Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Manual for Canon 420EX Flash

Manual for Canon 420EX Flash

Carboranadum

I'm quite lucky today in that a friend gave me a basically new flash
that he had used for a few years on his EOS (now dead). I find that I
know basically nothing about the flash or how to use it (don't
laugh...this is my first non-manual flash. I'm connecting it to my
Canon 300D. Anyone know where I can find a copy of the owners manual
for the flash or other info on how to use it?

Thanks for the assistance.

CJ

Mark B.

"Carboranadum" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm quite lucky today in that a friend gave me a basically new flash
> that he had used for a few years on his EOS (now dead). I find that I
> know basically nothing about the flash or how to use it (don't
> laugh...this is my first non-manual flash. I'm connecting it to my
> Canon 300D. Anyone know where I can find a copy of the owners manual
> for the flash or other info on how to use it?
>
> Thanks for the assistance.
>
> CJ

The 420EX will work in auto mode on the 300D. There really isn't much else
to know. I don't know if the 300D supports high-speed sync, but if it does
that's what the switch on the upper right is for. Green dot for normal
operation, H for high speed sync (shutter speeds above 1/200). The small
black switch on the foot is for wireless - off when it's connected directly
to the hotshoe (or through an off-camera cable), 'Slave' for wireless
operation triggered by an ST-E2 or 550EX on the camera. The 2 buttons above
that tell it the Channel & Group it fires with. Set it to the same channel
as the master flash, not sure about the Group as I haven't done anything
with that yet. It's always on A for me.

Read the camera manual as well.

Mark