Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Gretag Macbeth Eye One Photo - what does it do?

Gretag Macbeth Eye One Photo - what does it do?

nobody nowhere

What does this funny shaped device do? Does it measure the print itself?
How does it fit into the ICC profiling exercise? Thanks in advance for
any comments.

Nobody

Flycaster

"nobody nowhere" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:3UZNiUA+U8s$(E-Mail Removed)...
> What does this funny shaped device do? Does it measure the print itself?
> How does it fit into the ICC profiling exercise? Thanks in advance for
> any comments.
>
> Nobody

Basically, it makes highly accurate printer and monitor profiles, as well as
measures spot colors: http://www.i1color.com/products/i1_photo.asp

nobody nowhere

Thanks.

>> What does this funny shaped device do? Does it measure the print itself?
>> How does it fit into the ICC profiling exercise? Thanks in advance for
>> any comments.
>>
>> Nobody

>Basically, it makes highly accurate printer and monitor profiles, as well as
>measures spot colors: http://www.i1color.com/products/i1_photo.asp

>-----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =-----

nobody

Bill Hilton

>> What does this funny shaped device do?

>From: "Flycaster" http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
>
>Basically, it makes highly accurate printer and monitor profiles

Is this what you use to make your printer profiles, or are you stuck with a
flatbed scanner for your poor man's spectrophotomer too? (like me)

Bill

Flycaster

"Bill Hilton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> What does this funny shaped device do?

> >From: "Flycaster" (E-Mail Removed)
> >
> >Basically, it makes highly accurate printer and monitor profiles

> Is this what you use to make your printer profiles, or are you stuck with

> flatbed scanner for your poor man's spectrophotomer too? (like me)

I do have Eye One Photo. Frankly, it's been one of the best investments I
ever made. My monitor profile is spot on and while the profiles for my 2200
aren't *perfect* (as you well know, however, none ever are), the screen
proof-final print match is about as "dead on" as it gets. On two of my
papers the resulting prints are *very* slightly cool, others on-the-money,
and in all cases the contrast and density are nailed. The original software
that came with it was buggy, but the latest up-date solved the problems, at
least on my system (they, like others, had confilcts with the latest ATI
Catalyst drivers.)

I'm a happy camper, but I've also read lots of posts in the Yahoo 2200 group
from folks who rave about their great results using some of the RIP packages
as well. That'd be worth looking into, epsecially for B&W, which is still
not up to snuff even using Eye One. I'm convinced you either have to go to
a custom inkset or bypass the Epson driver to get good B&W from one of these
units. To be sure, I've never bothered to download the Grey-Balancer, but
I've read it isn't all that good either; it just hasn't been an issue since
I have the 1280 set up for all B&W with a custom inkset.

Bill Hilton

>From: "Flycaster" (E-Mail Removed)

> I do have Eye One Photo. Frankly, it's been one of the best investments
> I ever made.

How long does it take to read all the patches on an IT8 target, say one of the
729 or 918 sample cards? Is the software smart enough to note you've missed a
patch or otherwise lost your place temporarily?

I was thinking of getting a mid-level spectrophotometer like this one but the
idea of hand-measuring many hundreds of sample points was not appealing and I
didn't want to spring for several thousand more bucks for one of the auto
readers like the X-Rite.

My Epson 4000 should arrive in January and if what they say about the profiles
for the pro level models is true I hopefully won't need to do my own profiling,
but just in case ...

Thanks for the info.

Bill

Flycaster

"Bill Hilton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >From: "Flycaster" (E-Mail Removed)

> > I do have Eye One Photo. Frankly, it's been one of the best investments
> > I ever made.

> How long does it take to read all the patches on an IT8 target, say one of

the
> 729 or 918 sample cards? Is the software smart enough to note you've

missed a
> patch or otherwise lost your place temporarily?

The software comes with 2 sets of target for RGB work. The largest (ie,
most color samples) fits on two 8.5x11 sheets, and has a total of 918
swatches. I'm pretty sure these are targets developed by Bill Atkinson, for
which Eye One has a license. The software and strip reading system (they
supply a holder for the photospectrometer) are pretty cool. You measure
each row (total of, IIRC, 37 rows) separately in a single pass, and it takes
about 15 minutes to measure and compute the profile. If you screw up and
read the wrong row, it beeps and tells you which one to re-read.

Once computed, the software will tell you which patches, if any, need to be
re-read. In the previous edition of the software, multiple patches would
read as "bad", but the profile would be fine. Apparently, they had set the
DeltaE values too tight, and they have supposedly fixed this and other
glitches in the up-date. I haven't re-profiled in a while, so I can't
attest to this.

> I was thinking of getting a mid-level spectrophotometer like this one but

the
> idea of hand-measuring many hundreds of sample points was not appealing

and I
> didn't want to spring for several thousand more bucks for one of the auto
> readers like the X-Rite.

