Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Canon 10D low light autofocus problems?

Canon 10D low light autofocus problems?

Bernd

Shoot!

That was a nightmare LOL... was around a low light environment (a sparely
lit stage) and my 10D was refusing to focus - both with a Sigma EX 17-35 and
Tamron XR DI 28-75 lens. Had my 420EX flash mounted, so the built-in flash
did not care to come out and assist (as it does on my EOS33). Is there
something I might have overlooked?

TIA
Bernd

dslr

Bernd wrote:

> Shoot!
>
> That was a nightmare LOL... was around a low light environment (a sparely
> lit stage) and my 10D was refusing to focus - both with a Sigma EX 17-35 and
> Tamron XR DI 28-75 lens. Had my 420EX flash mounted, so the built-in flash
> did not care to come out and assist (as it does on my EOS33). Is there
> something I might have overlooked?

Doesn't the 420EX do AF assist, then?

--
regards,
dslr

Mark C

At times, I have found it necessary to switch to manual focus in low light
situations even when I am using my canon 550 speed light.

mark c
nashville, tn

"dslr" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Bernd wrote:
> >
> > Shoot!
> >
> > That was a nightmare LOL... was around a low light environment (a

sparely
> > lit stage) and my 10D was refusing to focus - both with a Sigma EX 17-35

and
> > Tamron XR DI 28-75 lens. Had my 420EX flash mounted, so the built-in

flash
> > did not care to come out and assist (as it does on my EOS33). Is there
> > something I might have overlooked?

> Doesn't the 420EX do AF assist, then?
>
> --
> regards,
> dslr

marco van den broek

dslr <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef op Mon, 17 Nov 2003 19:43:37
+0000 (UTC):

> Bernd wrote:
>>
>> Shoot!
>>
>> That was a nightmare LOL... was around a low light environment (a
>> sparely
>> lit stage) and my 10D was refusing to focus - both with a Sigma EX
>> 17-35 and
>> Tamron XR DI 28-75 lens. Had my 420EX flash mounted, so the built-in
>> flash
>> did not care to come out and assist (as it does on my EOS33). Is there
>> something I might have overlooked?

> Doesn't the 420EX do AF assist, then?

if the 420EX didn't assist, check the custom settings (no 5)of de 10D. It
is possible to disable the focus assist

groeten,

Marco

Jim Townsend

Bernd wrote:

> Shoot!
>
> That was a nightmare LOL... was around a low light environment (a sparely
> lit stage) and my 10D was refusing to focus - both with a Sigma EX 17-35 and
> Tamron XR DI 28-75 lens. Had my 420EX flash mounted, so the built-in flash
> did not care to come out and assist (as it does on my EOS33). Is there
> something I might have overlooked?

I've got to ask about the focus lamp too..

I can focus on a featureless white wall in a poorly lit room from 30 feet
away.. (I actually tried this). The 420EX has a very bright red focus assist
light.

Can you see yours illuminating ?

Mark M

"Bernd" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bpb7hm$daq$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Shoot!
>
> That was a nightmare LOL... was around a low light environment (a sparely
> lit stage) and my 10D was refusing to focus - both with a Sigma EX 17-35

and
> Tamron XR DI 28-75 lens. Had my 420EX flash mounted, so the built-in flash
> did not care to come out and assist (as it does on my EOS33). Is there
> something I might have overlooked?

My 10D actually aoutperforms my EOS 3 film body when it comes to AF in low
light!
Now THAT's good.

Your 420 EX should be projecting a red pattern for your camera to focus
on...but you've got to have the thing turned on...
If you had the 550EX, you could tell it to ONLY use the focus assist with no
actual flash...

Obake

In article <bpb7hm$daq$(E-Mail Removed)>, "Bernd"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Shoot!
>
>That was a nightmare LOL... was around a low light environment (a sparely
>lit stage) and my 10D was refusing to focus - both with a Sigma EX 17-35 and
>Tamron XR DI 28-75 lens. Had my 420EX flash mounted, so the built-in flash
>did not care to come out and assist (as it does on my EOS33). Is there
>something I might have overlooked?

with the 550ex and 10D it is possible to turn off the focus assist lamp using
custom functions (CF5). and the focus lamp will not illuminate if in AI Servo
focus mode or while using the top or bottom focus points (in landscape, if in
portrait it will be the left and right focus points).