Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Longer hi-res video on Canon A70?

Longer hi-res video on Canon A70?

SW Monkey

First off, I love my A70. I bought it from bestbuy.com. I was somewhat
dissappointed at first, since it started to act up. The camera would
freeze up, and I would have to take the batteries out to reset it. I
brought it back to bestbuy, and they said the light sensor was bad, so
I got a new one. Hopefully this isnt a common problem, is it?? Other
than that, my pictures come out GREAT! I love the movie mode, but
thats my main question.

Anyone know if you can hack a Canon A70 so you can record movies
longer than 3 min, or 30 sec for high resolution? Sony cams dont limit
the time on movies, just how big your memory card is. Why would Canon
do this???

DHB

SW Monkey'
to the best of my understanding this can't be done
because the A70's microprocessor is too slow & there is not enough high
speed "in-camera RAM" to record more.

Yes Canon could have added more RAM & or a faster microprocessor but
that would have raised the price of the camera for "everybody" when so "few"
customers use it or at least use it often. Most camera manufactures figure
that if you need to use a digital "Still" camera for longer than that, you
probably are going to use a "Video" camera that will give you much better
results.

If I recall correctly Sony & other companies have some models that are
limited only by the size of the flash cards used. This however requires
fast processing, more internal RAM & a fast flash card that can keep up.
This is likely why Sony made this claim only for their new "MS Pro" flash
cards which are faster. This also helps them sell more of their new memory
cards as well!

Nice idea but I think it can't be done with the A70 IMHO.

Respectfully, DHB

news:(E-Mail Removed) om...