Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Beginner Quest.: Printing A High Resolution Pix To a 4x6 Inch Print ?

Reply
Thread Tools

Beginner Quest.: Printing A High Resolution Pix To a 4x6 Inch Print ?

 
 
Robert11
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-16-2003
Hello:

New at this.

Have taken several pix with my new digital camera at a "high resolution"
setting of 1024 x 768.

Pictures look just great on PC monitor.

But, when I take them to either of two photo printing centers in local
drugstores, they
both tell me they cannot print the whole picture (at a 4x6 inch size print)
that is on the memory card at
this resolution; that I have to select/crop a smaller area for them to
print.

Is this true ?
Why?

Is there some (possibly free?) photo editing program I can use to "keep" the
high resolution
quality (or for ones i take at even higher res.), but be able to completely
have the image printed
out in a 4x6 inch print ?

Thanks,
Bob


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
dslr
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-16-2003
Robert11 wrote:
>
> Hello:
>
> New at this.
>
> Have taken several pix with my new digital camera at a "high resolution"
> setting of 1024 x 768.
>
> Pictures look just great on PC monitor.
>
> But, when I take them to either of two photo printing centers in local
> drugstores, they
> both tell me they cannot print the whole picture (at a 4x6 inch size print)
> that is on the memory card at
> this resolution; that I have to select/crop a smaller area for them to
> print.
>
> Is this true ?


Yes

> Why?


Because the ratio of width to height is different. Your image has a
1.33:1 ratio, whilst the 4x6" paper has one of 1.5:1.
Something has to give somewhere, so your image requires cropping to a
1.5:1 width/height ratio. The only other alternative is for it to be
printed so that one dimension is fully on the paper and accept white
stripes at the edges where the other dimension doesn't reach the edges.
The printers might/should be able to do either for you if you like, but
their original statement is correct.

> Is there some (possibly free?) photo editing program I can use to "keep" the
> high resolution quality (or for ones i take at even higher res.), but be able to completely
> have the image printed out in a 4x6 inch print ?


Irfanview (http://www.irfanview.com) should do what you need - for this
and many other photo "tools" - at a price I'm sure you'll like.

--
regards,
dslr
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-17-2003

Or you could take your pics to somewhere that does "digital" print sizes ...
such as www.bonusprint.co.uk.

"dslr" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Robert11 wrote:
> >
> > Hello:
> >
> > New at this.
> >
> > Have taken several pix with my new digital camera at a "high resolution"
> > setting of 1024 x 768.
> >
> > Pictures look just great on PC monitor.
> >
> > But, when I take them to either of two photo printing centers in local
> > drugstores, they
> > both tell me they cannot print the whole picture (at a 4x6 inch size

print)
> > that is on the memory card at
> > this resolution; that I have to select/crop a smaller area for them to
> > print.
> >
> > Is this true ?

>
> Yes
>
> > Why?

>
> Because the ratio of width to height is different. Your image has a
> 1.33:1 ratio, whilst the 4x6" paper has one of 1.5:1.
> Something has to give somewhere, so your image requires cropping to a
> 1.5:1 width/height ratio. The only other alternative is for it to be
> printed so that one dimension is fully on the paper and accept white
> stripes at the edges where the other dimension doesn't reach the edges.
> The printers might/should be able to do either for you if you like, but
> their original statement is correct.
>
> > Is there some (possibly free?) photo editing program I can use to "keep"

the
> > high resolution quality (or for ones i take at even higher res.), but be

able to completely
> > have the image printed out in a 4x6 inch print ?

>
> Irfanview (http://www.irfanview.com) should do what you need - for this
> and many other photo "tools" - at a price I'm sure you'll like.
>
> --
> regards,
> dslr



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
19 inch vs 17 inch LCD akiwi NZ Computing 40 04-27-2005 12:38 AM
Newibie - What's the recommended resolution for printing 4x6 prints Charles Digital Photography 4 04-13-2004 03:16 PM
Looking for high-end 18- or 19-inch flat panels with high resolution. KL234 Digital Photography 6 02-26-2004 08:18 PM
Paper puzzle 4x6 really 4x6.5 DiggerDog Digital Photography 7 01-14-2004 09:20 PM
Film scanner for 2 1/4 inch by 2 1/4 inch James E Koehler Digital Photography 6 10-16-2003 01:32 PM



Advertisments