Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Canon EOS 10D

Canon EOS 10D

Ray Fischer

Gerry <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>I'm a really frustrated owner of what I thought was going to be a fantastic
>camera.
>
>I have been a professional photographer for over 30 years (now retired) I
>have even taught the subject in college.
>
>The only reason for mentioning all that is to show that I do have a little
>knowledge of the subject.
>
>But now for the very first time in my whole life I have been brought to my
>knees and reduced to a blubbering state by this absolutely rubbish camera
>and completely incompetent company.
>
>I am now on my 3rd camera. This one like the first 2 is incapable of taking
>a sharply focussed shot.

Hmmm. Three cameras from a well-establish camera company and all of
them don't work. What's the common factor?

>If I shoot say 100 pictures, perhaps 10 of them will be so crisp that they
>will seem to jump out of the screen and the rest will have to be deleted
>because they are so far out of focus.

What's that old saying about blaming your tools?

--
Ray Fischer

T Strong

> Gerry <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >If I shoot say 100 pictures, perhaps 10 of them will be so crisp that

they
> >will seem to jump out of the screen and the rest will have to be deleted
> >because they are so far out of focus.

"Ray Fischer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bpfbt7$hl1$(E-Mail Removed)

commenting
> What's that old saying about blaming your tools?
>
> --
> Ray Fischer
> (E-Mail Removed)

I think you are doing Gerry an injustice, he is suggesting that the 10D AF
is somewhat random and consequently is somewhat unreliable... it may get AF
perfect sometimes but that is not a controlled event.

My 10D is my fourth Canon EOS (starting from EOS 650), prior to EOS cameras
I had AE1 and A1.

My experience of 10D is very similar to Gerry's.

When I have shot with aperture set to give me reasonable DOF results appear
good to reasonable with some outstandingly sharp and a fair number
"acceptably sharp". However when I use wide open aperture this demonstrates
randomness of focussing achieved by my 10D.

I recently took approximately 400 photographs of a singer on stage, mostly
using 50mm 1.8 lens with settings mostly of ISO 800, shutter speed 1/160th
on shutter speed priority, with stage lighting varying typical aperture of
between f1.8 and f4.0. The singer was mostly stationary and I had good
line/angle of shooting. I varied which autofocus point I selected and used
"AI FOCUS AF".

Approximately 10% were incredibly sharp, 20% reasonably sharp, 20% maybe
acceptable (for web page viewing or small printing) and 50% were out of
focus "soup".

I have taken almost 6,000 photographs with my 10D and I have learned its
limitations, the reality for me is that I have to take a greater number
photographs simply to compensate for those that are out of focus, but sadly
some well composed photographs with good composition/expressions are spoiled
by the "out of focus problems" I experience. The only compensation is that
those extra shots are effectively "free".

dylan

Who's George ?, it ain't me !

"Randall Ainsworth" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:181120030651106102%(E-Mail Removed)...
> > In my view Canon have made a lemon, admittedly a well built lemon. Lets'
> > hope they can fix it but I expect that will be with another model.
> >
> > I'll probably be shot down in flames, in the usual Newsgroup fashion,

but I
> > know what a focussed image looks like and I just don't get them even

after
> > spending a considerable sum on this camera.

> Is that you George?

dylan

> Hmmm. Three cameras from a well-establish camera company and all of
> them don't work. What's the common factor?

One common factor is the camera design.

Randall Ainsworth

> Who's George ?, it ain't me !

Sounds like the rantings of George Preddy - Sigma lackey.

George Preddy

"Gerry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bpcr56$2sk$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Any suggestions would be gratefully received.
>
> Gerry

Gerry,

Many complain of focus problems with the 10D, but the camera takes soft
(nice word for blurry) images even when focused properly. My humble
suggestion is to ebay it and cut your losses, the best thing about the 10D
is the ebay asking price. After that...

The 10.3M sensor SD9/10 is heads, shoulders, and trousers above the 10D, and
heads and shoulders above the other 6M sensor DSLRs. Many will rant and
rave over that comment, but they are wrong as unfortunately you discovered
the hard way (so did I). The SD9/10 are also a lot less expensive.
Sigma's EX lenses are optically superb performers, and much better values
than Canon lenses as another huge financial bonus. If you want ultimate pro
performance, and it sounds like you do, this is the only choice in the
<$4500 price range.

