Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > CD-RW drive no longer recognised.

Reply
Thread Tools

CD-RW drive no longer recognised.

 
 
Phil
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-17-2003


Mike wrote:

> I believe the CD drive drawer should open with the button -as long as it has
> power.
> No drivers or O/S needed just to open the door.
>


Not the case, based on experience 8 hours ago.

Phil

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Abrasha
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-17-2003
Phil wrote:
>
> My recent experience along these lines:
>
> "Tonight my CD-RW/DVD drive disappeared in My Computer and Device
> Manager after a reboot.
>
> After beating on it for a couple of hours (I'm pretty good at this,
> usually), I gave up and called Averatec Tech Support (which is there 24/7).
>
> The support guy (Tom) said to:
>
> o Shut down the computer
> o Unplug the AC adapter
> o Remove the battery
> o Wait 5 minutes
>


My computer does not have an AC adapter. In general computers do not have an AC
adapter, the power cord plugs directly into the power supply. Only laptops
typically have AC adapters.

Remove the battery? There is sometimes a small battery somewhere on the
motherboard, which is only used to keep the computer clock setting accurate.
Most of the time, there isn't even a battery.

Are you talking about a laptop?

Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Abrasha
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-17-2003
Phil wrote:
>
> Did you get my private msg on my experiences with this problem last
> night, Abrasha? If not,I will resend it.
>


I did, but you seemed to be talking about a laptop computer, not a desktop.

Desktops don't have AC adapters, nor batteries.

Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com
 
Reply With Quote
 
Phil
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-17-2003


Abrasha wrote:
> Phil wrote:
>
>>My recent experience along these lines:
>>
>>"Tonight my CD-RW/DVD drive disappeared in My Computer and Device
>>Manager after a reboot.
>>
>>After beating on it for a couple of hours (I'm pretty good at this,
>>usually), I gave up and called Averatec Tech Support (which is there 24/7).
>>
>>The support guy (Tom) said to:
>>
>>o Shut down the computer
>>o Unplug the AC adapter
>>o Remove the battery
>>o Wait 5 minutes
>>

>
>
> My computer does not have an AC adapter. In general computers do not have an AC
> adapter, the power cord plugs directly into the power supply.


"In general"? Well, not really. I have four laptops and one desktop,
so most of mine are as I described. I had no way of knowing if yours
was a laptop or a desktop.

Only laptops
> typically have AC adapters.
>
> Remove the battery? There is sometimes a small battery somewhere on the
> motherboard, which is only used to keep the computer clock setting accurate.
> Most of the time, there isn't even a battery.
>


Almost all desktops do have a battery for RTC, etc. Clocks keep running
if they are unplugged

Since you have a desktop, advice is different.

1. Open it up and check all cables to CD-RW
2. Try it again
3. If it does not work, replace it (cheap and easy in desktop, NOT in a
laptop).

Phil

 
Reply With Quote
 
Abrasha
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-17-2003
Phil wrote:
>
> Abrasha wrote:
> > Phil wrote:
> >
> >>My recent experience along these lines:
> >>
> >>"Tonight my CD-RW/DVD drive disappeared in My Computer and Device
> >>Manager after a reboot.
> >>
> >>After beating on it for a couple of hours (I'm pretty good at this,
> >>usually), I gave up and called Averatec Tech Support (which is there 24/7).
> >>
> >>The support guy (Tom) said to:
> >>
> >>o Shut down the computer
> >>o Unplug the AC adapter
> >>o Remove the battery
> >>o Wait 5 minutes
> >>

> >
> >
> > My computer does not have an AC adapter. In general computers do not have an AC
> > adapter, the power cord plugs directly into the power supply.

>
> "In general"? Well, not really. I have four laptops and one desktop,
> so most of mine are as I described. I had no way of knowing if yours
> was a laptop or a desktop.
>
> Only laptops
> > typically have AC adapters.
> >
> > Remove the battery? There is sometimes a small battery somewhere on the
> > motherboard, which is only used to keep the computer clock setting accurate.
> > Most of the time, there isn't even a battery.
> >

>
> Almost all desktops do have a battery for RTC, etc. Clocks keep running
> if they are unplugged
>
> Since you have a desktop, advice is different.
>
> 1. Open it up and check all cables to CD-RW
> 2. Try it again
> 3. If it does not work, replace it (cheap and easy in desktop, NOT in a
> laptop).
>
> Phil



Phil,

I don't know if you noticed, but I posted last night that I fixed it.
--
Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com
 
Reply With Quote
 
Phil
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-17-2003


Abrasha wrote:

>
> Phil,
>
> I don't know if you noticed, but I posted last night that I fixed it.


No, I missed that. So many msgs in this forum!

I'm very glad to hear that

Phil

 
Reply With Quote
 
Abrasha
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-17-2003
Phil wrote:
>
> Abrasha wrote:
>
> >
> > Phil,
> >
> > I don't know if you noticed, but I posted last night that I fixed it.

>
> No, I missed that. So many msgs in this forum!
>


No kidding. One of the most popular on the Net. Should give Kodak something to
worry about.

Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com
 
Reply With Quote
 
Crownfield
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-17-2003
Abrasha wrote:
>
> Crownfield wrote:
> >
> > Abrasha wrote:
> > >
> > > Is it possible that Irfanview "killed" my CD-RW drive?

> >
> > roxios cd creator 5 killed drives when it was installed.
> > it did so by damaging the registry.
> >
> > roxio swore they knew noting.
> > a google search found that lots of other people
> > knew about the problem with cd creator 5.
> > the drive was no longer recognized.
> > try reinstalling your cd driver.
> >

>
> There is no such thing as a driver supplied by the cd manufacturer.


never argued that.


> That's what
> the support guy at TDK told me. They use a driver that is supplied by Windows
>
> Most, if not all CD-RW drives do the same thing.
>
> Abrasha
> http://www.abrasha.com

 
Reply With Quote
 
James Cassatt
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-17-2003
I had a similar problem. I did a google search and found a web site
on copying files to a CD ROM RW. Then there was the section called
"if your CD drive disappears". It seems like loading 3rd party
software can screw up the register file. He had a file called cdgone.
I downloaded it ran it and now everything seems to work ok. The one
difference was that the drawer would still open even though the
computer could not find the drive. Your experience suggests that the
CD drive is dead.

Phil <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<xx6ub.85753$(E-Mail Removed)>. ..
> Mike wrote:
>
> > I believe the CD drive drawer should open with the button -as long as it has
> > power.
> > No drivers or O/S needed just to open the door.
> >

>
> Not the case, based on experience 8 hours ago.
>
> Phil

 
Reply With Quote
 
HRosita
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-18-2003
Hi,

Because CD-R/W drives are so inexpensive, after a bad experience like you had I
would replace the drive. Somehow once a failure like this occurs, especially
with the open and close, I would no longer trust the hardware with my data.

Just a personal opinion.
Rosita


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DVD drive no longer reading Zu Arsschlaark! Computer Support 36 05-21-2009 07:25 PM
Help, DVD-ROM drive in wife's notebook computer no longer reads discs PRW Computer Support 2 10-14-2007 08:45 AM
making a new drive the boot drive in a 2 hard drive system hi2u Computer Support 3 07-30-2007 08:45 PM
how to check whether a drive is a network drive or drive from attached hard-disk shailesh Python 1 03-28-2007 12:57 PM
Programs taking longer and longer to start up. Help please. Goforit Computer Information 9 07-25-2004 06:34 AM



Advertisments