Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Recommendation for an ultra-compact

Recommendation for an ultra-compact

kps

Hi,

I'm looking for an ultra compact camera (like the pentax optio s) that is
capable of taking high speed shots. By high-speed I mean using it for
mountain bike, ski or race actions shots. I don't care about all the other
crap (like movie clips) - I just want to be able to put it in my pocket and
not have it look like I'm pitching a tent while I'm out and about.
Robustness would be desirable since I tend to fall a lot but the small form
factor is more important.

Thanks!

solong

> I'm looking for an ultra compact camera (like the pentax optio s) that is
> capable of taking high speed shots. By high-speed I mean using it for
> mountain bike, ski or race actions shots. I don't care about all the other
> crap (like movie clips) - I just want to be able to put it in my pocket and
> not have it look like I'm pitching a tent while I'm out and about.

Any of the cheap cameras will fill your requirements. As you get into the
higher priced better quality cameras, you will start to lose some of what you
want.

> Robustness would be desirable since I tend to fall a lot but the small form
> factor is more important.

Just but any small camera then.

John Bean

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 22:20:56 GMT, kps wrote:

> I'm looking for an ultra compact camera (like the pentax optio s) that is
> capable of taking high speed shots. By high-speed I mean using it for
> mountain bike, ski or race actions shots. I don't care about all the other
> crap (like movie clips) - I just want to be able to put it in my pocket and
> not have it look like I'm pitching a tent while I'm out and about.

Sony U-30. They don't come much smaller. Only 2Mpix but produces sharp well
adjusted images. Program auto only. Almost instant startup (under a
second).

> Robustness would be desirable since I tend to fall a lot but the small form
> factor is more important.

Metal body, sliding lens cover. Takes knocks well.

--
John Bean

Great spirits often meet violent opposition
with mediocre minds (Albert Einstein)

Jim Townsend

kps wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm looking for an ultra compact camera (like the pentax optio s) that is
> capable of taking high speed shots. By high-speed I mean using it for
> mountain bike, ski or race actions shots. I don't care about all the other
> crap (like movie clips) - I just want to be able to put it in my pocket and
> not have it look like I'm pitching a tent while I'm out and about.
> Robustness would be desirable since I tend to fall a lot but the small form
> factor is more important.

Look at the Canon Digital Elph series..

They make a 4mp SD10 model now. 3.5 ounces 3.6" x 1.9" x 0.7"

I've got an early old 2mp Elph S100 that I bought new. I keep it *just*
because it's so small. I use it quite often when my 10D would be too bulky.

Don Wiss

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 22:40:24 +0000, John Bean <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 22:20:56 GMT, kps wrote:
>
>> I'm looking for an ultra compact camera (like the pentax optio s) that is
>> capable of taking high speed shots. By high-speed I mean using it for
>> mountain bike, ski or race actions shots. I don't care about all the other
>> crap (like movie clips) - I just want to be able to put it in my pocket and
>> not have it look like I'm pitching a tent while I'm out and about.

>Sony U-30. They don't come much smaller. Only 2Mpix but produces sharp well
>adjusted images. Program auto only. Almost instant startup (under a
>second).
>
>> Robustness would be desirable since I tend to fall a lot but the small form
>> factor is more important.

>Metal body, sliding lens cover. Takes knocks well.

But no zoom at all. Makes it pretty difficult to compose decent shots. I do
like the sliding lens cover. Handy for something that is going to simply be
tossed into a bag with other things.

Don <donwiss at panix.com>.

Catherine Jo Morgan

I agree about the canon elphs. I have an s110 and keep it in my pocket all
the time. If I were buying new, I'd get the s400 for sure. The s110 has
proved to be very sturdy. The focusing light helps too, when I'm in dim
light in the woods and want to take a picture. Not sure about fast sports.
It's possible that another tiny digital does better at super fast shots.

"Jim Townsend" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> kps wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm looking for an ultra compact camera (like the pentax optio s) that

is
> > capable of taking high speed shots. By high-speed I mean using it for
> > mountain bike, ski or race actions shots. I don't care about all the

other
> > crap (like movie clips) - I just want to be able to put it in my pocket

and
> > not have it look like I'm pitching a tent while I'm out and about.
> > Robustness would be desirable since I tend to fall a lot but the small

form
> > factor is more important.

> Look at the Canon Digital Elph series..
>
> They make a 4mp SD10 model now. 3.5 ounces 3.6" x 1.9" x 0.7"
>
> I've got an early old 2mp Elph S100 that I bought new. I keep it *just*
> because it's so small. I use it quite often when my 10D would be too

bulky.

Ed Kirstein

I bought a Minolta XT. I love the way it feels in your hands, but the
pictures taken indoors were terrible. With the small lens and small flash,
indoor shots are very grainy cause the camera has to boost the ISO way up to
get any coverage. Even then, you can't shoot across a small living room.
Useless indoors. Beware.

I returned it and got a real camera-Olympus C-750.
Good luck.
Ed

"kps" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns943291C93B2B0ksawayamaacdsystemsc@198.80.5 5.250...
> Hi,
>
> I'm looking for an ultra compact camera (like the pentax optio s) that is
> capable of taking high speed shots. By high-speed I mean using it for
> mountain bike, ski or race actions shots. I don't care about all the

other
> crap (like movie clips) - I just want to be able to put it in my pocket

and
> not have it look like I'm pitching a tent while I'm out and about.
> Robustness would be desirable since I tend to fall a lot but the small

form
> factor is more important.
>
> Thanks!

Morgan Ohlson

"kps" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelandet
news:Xns943291C93B2B0ksawayamaacdsystemsc@198.80.5 5.250...
> Hi,
>
> I'm looking for an ultra compact camera (like the pentax optio s) that is
> capable of taking high speed shots. By high-speed I mean using it for
> mountain bike, ski or race actions shots. I don't care about all the

other
> crap (like movie clips) - I just want to be able to put it in my pocket

and
> not have it look like I'm pitching a tent while I'm out and about.
> Robustness would be desirable since I tend to fall a lot but the small

form
> factor is more important.

Go http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare.asp =>

set your features
Ult.Compact, zoom tele+135mm?, shutter <500, pixels(?), weight <320
=>

[compare]

Check manually (no search option) if the digicam of your liking that came
up has
1. fast program mode (usually sports, portrait may also work)
2. good ISO range. 400 or above is nice for fast sports in dark weather
/forests.

Some suitable choises comes up.

Morgan O.