cwdjrxyz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...

>> > You need to know what FTP client you use and how it works. I have
>> > CuteFTP 7 Professional. It apparently does not need a browser to
>> > connect to the server on my host.

>> I use no FTP client usually I (in IE) ftp the website and overwrite the
>> files with my modified files.

> Since you are using IE for the ftp, this does indicate that the problem
> most likely is in the new IE7 beta. I am relieved that you were not
> using a ftp client that does not require connection through a browser,
> as a problem in that case likely would be more complicated to correct.
> Since ftp support likely is important to Microsoft in their new IE7,
> they likely will find a way to correct the problem by the time the
> stable version of IE7 rolls out. As others indicated, Microsoft likely
> is aware of the problem since it has been discussed in some Microsoft
> groups.

Problem resolved...I contacted the MS IE7 BetaII support and they couldn't
figure it out either turns out they are riddled with problems, (like e-mail
fails, multiple tabs splitting off rogue, unable to allow cookies, add ons
that won't add on)... so I scrapped it and went back to IE6 the final IE7
should be in August 06

bmakari bmakari is offline
Junior Member

FTP Authentication--The user is not prompted for credentials when visiting an authenticated FTP site in Internet Explorer 7. This is a known issue, and the workaround is to enter the credentials directly into the FTP URL; for example, ftp://username(E-Mail Removed)

From: http://msdn.microsoft.com/ie/releasenotes/default.aspx . There are many other known issues on this site. This is a rick you take when downloading Beta software.