Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Seeking comments from US based users

Seeking comments from US based users

KS

Hi all.

I'm looking at buying a digital camera via the www / phone and having it
shipped here to New Zealand.

Does anyone have any experience / comments with:

B&H PhotoVideo in NY ? Some people at work have purchased similar gear, and
speak highly of them.

DigitalFotoClub.com ? Their prices seem extremely competitive (cheaper) so
I'm naturally more wary of them.

It's either the 7Hi or S7000 to be purchased, after much soul searching.

Obviously, there's a fairly large risk involved, living 5000 miles away from
the shop you purchased a product, And with the US$ -> NZ$ conversion, it
costs basically twice as much in NZ$ as in US$.

So a $700 purchase becomes a $1,100 purchase, plus shipping, customs, etc.
But it's still cheaper than buying locally ! Currently listed at NZ$2,000.

Any comments anyone about these online shops ?

Thanks.

Charlie Self

KS asks:

>Does anyone have any experience / comments with:
>
>B&H PhotoVideo in NY ? Some people at work have purchased similar gear, and
>speak highly of them.
>
>DigitalFotoClub.com ? Their prices seem extremely competitive (cheaper) so
>I'm naturally more wary of them.
>

>Any comments anyone about these online shops ?

B&H is excellent, and I've heard their overseas shipping is fine, too. No info
on DigitalFotoClub.

Have you checked out the warranty situation? Is the US warranty valid in NZ?

Charlie Self
"Telephone, n. An invention of the devil which abrogates some of the advantages
of making a disagreeable person keep his distance." Ambrose Bierce

KS

> Have you checked out the warranty situation? Is the US warranty valid
> in NZ?

I would be surprised if a US warranty would be valid here in NZ. However I
have seen some manufacturers warranties state "worldwide". But it's a bit of
a gamble I agree.

Thanks for info on B&H, it looks like I'll eventually go their way, unless I
win the lottery. Then I'll pop over to the Minolta factory (via Tahiti and
other exotic locations !) and hand pick one out.

> "Telephone, n. An invention of the devil which abrogates some of the
> advantages of making a disagreeable person keep his distance."
> Ambrose Bierce

Love that sig !

Charlie Self

KS responds:

>> Have you checked out the warranty situation? Is the US warranty valid
>> in NZ?

>I would be surprised if a US warranty would be valid here in NZ. However I
>have seen some manufacturers warranties state "worldwide". But it's a bit of
>a gamble I agree.

Check it out. My Dimage 7i had to go back to the factory for a recall very soon
after I bought it. Don't know what would happen if you were out of the country
in such a situation, but I'd guess the shipping would be rough.

>> "Telephone, n. An invention of the devil which abrogates some of the
>> advantages of making a disagreeable person keep his distance."
>> Ambrose Bierce

Bierce was one of the sharper-witted writers of the 1850s and onwards.
Disappeared (at the age of 71) while traveling with Pancho Villa during the
Mexican Revolution. His Devil's Dictionary is an excellent tome.

Charlie Self
"Telephone, n. An invention of the devil which abrogates some of the advantages
of making a disagreeable person keep his distance." Ambrose Bierce

KS

> Check it out. My Dimage 7i had to go back to the factory for a recall
> very soon after I bought it. Don't know what would happen if you were
> out of the country in such a situation, but I'd guess the shipping
> would be rough.

Yes, shipping can be a 'slightly' expensive option, way down under. Luckily
the company I work for has a good deal with FedEx that was agressively
negotiated (!) so the rates aren't too bad. It's just the time factor that's
annoying - 1 week either direction. Plus the fact that we are +18 hours in
time ahead of B&H for phone calls, etc.

The US$810 for the 7Hi with 256mb CFII retails here for NZ$2200 , which is a
lot of money in anyone's language.

On a slightly different note, how are you finding the 7i ? I'm tossing up
between the 7Hi and S7000, but so far the 7Hi seems to be out slightly out
on top - the use of CFII helps, as I already have a CFII reader drive unit.

Finally remember that only 10 people understand binary. Those that do, and
those that don't.

Tim Smith

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)otforme (Charlie Self) wrote:

>Bierce was one of the sharper-witted writers of the 1850s and onwards.
>Disappeared (at the age of 71) while traveling with Pancho Villa during the
>Mexican Revolution. His Devil's Dictionary is an excellent tome.

"TELESCOPE, n.
A device having a relation to the eye similar to that of the telephone
to the ear, enabling distant objects to plague us with a multitude of
needless details. Luckily it is unprovided with a bell summoning us to
the sacrifice."

But of course he was really predictively writing about VR (or IS, or
OS) lenses, now, wasn't he?