Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > 6MP consumer cameras

6MP consumer cameras

Alfred Molon

When will we switch from the current 5MP consumer compact cameras to 6MP
? There is surely a market for non-DSLR 6MP cameras, but except for the
Fuji 6MP camera or the 8MP Sony there is nothing with more than 5MP at
the moment.
--

Alfred Molon

Mark B.

news:(E-Mail Removed) news.com...
> When will we switch from the current 5MP consumer compact cameras to 6MP
> ? There is surely a market for non-DSLR 6MP cameras, but except for the
> Fuji 6MP camera or the 8MP Sony there is nothing with more than 5MP at
> the moment.
> --

There isn't much of a difference going from 5mp to 6mp, although the
manufacturers' Marketing departments want you to believe otherwise.

Mark

Paul

>There isn't much of a difference going from 5mp to 6mp, although the
>manufacturers' Marketing departments want you to believe otherwise.
>
>Mark

I agree, and funny. Unless it's the ones touting the 5mp cams!

Brownie

"Mark B." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Alfred Molon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) news.com...
> > When will we switch from the current 5MP consumer compact cameras to 6MP
> > ? There is surely a market for non-DSLR 6MP cameras, but except for the
> > Fuji 6MP camera or the 8MP Sony there is nothing with more than 5MP at
> > the moment.
> > --

> There isn't much of a difference going from 5mp to 6mp, although the
> manufacturers' Marketing departments want you to believe otherwise.

But aren't some of the 4 and 5 MP cameras squeezing as much as possible out
of CCD's that were designed for 3MP cameras?

VT

On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 09:31:35 GMT, Alfred Molon
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>When will we switch from the current 5MP consumer compact cameras to 6MP
>? There is surely a market for non-DSLR 6MP cameras, but except for the
>Fuji 6MP camera or the 8MP Sony there is nothing with more than 5MP at
>the moment.

While not disagreeing with you in any way -

the majority of the consumer market are happy with 6x4 prints and
"true photo" quality was reached at the 2Mp level @ 300ppi.

3Mp seems to give "good" or at least acceptable 10x8 @ 200ppi - which
is both the concensus here, and now in the popular publications like
"Popular Photography".

So 4 and 5Mp are considered "enthusiast" level for larger than 10x8
prints.

Also there might be the need for marketing "differentiation" between
the DSLR's 6Mp and the consumer p&s style cameras.

So the market might be slow to give more Mps in the typical consumer
p&s style digicams.

However once one manufacturer breaks the barrier - it may cause the
others to follow suit and we'd see the 6Mp and beyond... just like
35mm p&s seemed to get better and better, until digital surpassed it
in popularity.

I would love to see 7-8 Mp (10x8 at 300ppi) available at the compact
consumer p&s level - which would mean any photos I take with the
digicam I carry would produce print quality that matches the bulkier
more serious kit I may have left at home........
--
Vincent
remove CLOTHES for e-mail

http://UnknownVincent.cjb.net/

Jim Townsend

Alfred Molon wrote:

> When will we switch from the current 5MP consumer compact cameras to 6MP
> ? There is surely a market for non-DSLR 6MP cameras, but except for the
> Fuji 6MP camera or the 8MP Sony there is nothing with more than 5MP at
> the moment.

Sony is about to release the 828. 8Mp based on the 717

Jonathan Wilson

On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 17:15:13 -0000, "Brownie"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Mark B." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> "Alfred Molon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) news.com...
>> > When will we switch from the current 5MP consumer compact cameras to 6MP
>> > ? There is surely a market for non-DSLR 6MP cameras, but except for the
>> > Fuji 6MP camera or the 8MP Sony there is nothing with more than 5MP at
>> > the moment.
>> > --

>> There isn't much of a difference going from 5mp to 6mp, although the
>> manufacturers' Marketing departments want you to believe otherwise.

>But aren't some of the 4 and 5 MP cameras squeezing as much as possible out
>of CCD's that were designed for 3MP cameras?

Kind of, the reports on the G5 (5MP) seemed to suggest it was "worse"
that the G2/G3 on quality, especially on colour fringing as the
physical size of the sensor was the same, just more sensels packed in.

Unless someone comes up with a totaly new way of making the sensors,
or somehow curves the substrate then fringing will get worse the more
dense the sensors... However I'm sure that it must be possible to
process in the camera, or the transfer programs to eliminate fringing
automatically as apposed to having to use plugins in photoshop.

--
Jonathan Wilson.
www.somethingerotic.com

Double D

6 MP consumer camera: Canon EOS Digital Rebel (300D)
6 MP prosumer camera: Canon EOS 10D