Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Gretag Macbeth Eye One Photo - what does it do?

Gretag Macbeth Eye One Photo - what does it do?

Flycaster

"nobody nowhere" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:TweEbJAr3Iu$(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <3fb86faa$(E-Mail Removed)>, Flycaster
> <(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>
> Can it calibrate the monitor as well? How would you do that? Does it
> come with a light measuring device? That in itself might perhaps
> justify the high price, since a new calibrated monitor (eg. Sony
> Artisan, about which nobody speaks any more, and I wonder why) would
> cost more.
>

> >Is their photospectrometer accurate? Very. Does their Photo package

make
> >good profiles? I'm happy, but I can't speak for others.

Here you go. http://www.i1color.com/products/i1_photo.asp

Also, you need to shop this package - the price varies by several hundred.

MikeWhy

"Flycaster" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:3fb86faa$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I'm entirely an amateur, and mildly deuteranomalous at that.

> Does that mean you tend to see things with a green cast, or what? (You

sent
> me to the dictionary with that one, but I'm still not sure how it would
> apply to eyesight)

More commonly known as red-green deficiency. Not enough to embarrass myself
when I dress, but still enough to leave a lingering anxiety while poking
around the color channel curves. It's not a total loss; I'm compensated by a
slightly finer sensitivity to tones. It occurs to me just now the obvious
thing to do is spend the profiler money on a B&W ink set. 12x16 "platinums"
sound just dandy. Except the wife wants vacation and holiday pictures,
which was the point of scrambling to tune the gear.

Flycaster

"MikeWhy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Bwhub.8238$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net...
> More commonly known as red-green deficiency. Not enough to embarrass

myself
> when I dress, but still enough to leave a lingering anxiety while poking
> around the color channel curves. It's not a total loss; I'm compensated by

> slightly finer sensitivity to tones. It occurs to me just now the obvious
> thing to do is spend the profiler money on a B&W ink set. 12x16

"platinums"
> sound just dandy. Except the wife wants vacation and holiday pictures,
> which was the point of scrambling to tune the gear.

Ah. I think your local camera club idea is still the right way to go.
That, and take the vacation!

MikeWhy

"Flycaster" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:3fb9ae21$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Ah. I think your local camera club idea is still the right way to go.
> That, and take the vacation!

http://www.geocities.com/chicameraclub/members.html
Camera club list for the Chicago area.

nobody nowhere

Thank you very much. I am not a great expert on the subject (the
understatement of the century ) however, should the monitor also have
certain features which would allow it to be calibrated with the help of
an Eye One? Would a particular brand of monitor be better than another
at calibrating with an Eye One? Any comments would be greatly
appreciated.

In article <3fb8fd74$(E-Mail Removed)>, Flycaster
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes

>> Can it calibrate the monitor as well?

>Here you go. http://www.i1color.com/products/i1_photo.asp
>
>Also, you need to shop this package - the price varies by several hundred.

>-----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =-----

nobody

Flycaster

"nobody nowhere" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:kcjJAWAfHku$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thank you very much. I am not a great expert on the subject (the
> understatement of the century ) however, should the monitor also have
> certain features which would allow it to be calibrated with the help of
> an Eye One? Would a particular brand of monitor be better than another
> at calibrating with an Eye One? Any comments would be greatly
> appreciated.

I'm personally partial to Mitsubishi and LaCie monitors, but I don't think
it makes *that* much difference. Regardless, if you want the ability to
calibrate accurately, and get more life out of your monitor, make sure to
get one that has separate color gun controls. And, unless you want to go to
the high end ($$$), you're better off sticking with a CRT, rather than a LCD
monitor for color and contrast matching. You can get a great 19" CRT
monitor with separate color gun controls for $225-350. I think MacWorld
runs monitor reviews regularly so you might want to take a look at their
web-site.

The Artisan is a beauty, but not worth the money unless you are a graphics
pro, or just have money to burn.

nobody nowhere

Thank you very much indeed. By separate colour gun controls do you mean
"colour adjust"?

In article <3fba6e76$(E-Mail Removed)>, Flycaster
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>if you want the ability to
>calibrate accurately, and get more life out of your monitor, make sure to
>get one that has separate color gun controls.

>-----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =-----

Nobody

Flycaster

"nobody nowhere" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:TJ0JTJAbZpu$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thank you very much indeed. By separate colour gun controls do you mean
> "colour adjust"?

It seems that every manufacturer uses different terminology. What you want
is a monitor that allows for *individual* adjustment of the three colors
(ie, R,G,and B), and that also allows for different color temperature
settings. Any LaCie will have this, as will most medium-upperend
Mitsubishis, Viewsonics, Illayamas, etc. Just make sure to ask.

Anthony Heads Macbeth Iggy35 DVD Video 0 03-15-2008 11:27 AM
Digital Photo Resolution & The Human Eye javawizard Digital Photography 22 07-24-2007 02:36 PM
The Eye of the photographer - The Eye of the Spectator arcturus1111gr@yahoo.gr Digital Photography 0 04-05-2005 07:31 AM
macbeth colors tri-strip Stanley Krute Digital Photography 0 12-16-2003 05:27 PM
GretagMacbeth Eye-One Display M i c C u l l e n Digital Photography 3 11-01-2003 06:24 PM

Advertisments