Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Kodak DX6340 vx. DX4530

Kodak DX6340 vx. DX4530

DRB

Hello,

For Christmas, I will be getting a digital camera. I've been looking for
awhile, and thought I'd settled on the 6340--3.1 MP, nice features, and at
the very top of my price range. I recently discovered the 4530, which is
only about 25 more dollars at my retailer of choice ($276 vs. $29. The
4530 is a 5MP and has 32 MB internal memory. However, it seems to have less
features--fewer modes and settings and less to no manual control-- and the
total zoom is less. The 6340 has 4x optical/3.5X digital. The 4530 has 3X
optical/3.3X digital. Also, the 6340 has a Schneider-Kreuznach Variogon
Lens and the 4530 has a Kodak Retinar All-Glass Lens. I know the 5 MP
camera will do prints up to 20x30, but I really don't have a need for photos
that large. The 6340 does up to 11X14, which is large as I could ever want.

I'm thinking that I'll probably still go with the 6340, but I thought I'd
run it past some people who are more knowledgeable in this area than I am.

Thanks

P.S. Please direct your replys towards the group instead of e-mail.

Ron Hunter

DRB wrote:

> Hello,
>
> For Christmas, I will be getting a digital camera. I've been looking for
> awhile, and thought I'd settled on the 6340--3.1 MP, nice features, and at
> the very top of my price range. I recently discovered the 4530, which is
> only about 25 more dollars at my retailer of choice ($276 vs. $29. The
> 4530 is a 5MP and has 32 MB internal memory. However, it seems to have less
> features--fewer modes and settings and less to no manual control-- and the
> total zoom is less. The 6340 has 4x optical/3.5X digital. The 4530 has 3X
> optical/3.3X digital. Also, the 6340 has a Schneider-Kreuznach Variogon
> Lens and the 4530 has a Kodak Retinar All-Glass Lens. I know the 5 MP
> camera will do prints up to 20x30, but I really don't have a need for photos
> that large. The 6340 does up to 11X14, which is large as I could ever want.
>
> I'm thinking that I'll probably still go with the 6340, but I thought I'd
> run it past some people who are more knowledgeable in this area than I am.
>
> Thanks
>
> P.S. Please direct your replys towards the group instead of e-mail.

It all depends on how you will use the camera. Either would serve my
needs well, but only you can decide if the extra 2 mp is of value to
you, or if the 6340's extra features will serve you better. Either
camera should give you excellent pictures for that price range. If you
do a lot of cropping during editing, then the extra pixels would be of
great advantage, otherwise, the extra optical zoom might give you a
picture that is better composed and not require editing.

Morgan Ohlson

"Ron Hunter" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelandet
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> DRB wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > For Christmas, I will be getting a digital camera. I've been looking

for
> > awhile, and thought I'd settled on the 6340--3.1 MP, nice features, and

at
> > the very top of my price range. I recently discovered the 4530, which

is
> > only about 25 more dollars at my retailer of choice ($276 vs. $29.

The
> > 4530 is a 5MP and has 32 MB internal memory. However, it seems to have

less
> > features--fewer modes and settings and less to no manual control-- and

the
> > total zoom is less. The 6340 has 4x optical/3.5X digital. The 4530 has

3X
> > optical/3.3X digital. Also, the 6340 has a Schneider-Kreuznach Variogon
> > Lens and the 4530 has a Kodak Retinar All-Glass Lens. I know the 5 MP
> > camera will do prints up to 20x30, but I really don't have a need for

photos
> > that large. The 6340 does up to 11X14, which is large as I could ever

want.

> > I'm thinking that I'll probably still go with the 6340, but I thought

I'd
> > run it past some people who are more knowledgeable in this area than I

am.

> > Thanks
> >
> > P.S. Please direct your replys towards the group instead of e-mail.
> >

> It all depends on how you will use the camera. Either would serve my
> needs well, but only you can decide if the extra 2 mp is of value to
> you, or if the 6340's extra features will serve you better. Either
> camera should give you excellent pictures for that price range. If you
> do a lot of cropping during editing, then the extra pixels would be of
> great advantage, otherwise, the extra optical zoom might give you a
> picture that is better composed and not require editing.

Yes, first of all... imagine how you will use tha camera IRL. Then go from
there.
There are lots of alternatives.

And, remember that even if the lense is made by the allmighty himself, you
will most probably get what you pay for (more or less). Optics is bound by
laws of physics. The brand it self, on a lense doesn't change anything.
Actually a known, special brand most likely is put there to attract
customers whithout any other technical value to it. If the lense says Leica,
Zeiss, Krautznach, etc it may give you a rush... but that doesn't improve
the pictures, does it!?

I'd say... The best optics/$ is most likely produced in Korea, and doesn't
have a known brand to it. They have the tech, the know-how and low pay.

Morgan O.