Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > A nice picture

A nice picture

Terje Mathisen

Mark Herring wrote:

> Here's a switch: A real picture--instead of some silly debate about
> Megapixels.
>
> http://www.pbase.com/image/23436469
>
> This is stitched from 8 separate shots using Max Lyons' "PTAssembler"
> front-end for Panotools. It was the ONLY software that would get the
> stitching right---I was leaning out of a hotel window and was lucky to
> get the shot at all---much less hold the camera level.

PTAsm+PT _is_ a very nice combination.

Great panorama!

Terje

--
- <(E-Mail Removed)>

Rich

mark - that's absolutely ace

www.digitalmood.co.uk

rich

"Mark Herring" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Here's a switch: A real picture--instead of some silly debate about
> Megapixels.
>
> http://www.pbase.com/image/23436469
>
> This is stitched from 8 separate shots using Max Lyons' "PTAssembler"
> front-end for Panotools. It was the ONLY software that would get the
> stitching right---I was leaning out of a hotel window and was lucky to
> get the shot at all---much less hold the camera level.
>
> Taken with a Canon A40 (2Mpixels) The full-resolution file prints
> nicely at 8" x 30"
>
> Thanks to the folks in this NG that put me on to PTAssembler:
>
> http://www.tawbaware.com/ptasmblr.htm
>
> -Mark
> **************************
> Mark Herring, Pasadena, Calif.
> Private e-mail: Just say no to "No".

Mark Herring

On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 07:23:15 GMT, "Harry Da Hat"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On 18-Nov-2003, Mark Herring <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Here's a switch: A real picture--instead of some silly debate about
>> Megapixels.

>> Taken with a Canon A40 (2Mpixels) The full-resolution file prints
>> nicely at 8" x 30"

>That's a really nice 8x30 pic for 2Mp! I kind of wonder where that plays
>into the resolution at all with some of these cameras. My Fuji, which is
>rated at 4 something interpolated, 2 somethng real, comes out with pictures
>similar to this. I wonder why people find it hard to believe it.
>
>Harry

8 Pictures stitched. The pano, before cropping, was 1830 x 6090. If
I had not upsampled during cropping, the cropped size would have been
around 1750 x N. Also, some scene detail was "created" around the
edges.

By private e-mail, I will send the original 8 pictures + notes on how
this was done.

-Mark
**************************
Mark Herring, Pasadena, Calif.
Private e-mail: Just say no to "No".

Bill M

On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 19:02:49 -0800, Mark Herring
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Here's a switch: A real picture--instead of some silly debate about
>Megapixels.
>
>http://www.pbase.com/image/23436469

Nice job and pic!

Juan R. Pollo

"Mark Herring" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Not sure I understand----Panotools does not care which way the camera
> is turned---everything is done with control points. I put the camera
> vertical to get more pixels. 8 shots was probably overkill---I was
> just firing away, making sure I had overlap.

I think Ethan explained it, and you unwittingly hit on it. If you had done
it horizontally, with 8 shots you probably would have gone a full 180
degrees Thanks for the post.

Juan

Jonathan Wilson

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Here's a switch: A real picture--instead of some silly debate about
>Megapixels.
>
>http://www.pbase.com/image/23436469

Well cool, I love it

--