Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Camera Buffer Memory Questions

Camera Buffer Memory Questions

Ken Zenachon

First is a technical question:
What type of RAM is used for digital camera buffers?

Now the logistic question:
Is the price of this RAM so much per meg that even the cheapest
cameras can't have enough memory for, say, a 10-shot buffer? Last I
checked, individual chips of Hyundai / Hynix / Samsung / Micron etc
DDR are very inexpensive in large quantities -- pennies per chip if I
recall. Now, granted, cameras don't use the large DDR chips that our
PC RAM modules use, but they must be of similar design , function and
cost, no?
I'm sure there are issues I haven't considered, which is why I've
brought this up. I'm just curious to know.

Any insights?

KZ

Joseph Meehan

Several factors to consider. Price, but also, size, speed (may depend
on price) and very important, power requirements. Memory can be energy
hogs.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math