This system was specifically recommended to me, both by an Adobe guru and by
the folks at Chromix. The only major differences bewteen this and the $3500
system are: 1), a dedicated paper reader unit with a more stable
photospectrometer holder, 2), CMYK device profiling, and, 3), profile
reading software that supposedly allows for tweaking. IOW, $50 worth of
plastic, and some software add-ins. Even though the profile tweaking really
appeals to me, I've been told by Chromix that this feature is problematic:
you end up chasing your tail since every tweak results in an off-setting and
unwanted change elsewhere - they recommend leaving the profile alone and
making slight PS adjustements, if at all necessary.

If you like, I'll e-mail you one of my 2200 profiles (in Epson, I have
Luster, Matte, Semi-Gloss, and VFA) and you can see what you think.

Bill Hilton

>> How long does it take to read all the patches on an IT8 target

>From: "Flycaster" (E-Mail Removed)

>The software comes with 2 sets of target for RGB work. The largest (ie,
>most color samples) fits on two 8.5x11 sheets, and has a total of 918
>swatches. ... You measure
>each row (total of, IIRC, 37 rows) separately in a single pass, and it takes
>about 15 minutes to measure and compute the profile.

Ah, that's not so bad. I wanted to avoid the ones that require you to measure
every single patch separately, which takes close to an hour or more, I was
told, and leads to a sore thumb from pushing the stupid button 918 times for
each paper .

>This system was specifically recommended to me, both by an Adobe guru and by
>the folks at Chromix.

Atkinson was high on the Eye One system for monitor calibration when I took his
fine-art printing class last year, he said he got better results than with the
ColorVision Spyder he'd been using, especially for LCD displays. Sounds like
they have their act together. The problem with the printer software I have is
I have to use a scanner to make the measurements and that just isn't accurate
enough.

>If you like, I'll e-mail you one of my 2200 profiles (in Epson, I have
>Luster, Matte, Semi-Gloss, and VFA) and you can see what you think.

That would be great ... actually, if you can mail me two I'd really appreciate
it --- Luster, which prints great on my current profile already but I could
compare them, and VFA, which looks really drab and weak with my current profile
(I get much better results with the Watercolor-RW but it's only available in
13x19" sheets).

If you only feel comfortable sending one (I understand) just send the VFA since
the one I have is unusable and I have a lot of expensive paper for it sitting
around. I can send you the George Lepp 2200 profiles if you wish to compare
but sounds like you don't need them.

Bill
(change .comedy to .com to email)

Flycaster

"Bill Hilton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
[snip]
> Atkinson was high on the Eye One system for monitor calibration when I

took his
> fine-art printing class last year, he said he got better results than with

the
> ColorVision Spyder he'd been using, especially for LCD displays. Sounds

like
> they have their act together. The problem with the printer software I

have is
> I have to use a scanner to make the measurements and that just isn't

accurate
> enough.

The Eye-One system takes a lot more spot color measurements than did
PhotoCal, thus the color ramps are more accurate. Furthermore, it doesn't
just take R, G, and then B ramps; rather, it measures those and color mixes
as well.

> That would be great ... actually, if you can mail me two I'd really

appreciate
> it --- Luster, which prints great on my current profile already but I

could
> compare them, and VFA, which looks really drab and weak with my current

profile
> (I get much better results with the Watercolor-RW but it's only available

in
> 13x19" sheets).
>
> If you only feel comfortable sending one (I understand) just send the VFA

since
> the one I have is unusable and I have a lot of expensive paper for it

sitting
> around. I can send you the George Lepp 2200 profiles if you wish to

compare
> but sounds like you don't need them.

It's no problem, but the files are big. I'll send 'em both as separate
e-mails, along with my notes.

Bill Hilton

>From: "Flycaster" (E-Mail Removed)

> I'll send ... both <profiles> as separate e-mails, along with
> my notes.

Got 'em ... I sent you an email but in case you don't get it, thanks, I
especially appreciate the VFA profile since the paper is about $1.60 a sheet
and the prints with my current profiles look like 17 centavos.

I dumped them into an ICC viewer to plot the gamuts and yours have a bit wider
gamut than the Lepp/Tim Grey profile or the original Epson ones, especially in
the yellows and greens. Will try to print tomorrow ... you're a good man!
Bill

Anthony Heads Macbeth Iggy35 DVD Video 0 03-15-2008 11:27 AM
Digital Photo Resolution & The Human Eye javawizard Digital Photography 22 07-24-2007 02:36 PM
The Eye of the photographer - The Eye of the Spectator arcturus1111gr@yahoo.gr Digital Photography 0 04-05-2005 07:31 AM
macbeth colors tri-strip Stanley Krute Digital Photography 0 12-16-2003 05:27 PM
GretagMacbeth Eye-One Display M i c C u l l e n Digital Photography 3 11-01-2003 06:24 PM

Advertisments