Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Thumbnailing RAW images

Thumbnailing RAW images

John

Up to now, my pics have been taken at the highest JPG resolution my
cameras could take. I've started doing more things in manual mode
now, and am using the Canon RAW format to save the pictures to the
card now.
Camera is a Canon S50.

Up to this point, I've been using thumbplus for the majority of my
thumbnailing and organizing needs, and using photoshop for my editing.
I could just scan the directory I put my pictures into, fly through
them to see which ones to keep, which to delete, move them where I
want them kept, and simply right click and choose "edit" to pop them
into photoshop for editing.

Now that I've switched over to using CRW format files, thumbs plus
won't thumbnail them directly. I have to add the THM files for
thumbnails. I'd rather ditch the THM files and have something that
goes directly against the CRW files.

I can use the browser in Adobe Photoshop CS, which works, and has all
the EXIF data. Obviously not as nice for me as thumbsplus was though.
But the long time spent searching through thousands of the posts in
this forum and getting info taught me that some thumbnail programs
ditch the EXIF data when that program is used on the RAW file.

I really like Thumbs Plus' layout, since I'm familiar with it, having
used it pretty much exclusively for years for thumbnailing and
organizing my pictures. But one of the websites I followed a link
from said that when you do anything with the file, it, too, loses the
EXIF data.

What are the *good* ways that you guys who deal with RAW images handle
the organization and sorting and such as far as thumbnail type of
apps? Programs that won't lose any of the data and such?

Or did I misread it, and that data is lost altogether regardless of
program because other formats don't support the embedded info?

*NOT* a graphics guru here by any means (as if it wasn't already
obvious<G>) so I may be way off base.

My path of usage of a digital image is take the pics, put files on the
computer, browse them, delete unwanted ones, organize into appropriate
folder heirarchy the ones I want to keep, then browse through them one
at a time and do any photoshopping I need / want to do to the image.

Thanks for any info to this (overly) long post.

john

Todd Walker

says...
> Now that I've switched over to using CRW format files, thumbs plus
> won't thumbnail them directly.

There is a plugin for Thumbsplus that will allow it to do this. If you
can't find it on their site, send them an email and they will direct you
to it.

--
__________________________________
Todd Walker
http://www.toddwalker.net/canon10d
__________________________________

John

On Wed, 12 Nov 2003 21:06:42 GMT, Todd Walker <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)
>says...
>> Now that I've switched over to using CRW format files, thumbs plus
>> won't thumbnail them directly.
>>

>There is a plugin for Thumbsplus that will allow it to do this. If you
>can't find it on their site, send them an email and they will direct you
>to it.

Will it keep thumbsplus from losing any of the EXIF information as you
work with the images too?

Thanks for the head's up about the plugin.

Todd Walker

says...
> Will it keep thumbsplus from losing any of the EXIF information as you
> work with the images too?
>
> Thanks for the head's up about the plugin.

That depends on the application that you use to manipulate the images.
If it saves the EXIF, then you are in good shape. Thumbs+ won't destroy
EXIF itself.

--
Todd Walker