Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Where to buy a MAHA charger

Where to buy a MAHA charger

Dave Cardarelli

Looking for site to buy a MHC401FS charger or MHC204F charger for AA NiMh
batteries.

What are the major differences between these and any preferences?

Dave C.

David Dyer-Bennet

"Dave Cardarelli" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> Looking for site to buy a MHC401FS charger or MHC204F charger for AA NiMh
> batteries.
>
> What are the major differences between these and any preferences?

<http://www.thomas-distributing.com/index.htm> is the place I've
bought them.

The 204f is a good medium charger with two charging circuits (for
pairs of batteries). It has a "reconditioning" feature which on
command will completely discharge and recharge the batteries.

The 401fs is a better medium or fast (switch-selectable) charger with
independent charging circuits for each of 4 batteries. It's the clear
choice for my uses; I bought it to replace a 204f that was working
fine. It doesn't have the recondition circuit, but claims not to need
it either, because it has a "negative pulse charging" algorithm.

Both come with a wall-wart and a car lighter plug, which is handy. I
bought the optional world-voltage charger, which handles anything from
110-240 volts at 50 or 60 Hz, needing only plug conversion adapters to
function anywhere.
--
David Dyer-Bennet, <(E-Mail Removed)>, <www.dd-b.net/dd-b/>
Dragaera/Steven Brust: <dragaera.info/>

Rick

"Dave Cardarelli" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)4.net...
> Looking for site to buy a MHC401FS charger or MHC204F charger for AA NiMh
> batteries.
>
> What are the major differences between these and any preferences?

During recharges, the C401FS monitors batteries individually (each
one is on a separate monitoring chanel) while the C204F monitors
them in pairs. Also the 204 is a 500mA charger (fully depleted
2000mAH batteries take about 4 hours to recharge) while the 401
is double that.

Personal preference, if time isn't an issue and you use your AA's
in pairs or fours then go for the C204F. It's easier on batteries.

Both can be ordered here:
http://www.thomas-distributing.com/maha_chargers.htm
I've dealt with Thomas Distributing before, they're a great outfit.

Rick

David Dyer-Bennet

"Rick" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> "Dave Cardarelli" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)4.net...
> > Looking for site to buy a MHC401FS charger or MHC204F charger for AA NiMh
> > batteries.
> >
> > What are the major differences between these and any preferences?

> During recharges, the C401FS monitors batteries individually (each
> one is on a separate monitoring chanel) while the C204F monitors
> them in pairs. Also the 204 is a 500mA charger (fully depleted
> 2000mAH batteries take about 4 hours to recharge) while the 401
> is double that.
>
> Personal preference, if time isn't an issue and you use your AA's
> in pairs or fours then go for the C204F. It's easier on batteries.

If you use the 401fs in slow mode, it should be as good or better than
the 204f, as I understand it. *And* you have the fast mode available
for emergencies.

> Both can be ordered here:
> http://www.thomas-distributing.com/maha_chargers.htm
> I've dealt with Thomas Distributing before, they're a great outfit.

Yep, that's where mine (I've got both) came from.
--
David Dyer-Bennet, <(E-Mail Removed)>, <www.dd-b.net/dd-b/>
Dragaera/Steven Brust: <dragaera.info/>

Phil

Here:

http://www.thomas-distributing.com/maha-mh-c204f.htm

Lots of good info there, too.

Phil

Dave Cardarelli wrote:

> Looking for site to buy a MHC401FS charger or MHC204F charger for AA NiMh
> batteries.
>
> What are the major differences between these and any preferences?
>
> Dave C.

zbzbzb

For those in the US there is a great deal at Costco for the "Panasonic BQ-390
Quick Charger." The recharger is about the size of a pack of cigarettes (easily
pocketable) and it comes with six AA 2100mAh Ni-MH and two 750 mAh Ni-MH AAA.
Costco is selling it for $20.

The charger can charge any combo of up to four AA at one time or up to two AAA
at a time. A mix of AA and AAA can also be done. Here is a link describing it.

http://www.starbatteries.com/pacotraabach.html

Michael Meissner

"Dave Cardarelli" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> Looking for site to buy a MHC401FS charger or MHC204F charger for AA NiMh
> batteries.
>
> What are the major differences between these and any preferences?

I myself use a Lightning Pack 4000N from http://www.ripvan100.com, but you can
get Maha's from http://www.thomas-distributing.com/. If memory serves, the 204
has a drain before recharge option (esp. for NiCds) which was dropped in the
401, but the 401 offers per cell charging and a choice between slow and fast
charging.

--
Michael Meissner
http://www.the-meissners.org

Phil

Yes, a very good deal. I've had good success with Panasonic NiMH
batteries, but I really do not know much about the tech aspects of that
charger.

I did recently buy that kit as a Christmas present..

Phil

"David Dyer-Bennet" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)-b.net...
> "Rick" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>
> > "Dave Cardarelli" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)4.net...
> > > Looking for site to buy a MHC401FS charger or MHC204F charger for AA NiMh
> > > batteries.
> > >
> > > What are the major differences between these and any preferences?

> > During recharges, the C401FS monitors batteries individually (each
> > one is on a separate monitoring chanel) while the C204F monitors
> > them in pairs. Also the 204 is a 500mA charger (fully depleted
> > 2000mAH batteries take about 4 hours to recharge) while the 401
> > is double that.
> >
> > Personal preference, if time isn't an issue and you use your AA's
> > in pairs or fours then go for the C204F. It's easier on batteries.

> If you use the 401fs in slow mode, it should be as good or better than
> the 204f, as I understand it. *And* you have the fast mode available
> for emergencies.

True, although the 204F is 500mA while the 401F is 300mA
on its slow cycle. 500mA is a good compromise between
speed and battery wear, but you're right that 300mA is even
better if time isn't an issue.

Rick

zbzbzb

>Yes, a very good deal. I've had good success with Panasonic NiMH
>batteries, but I really do not know much about the tech aspects of that
>charger.
>
>I did recently buy that kit as a Christmas present..
>
>Phil

For 4 AAs it takes just under 4 hours. Not the fastest but for the price
nothing came close that was as compact and had so many batteries included. I
wish though it included an extra two AAs instead of the two AAAs that I have no
use for. Anyone want to swap two Panasonic AAs for two AAAs?