Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > help on camera choice

help on camera choice

paul

hi,
i am about to buy my first digital camera after years of SLR use.
I am after a camera with full manual control and enough resolution to allow
A3 enlargements, so i am considering the following, but all have some
downsides (if only it was a perfect world!). Top end of budget is 550

1) Canon S50 - this is looking like the favourite at the moment...
2) Canon A80 - Will 4MP be enough for A3 enlargements?
3) fuji s7000 - i liked this in the shop but then read all the reviews about
amount of noise in images!
4) sony dsc-v1 - mixed reviews, ?battery life, and memory stick expensive

Can anyone help me out on my choice. I appreciate i will get lots of
conflicting answers, but would value opinion of people using them day to
day. Also are there any others i should consider?

Thanks,

Paul