Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Nikon 5700 Fisheye Question

Nikon 5700 Fisheye Question

Cooter

I am considering acquiring a Nikon FC-E9 Fisheye lens. Does anyone have
experience with this lens? I'd like to hear some opinions on it's
performance. Also, a couple of questions:

1. The specs show 183 degree coverage. I assume this is a circular image.
Correct?

2. If the above is true, is it possible to get a full-frame image by means
of the camera's zoom control or by any other means? I realize a full-frame
image will be less than 180 degrees.

Thanks,
Cooter

Ed Ruf

On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 15:05:24 GMT, in rec.photo.digital "Cooter"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I am considering acquiring a Nikon FC-E9 Fisheye lens. Does anyone have
>experience with this lens? I'd like to hear some opinions on it's
>performance. Also, a couple of questions:
>
>1. The specs show 183 degree coverage. I assume this is a circular image.
>Correct?

Yes when the 5700 is zoomed out almost all the way.

>2. If the above is true, is it possible to get a full-frame image by means
>of the camera's zoom control or by any other means? I realize a full-frame
>image will be less than 180 degrees.

Yes. You can use the full zoom range of the camera. Unlike other
Coolpixes the 5700 does not have the FC-1/FC-2 converter lenses
settings for the fisheye. However, that does not mean you can not use
the lens. The instructions recommend going to full wide, disabling the
flash and setting the focus to infinity. Without using infinity focus
I'm having problems getting the extreme edges of the image in focus
with the AF area set to either auto or manual. I did not have this
problem with the combination of my 990/FC-E8. I've only had it a few
days so far. This is one very large add-on, even a bit bigger than the
WC-E80.
http://members.cox.net/egruf
See images taken with my CP-990 and 5700 at
http://members.cox.net/egruf-digicam

Ed Ruf

On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 11:07:02 -0500, in rec.photo.digital Ed Ruf
<nospam*(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>the lens. The instructions recommend going to full wide, disabling the
>flash and setting the focus to infinity. Without using infinity focus
>I'm having problems getting the extreme edges of the image in focus
>with the AF area set to either auto or manual. I did not have this
>problem with the combination of my 990/FC-E8. I've only had it a few
>days so far.

I stand corrected, the "manual" states to use macro focus setting, NOT
infinity.