Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Kodak Customer Service

Kodak Customer Service

John

Have any of you had problems with Kodak Customer Service ?

Please email http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) with info.

Check out http://www.geocities.com/kodakreallysucks

My next camera will be a canon !!

Mr. Transistor

What makes you think Canon will be any better?

David

I like how they try to sell you on the ofoto site. Your camera does not
work, how could you use the online photo site?

John

A co-worker has a canon and has no issues updating the firmware on it.

"Mr. Transistor" <someone@micro$oft.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> What makes you think Canon will be any better?

Steve

John wrote:
> Have any of you had problems with Kodak Customer Service ?
>
> Please email (E-Mail Removed) with info.
>
> Check out http://www.geocities.com/kodakreallysucks
>
> My next camera will be a canon !!

John:

You are seriously mistaking yourself if you think that Canon will have good
customer service. From my experience, they had the absolute worst service
that I have experienced in over 30 years of photography. Do not buy from
Canon!

Last January, I sent my A series into Canon U.S.A. for repair of a defective
CCD and defective viewfinder. To date, I have had to send the camera to
Canon FOUR TIMES and they have still FAILED to repair the camera. I final
wrote a letter to the President and CEO of Canon U.S.A. Mr. Kenya Uchiuda
and this is what happened:

My reply from a representative from Mr. Kinya Uuhiuda:

Dear Mr. Haymes:

Your recent letter to Mr. Kinya Uchiuda has been forwarded to my attention.
Please allow me to respond on his behalf.

<SNIP>

The problem has been isolated to using the camera with the ISO set to 50.
This causing the programming to select a slow shutter speed and in turn
creating camera shake. Only by using your settings with a tri-pod could you
eliminate the shake.

<SNIP>

<END OF CANON REPLY>

In my letter to Canon, I wrote:

Dear Mr. Uchiuda:

I am writing this letter to express my dissatisfaction with Canon U.S.A.
after waiting over 3 months and 2 failed repairs for Canon to resolve the
problem with my defective PowerShot A40 digital camera.

<SNIP>

When I attempted to shoot some test pictures, I immediately observed that
the viewfinder was blurry. Cleaning the lens with Kodak lens cleaner and
cleaning tissue did not help.

<SNIP>
<END OF MY LETTER TO CANON>

After over 30 years of experience in photography, I am certainly happy that
the best that the President and CEO of Canon, U.S.A. could do is have a
representative tell me that a low ISO setting caused the camera's program to
select a low shutter speed creating camera shake. Unless there is something
that I am missing after over 30 years of photography how does a slow shutter
speed result in a blurry viewfinder? It results in a blurry picture but NOT
a blurry viewfinder!

Either Canon U.S.A. is very incompetent or they are very dishonest!

I am glad that I did not bring my car to Canon with a "loose steering wheel"
as they might have replaced my windshield wipers.

If you want good customer service, then do NOT buy from Canon.

Good luck,

Steve

Charlie

Moreover at last check Kodak has not yet farmed out their tech support to
India!!
Gosh...I hate that crap!!! Many have !!

--

Charlie in Mississippi

> [...]

that
> the best that the President and CEO of Canon, U.S.A. could do is have a
> representative tell me that a low ISO setting caused the camera's program

> select a low shutter speed creating camera shake. Unless there is

something
> that I am missing after over 30 years of photography how does a slow

shutter
> speed result in a blurry viewfinder? It results in a blurry picture but

NOT
> a blurry viewfinder!
>
> Either Canon U.S.A. is very incompetent or they are very dishonest!
>
> I am glad that I did not bring my car to Canon with a "loose steering

wheel"
> as they might have replaced my windshield wipers.
>
> If you want good customer service, then do NOT buy from Canon.

Ron Baird

Hi John

I am really sorry to hear of your trouble with Kodak support. Maybe I can
help.

I have reviewed the web pages you shared and it looks like you have a DX3215
model, and that it failed during an update of the firmware. I guess what I
would need to know would be why were you doing the update? Did you have a
fresh power supply in place before attempting the update? I note that there
was only one phone call where you were told the state of service due to the
camera being over two years old. It did not include the reason for the
update.

If you like, John, I can have your camera reviewed to determine what
happened (a bench-check) and returned to you. I will report to you about
what is found. Please include your details and the answers to why you did
the update, and if there was a power issue during the update.

At the same time I am also sharing your experience with the email manager at
Kodak for her review and sharing with that team. So, your voice has been
heard, loud and clear.

I am glad to be of service, John, and am usually around here should you need
additional help. Please reply to my request using your email tool if you do
not want to post your personal information.

Best Regards, John, talk to you soon.

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company

"John" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:wzpub.6733$PJ6.4436@okepread05...
> Have any of you had problems with Kodak Customer Service ?
>
> Please email (E-Mail Removed) with info.
>
> Check out http://www.geocities.com/kodakreallysucks
>
> My next camera will be a canon !!

John

Ron,

Thank you for responding. I will get all the relevant info to you this
evening.

John

"Ron Baird" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bpdthf$ljl$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi John
>
> I am really sorry to hear of your trouble with Kodak support. Maybe I can
> help.
>
> I have reviewed the web pages you shared and it looks like you have a

DX3215
> model, and that it failed during an update of the firmware. I guess what

> would need to know would be why were you doing the update? Did you have a
> fresh power supply in place before attempting the update? I note that

there
> was only one phone call where you were told the state of service due to

the
> camera being over two years old. It did not include the reason for the
> update.
>
> If you like, John, I can have your camera reviewed to determine what
> happened (a bench-check) and returned to you. I will report to you about
> what is found. Please include your details and the answers to why you did
> the update, and if there was a power issue during the update.
>
> At the same time I am also sharing your experience with the email manager

at
> Kodak for her review and sharing with that team. So, your voice has been
> heard, loud and clear.
>
> I am glad to be of service, John, and am usually around here should you

need
> additional help. Please reply to my request using your email tool if you

do
> not want to post your personal information.
>
> Best Regards, John, talk to you soon.
>
> Ron Baird
> Eastman Kodak Company

> > Have any of you had problems with Kodak Customer Service ?
> >
> > Please email (E-Mail Removed) with info.
> >
> > Check out http://www.geocities.com/kodakreallysucks
> >
> > My next camera will be a canon !!

Troy

On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 14:07:22 GMT, "David" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I like how they try to sell you on the ofoto site. Your camera does not
> work, how could you use the online photo site?

Personally, I think including advertisement in customer support emails
is bad form. It makes it look like the person responding is just using a
form to resolve the issue instead of giving you personal attention. This
is especially true in this case, since the advertisement is for
something that he obviously can't use.

--
Troy

Thad Smith

Ron Baird wrote:

> I am really sorry to hear of your trouble with Kodak support. Maybe I can
> help.

As a disinterested party, here are the issues that I see arising from
the problem:

1. The flash update procedure may be subject to locking up the camera.
This is a design issue. A good design would allow for user recovery
from an interrupted or bad update.

2. There may be a known risk of lockup during update that wasn't
disclosed in the documentation, subjecting the user to a risk he wasn't
aware of. In this case, John said he wouldn't have attempted the update
if he were aware of the risk.

3. If there is a flaw or weakness in the update procedure which the
vendor recommends that the user perform, I think they have some
responsibility to fixing the problem caused by following the recommended
procedure, even if out of normal warranty.

I don't know how well these issues apply to this case, since I have only
read the complaint and not any analysis of the actual problem.

Thad