Here are some of my (amateur/enthusiast) SD9 images in case you want to have
a look. Most are taken with Sigma's $89 24-70mm HF lens...
http://www.pbase.com/imageprocessing/sd9

These night shots were taken using the $330 24-70 EX using the old SD9
firmware, v2 came out yesterday and makes significant improvements all
around...
http://www.pbase.com/imageprocessing/themepark

George Preddy

"George Preddy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bpg2au$b0h$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Gerry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:bpcr56$2sk$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Any suggestions would be gratefully received.
> >
> > Gerry

> Gerry,
>
> Many complain of focus problems with the 10D, but the camera takes soft
> (nice word for blurry) images even when focused properly. My humble
> suggestion is to ebay it and cut your losses, the best thing about the 10D
> is the ebay asking price. After that...
>
> The 10.3M sensor SD9/10 is heads, shoulders, and trousers above the 10D,

and
> heads and shoulders above the other 6M sensor DSLRs. Many will rant and
> rave over that comment, but they are wrong as unfortunately you discovered
> the hard way (so did I). The SD9/10 are also a lot less expensive.
> Sigma's EX lenses are optically superb performers, and much better values
> than Canon lenses as another huge financial bonus. If you want ultimate

pro
> performance, and it sounds like you do, this is the only choice in the
> <$4500 price range.
>
> Here are some of my (amateur/enthusiast) SD9 images in case you want to

have
> a look. Most are taken with Sigma's $89 24-70mm HF lens...
> http://www.pbase.com/imageprocessing/sd9
>
> These night shots were taken using the $330 24-70 EX using the old SD9
> firmware, v2 came out yesterday and makes significant improvements all
> around...
> http://www.pbase.com/imageprocessing/themepark

BTW, I completely screwed up and took those wide open, I don't know what I
was thinking shooting in Program mode at night.

Hans Kruse

I agree based having a Sigma lens 15-30mm DG EX (699euro) are good lenses,
but no better than Canon (have 28-135mm USM IS, 525 euro). As I have posted
previously in this thread I don't think the AF issues are that real. I have
certainly not a complaint in this area, but one needs to pay attention to
what the camera focuses on with multiple AF points enabled.
With proper attention I do not come home with any out of focus pictures!
Your SD9 takes nice pictures, nothing wrong here, but saying the 10D is no
good can't really be taken serious.
--Hans

"George Preddy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bpg2au$b0h$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Gerry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:bpcr56$2sk$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Any suggestions would be gratefully received.
> >
> > Gerry

> Gerry,
>
> Many complain of focus problems with the 10D, but the camera takes soft
> (nice word for blurry) images even when focused properly. My humble
> suggestion is to ebay it and cut your losses, the best thing about the 10D
> is the ebay asking price. After that...
>
> The 10.3M sensor SD9/10 is heads, shoulders, and trousers above the 10D,

and
> heads and shoulders above the other 6M sensor DSLRs. Many will rant and
> rave over that comment, but they are wrong as unfortunately you discovered
> the hard way (so did I). The SD9/10 are also a lot less expensive.
> Sigma's EX lenses are optically superb performers, and much better values
> than Canon lenses as another huge financial bonus. If you want ultimate

pro
> performance, and it sounds like you do, this is the only choice in the
> <$4500 price range.
>
> Here are some of my (amateur/enthusiast) SD9 images in case you want to

have
> a look. Most are taken with Sigma's $89 24-70mm HF lens...
> http://www.pbase.com/imageprocessing/sd9
>
> These night shots were taken using the $330 24-70 EX using the old SD9
> firmware, v2 came out yesterday and makes significant improvements all
> around...
> http://www.pbase.com/imageprocessing/themepark

Randall Ainsworth

> Many complain of focus problems with the 10D, but the camera takes soft
> (nice word for blurry) images even when focused properly. My humble
> suggestion is to ebay it and cut your losses, the best thing about the 10D
> is the ebay asking price. After that...
>
> The 10.3M sensor SD9/10 is heads, shoulders, and trousers above the 10D, and
> heads and shoulders above the other 6M sensor DSLRs. Many will rant and
> rave over that comment, but they are wrong as unfortunately you discovered
> the hard way (so did I). The SD9/10 are also a lot less expensive.
> Sigma's EX lenses are optically superb performers, and much better values
> than Canon lenses as another huge financial bonus. If you want ultimate pro
> performance, and it sounds like you do, this is the only choice in the
> <$4500 price range.

You really need to switch medications.

Todd Walker

In article <191120031958150868%(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> > Many complain of focus problems with the 10D, but the camera takes soft
> > (nice word for blurry) images even when focused properly. My humble
> > suggestion is to ebay it and cut your losses, the best thing about the 10D
> > is the ebay asking price. After that...
> >
> > The 10.3M sensor SD9/10 is heads, shoulders, and trousers above the 10D, and
> > heads and shoulders above the other 6M sensor DSLRs. Many will rant and
> > rave over that comment, but they are wrong as unfortunately you discovered
> > the hard way (so did I). The SD9/10 are also a lot less expensive.
> > Sigma's EX lenses are optically superb performers, and much better values
> > than Canon lenses as another huge financial bonus. If you want ultimate pro
> > performance, and it sounds like you do, this is the only choice in the
> > <$4500 price range.

> You really need to switch medications.

I think George is a used car salesman in his day job. I can see it now:

"Hey, you don't want that junky BMW 535i. It's an overhyped piece of
junk! The best thing about it is its resale value! What you want is this
cherry Ford Crown Victoria. Look, it has an 8-cylinder engine -- that
crappy BMW only has 6! The Ford is 2 BETTER! Don't believe what those
crazy Germans want you to believe. Fords have ALWAYS been and always
WILL BE vastly superior to anything that BMW makes! And they are less
expensive too!!!"

--
Todd Walker