Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Crucial Compact Flash memory and CF card readers

Crucial Compact Flash memory and CF card readers

JC Dill

My 1 gig microdrive walked off on Monday. I'm going to replace
it with 2 (or more) compact flash cards. I'll need a new card reader
too. The microdrive had a pcmcia adapter (which was lost with the
drive, I lost both in the carrying case), but I see that Crucial is
only offering USB card readers:

<http://www.crucial.com/store/listbyattr.asp?attr=Flash%20Reader&cat=Flash>

Does anyone here have any experience good/bad with any of these
Crucial readers? Any experience with Crucial Compact Flash?
Supposedly they have a lifetime warranty on their CF memory, has
anyone here had any experience with Crucial's CF warranty?

I'd like to order tomorrow, they are offering free 2nd-day delivery so
I'll get the order on Friday or Saturday at the latest (depending on
if they ship the same day, or the next day).

Thanks!

HRosita

Hi,

Crucial is very dependable. While I have only purchased PC memory from them I
have never had any problems over the last 5 years.
Rosita

DHB

JC,
Ditto what Rosita said about Crucial PC memory unfortunately I have
never used their CF cards but most companies that offer a lifetime warrantee
are making a quality product.

As for myself I prefer Lexar cards because they too offer a lifetime
warrantee on their 12x & faster cards. Lexar also makes a very inexpensive
program called "Image Rescue" designed to work "only" with their CF cards
which does what the name implies & a much more. Since I got my whole family
into digital photography & am the ET in the family, they all have Lexar
flash memory cards & none of theirs or mine have ever failed. Did use
"Image Rescue" to recover all the pictures my niece took on a Lexar CF card
after she accidentally formatted it in camera.

Sorry if I sound like an commercial for Lexar but I am very pleased with
their products as are many family members & friends. If your interested in
Lexar I have found Amazon.com to generally have the best prices.
http://www.amazon.com/ will take you there & then type CF512-12-251 in their
search box & it will take you to Lexar's 512M 12x CF card now on sale for
$99.99 USD. Also they offer free "super saver shipping" on this item but
you must select that or they won't ship it free. Don't know how much
"Crucial's" CF cards are that your considering but I think you might have a
problem beating this price.

In all fairness, I also have a few Viking cards which I purchased before
settling exclusively on Lexar cards & I have never had any problems with
them either however they offer only a 5 year replacement warrantee. As for
USB readers, there are several new USB-2 reader/writers out there, many of
which also have slots for other flash card types. This may not seem like
something you need but its worth consideration since as more & more people
get digital cameras it might be nice to have a multi card reader so that you
can share pictures or DATA files with others regardless of "their" camera's
memory type.

Sorry about the length of this response but I hope you & others find it
useful.

Respectfully, DHB

"JC Dill" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> My 1 gig microdrive walked off on Monday. I'm going to replace
> it with 2 (or more) compact flash cards. I'll need a new card reader
> too. The microdrive had a pcmcia adapter (which was lost with the
> drive, I lost both in the carrying case), but I see that Crucial is
> only offering USB card readers:

<http://www.crucial.com/store/listbyattr.asp?attr=Flash%20Reader&cat=Flash>

> Does anyone here have any experience good/bad with any of these
> Crucial readers? Any experience with Crucial Compact Flash?
> Supposedly they have a lifetime warranty on their CF memory, has
> anyone here had any experience with Crucial's CF warranty?
>
> I'd like to order tomorrow, they are offering free 2nd-day delivery so
> I'll get the order on Friday or Saturday at the latest (depending on
> if they ship the same day, or the next day).
>
> Thanks!

James Hart

JC Dill wrote:
> My 1 gig microdrive walked off on Monday. I'm going to replace
> it with 2 (or more) compact flash cards. I'll need a new card reader
> too. The microdrive had a pcmcia adapter (which was lost with the
> drive, I lost both in the carrying case), but I see that Crucial is
> only offering USB card readers:

<http://www.crucial.com/store/listbyattr.asp?attr=Flash%20Reader&cat=Flash>

> Does anyone here have any experience good/bad with any of these
> Crucial readers? Any experience with Crucial Compact Flash?
> Supposedly they have a lifetime warranty on their CF memory, has
> anyone here had any experience with Crucial's CF warranty?

I've never understood the words 'lifetime warranty', surely that means when
the card dies so does the warranty.

--
James...
http://www.jameshart.co.uk/