Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Does software used to print enhance or degrade photo?

Does software used to print enhance or degrade photo?

Ray Hurst

I have read many magazines articles about printers, paper, & ink
affecting printout quality but have never even heard a suggestion about
the software affecting the outcome.

Anyone know of anyone testing and reporting results?

Thanks Ray

Canopus

"Ray Hurst" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:gWCtb.2714$(E-Mail Removed) nk.net...
> I have read many magazines articles about printers, paper, & ink
> affecting printout quality but have never even heard a suggestion about
> the software affecting the outcome.
>
> Anyone know of anyone testing and reporting results?
>
> Thanks Ray

What software are you talking about, the printer software or other
applications? A printer is driven by software specific for it so you can
only compare printers, paper and ink on the final print out quality as you
cannot use a different driver for the same printer. If you are talking
about software for enhancing pictures there has been many comparisons, but,
in the end if you are using good quality applications such as Photoshop and
Paint Shop Pro etc. then final quality is down to the expertise of the user.

Rob

Ray Hurst

Good question. I meant with ink, printer, & paper all being equal, will
camera software, Photoshop or paint Shop Pro produce the same
results? It would seem to me that software is a another variable that
isn't talked about.

Ray

Canopus wrote:
> "Ray Hurst" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:gWCtb.2714$(E-Mail Removed) nk.net...
>
>>I have read many magazines articles about printers, paper, & ink
>>affecting printout quality but have never even heard a suggestion about
>>the software affecting the outcome.
>>
>>Anyone know of anyone testing and reporting results?
>>
>>Thanks Ray
>>

> What software are you talking about, the printer software or other
> applications? A printer is driven by software specific for it so you can
> only compare printers, paper and ink on the final print out quality as you
> cannot use a different driver for the same printer. If you are talking
> about software for enhancing pictures there has been many comparisons, but,
> in the end if you are using good quality applications such as Photoshop and
> Paint Shop Pro etc. then final quality is down to the expertise of the user.
>
> Rob

Ron Hunter

Ray Hurst wrote:
> I have read many magazines articles about printers, paper, & ink
> affecting printout quality but have never even heard a suggestion about
> the software affecting the outcome.
>
> Anyone know of anyone testing and reporting results?
>
> Thanks Ray

No, but many, if not all, inexpensive printers use the computer to
handle much of the grunt work of preparing the picture for the printer.
Printer drivers have become substantial programs, often offering
processing options which would have been the printer's jobs some years
ago. This helps to make the printers more useful, and to keep the cost
down. It is also the reason some printers are better at producing a
good image than others, even if they use the same hardware. I am not
sure just how one would go about testing, and quantifying this type of
processing.

MikeWhy

"Ray Hurst" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:XiEtb.2020$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net...
> Good question. I meant with ink, printer, & paper all being equal, will
> camera software, Photoshop or paint Shop Pro produce the same
> results? It would seem to me that software is a another variable that
> isn't talked about.

There is a whole industry, it seems, built around writing about Photoshop.

The difference is similar to picking up a roll of prints from
Walmart/Costco/Fotomat, compared to working over your photos in the
darkroom. Photoshop isn't very well suited to just printing the dime store
variety stack-o-prints. OTOH, and without going into everything else it does
well, it's difficult to imagine a better tool for adjusting exposure or
correcting a color cast.

Print quality is a very touchy subject around here. Grown men who should
know better obsess endlessly and usually fruitlessly. Until the madness
overtakes you, and perhaps it already has, just use whatever tools fall at
hand. Cameras these days produce reasonably good pictures right out of the
box, so long as you don't mess with the settings too much. Printers likewise
print "standard" exposures quite reasonably. You needn't worry about special
papers or inks until you're well started down this slippery slope.

Joseph Meehan

Often there is more than one driver available for a given printer. Most
people are using the software provided by the manufacturer of the printer,
others are using the more generic Windows provided software. In both cases
there may be updated versions available.

It is my understanding that most of the Windows provided software was
provided by the printer manufacturer and may be almost the same, but may be
lacking some special features.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

"Canopus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bp7336$1lc7b7$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...

> "Ray Hurst" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:gWCtb.2714$(E-Mail Removed) nk.net...
> > I have read many magazines articles about printers, paper, & ink
> > affecting printout quality but have never even heard a suggestion about
> > the software affecting the outcome.
> >
> > Anyone know of anyone testing and reporting results?
> >
> > Thanks Ray
> >

> What software are you talking about, the printer software or other
> applications? A printer is driven by software specific for it so you can
> only compare printers, paper and ink on the final print out quality as you
> cannot use a different driver for the same printer. If you are talking
> about software for enhancing pictures there has been many comparisons,

but,
> in the end if you are using good quality applications such as Photoshop

and
> Paint Shop Pro etc. then final quality is down to the expertise of the

user.

> Rob

Ron Hunter

Joseph Meehan wrote:
> Often there is more than one driver available for a given printer. Most
> people are using the software provided by the manufacturer of the printer,
> others are using the more generic Windows provided software. In both cases
> there may be updated versions available.
>
> It is my understanding that most of the Windows provided software was
> provided by the printer manufacturer and may be almost the same, but may be
> lacking some special features.

True, and an extra bit of advice for the new user. ALWAYS visit the
manufacturer's website and check to see if there is a newer driver
available for your printer. This can avoid much misery.

Bart van der Wolf

"Ray Hurst" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:XiEtb.2020$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net...
> Good question. I meant with ink, printer, & paper all being equal, will
> camera software, Photoshop or paint Shop Pro produce the same
> results? It would seem to me that software is a another variable that
> isn't talked about.

It most definitively is.

Several companies specialize in RIPs or similar software that Raster Image
Processes the incoming data and directly provides the printer's input. They
can easily cost 4 figure numbers of $.

The most affordable version I know of is Qimage
(http://www.ddisoftware.com/qimage/). It only costs US$ 39.95, but don't let
the price fool you. It produces stunning output, but also offers many
features for economizing paper cost (you'll earn back the small investment
very quickly). Highly recommended, especially if your image file is low on
pixels for the intended image size. It uses, amongst others, a novel
'Vector' interpolation algorithm and communicates with the printer driver
which then gets optimized data fed from Qimage.

Bart

Canopus

"Ray Hurst" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:XiEtb.2020$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net...
> Good question. I meant with ink, printer, & paper all being equal, will
> camera software, Photoshop or paint Shop Pro produce the same
> results? It would seem to me that software is a another variable that
> isn't talked about.
>
> Ray

Well, gamma correction is gamma correction, adjusting red is adjusting red
etc. in both. You evaluate what has to be done, put in the numbers or
adjust the sliders until you are happy with the results. It is the eye and
experience of the user that counts. One button enhancement is another
thing. I find it hit and miss and different applications compute it
differently.

If you gave a picture that needed correction to someone who had equal
experience on both applications and he was to correct it on both
applications then print it with the same paper on the same printer I wonder
how many people could say what print was corrected by what application?

Rob