Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Argus drivers

Argus drivers

Peter Strauss

Hello again:
Well, I still am enjoying my Argus 3550, and it's taking nice photos.
However, I have discovered that the drivers I'm using to download the
pictures are apparently self-destructing. I load them in with the CD,
and I'm then able to bring up the appropriate drive letter and take
the photos from the directory Dcim with no problem.
The next time I plug the camera in to download, nothing shows up as
the storage directory until I reload the CD, and then restart the
computer.
I wonder if anyone else has had this happen, if there's some obvious
or subtle cure I'm missing, or can share any other insights with me.
(I'm using Win98SE, and don't have the hardware to go to XP, which I
understand would obviate the need for the drivers.)
It's also quite workable, I suppose, to go on reloading the drivers
each time...it's just a bit of a pain to do so, and if I can find a
workaround, it'd be nice.
Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions/thoughts...
Peter Strauss
Oakland CA

CSM1

"Peter Strauss" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello again:
> Well, I still am enjoying my Argus 3550, and it's taking nice photos.
> However, I have discovered that the drivers I'm using to download the
> pictures are apparently self-destructing. I load them in with the CD,
> and I'm then able to bring up the appropriate drive letter and take
> the photos from the directory Dcim with no problem.
> The next time I plug the camera in to download, nothing shows up as
> the storage directory until I reload the CD, and then restart the
> computer.
> I wonder if anyone else has had this happen, if there's some obvious
> or subtle cure I'm missing, or can share any other insights with me.
> (I'm using Win98SE, and don't have the hardware to go to XP, which I
> understand would obviate the need for the drivers.)
> It's also quite workable, I suppose, to go on reloading the drivers
> each time...it's just a bit of a pain to do so, and if I can find a
> workaround, it'd be nice.
> Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions/thoughts...
> Peter Strauss
> Oakland CA

Manual.
Instructions for installing the camera driver in Windows 98 starts on page
32 of this PDF. To save the file to your computer, Right Click, Save target
As.
http://www.arguscamera.com/Manuals/DC3550.pdf

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com

Peter Strauss

On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 15:22:58 GMT, "CSM1" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Manual.
>Instructions for installing the camera driver in Windows 98 starts on page
>32 of this PDF. To save the file to your computer, Right Click, Save target
>As.
>http://www.arguscamera.com/Manuals/DC3550.pdf

Thank you, Mr. McMillan. I have the manual.
I did of course try to follow those instructions. Especially
interesting was the part about "If you install these drivers and don't
have Windows 98, you will destory your machine."
In any event, the result was: nil.
"Add new hardware" produced a window asking which Kodak camera I had.
I don't. I have an Argus.
And when I went to the directory of the CD to try to install just the
drivers, and not the PhotoSuite 8.2, or whatever the number is
(because it's a next-to-useless program), I was not able to do so.
There's no executable file in that directory. That's why I reverted
to the drivers that I had from the 3505 (which stopped working, and
which I returned, and which they then proceeded to lose because they
were changing locations, and they then sent me the 3550 as a "try this
and don't feel so bad that it took over a month to discover that we
lost your camera."), which work fine, except they apparently vanish
after each use.
Crazy.
Thanks anyhow.
Peter

CSM1

"Peter Strauss" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 15:22:58 GMT, "CSM1" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> >Manual.
> >Instructions for installing the camera driver in Windows 98 starts on

page
> >32 of this PDF. To save the file to your computer, Right Click, Save

target
> >As.
> >http://www.arguscamera.com/Manuals/DC3550.pdf
> >

> Thank you, Mr. McMillan. I have the manual.
> I did of course try to follow those instructions. Especially
> interesting was the part about "If you install these drivers and don't
> have Windows 98, you will destory your machine."

See My comment on Web Page.

> In any event, the result was: nil.
> "Add new hardware" produced a window asking which Kodak camera I had.
> I don't. I have an Argus.

Ignore it! Click Have Disk.

> And when I went to the directory of the CD to try to install just the
> drivers, and not the PhotoSuite 8.2, or whatever the number is
> (because it's a next-to-useless program), I was not able to do so.
> There's no executable file in that directory. That's why I reverted
> to the drivers that I had from the 3505 (which stopped working, and
> which I returned, and which they then proceeded to lose because they
> were changing locations, and they then sent me the 3550 as a "try this
> and don't feel so bad that it took over a month to discover that we
> lost your camera."), which work fine, except they apparently vanish
> after each use.
> Crazy.
> Thanks anyhow.
> Peter

Please remove any USB drivers that have failed.

Maybe the following will help you. I have put on my web site a temporary
page of instructions for installing the USB driver from your CD by the
manual method. (You do have the original CD?)

I will not leave this page up for long.
http://www.carlmcmillan.com/Temp/

Windows 98 has a dumb Plug N Play, It often gets it wrong. I have never had
the Hardware Wizard actually work in the automatic mode.

Good luck!
--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com