Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Remote Capture

Remote Capture

The Toad

I'm working on a customer software solution for a customer and need
some details on remote capabilities of digital cameras.

I need to know if it's possible to connect a camera to a pc and and
have access to the pics realtime. It does not matter if it's access
to the file after pics taken, or pic goes directly to pc in raw
format, or pic automatically saves to pc hard drive. Any of the above
will work.

Before you say it, yes I've tried Canon remote capture and yes I've
looked at the product from breezesystems.com (I think it's called
PSRemote).

Here's my problem with the above solutions: while connected to PC,
you cannot use any settings on camera, you have to use software from
PC (i.e. zoom, flash, and lcd viewfinder). I need to be able to hold
the camera, snap the pic, and have it download to pc. Is this
possible with another camera brand? After calling Canon, it appears
this is going to happen with ALL canon cameras connected via USB.

Thanks,
Adam

stan@temple.edu

The Toad <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I'm working on a customer software solution for a customer and need
> some details on remote capabilities of digital cameras.

> I need to know if it's possible to connect a camera to a pc and and
> have access to the pics realtime. It does not matter if it's access
> to the file after pics taken, or pic goes directly to pc in raw
> format, or pic automatically saves to pc hard drive. Any of the above
> will work.

Why not just get a webcam?

The Toad

> Why not just get a webcam?
A webcam does not work because it does not function like a camera
(i.e. hold it in hand, look through viewfinder, snap photo). That's
my problem with canon remote capture...you cannot control the camera
while connected via usb.

Adam

Judson McClendon

"The Toad" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> A webcam does not work because it does not function like a camera
> (i.e. hold it in hand, look through viewfinder, snap photo). That's
> my problem with canon remote capture...you cannot control the camera
> while connected via usb.

If you look for a webcam that can also be carried as a freestanding
digicam, they generally do what you are describing. Look at Creative
webcams, and there are other vendors.
--
Judson McClendon http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (remove zero)
Sun Valley Systems http://sunvaley.com