Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Canon quality control having problems

Canon quality control having problems

DHB

MJ,
no offence intended but as an electronic technician, if all you have
listed for problems are true, I have a few suggestions:

<1> Buy a Dell or other PC with the longest in-house warrantee you can
find so that if it dies at least it won't cost you more money.

<2> Get yourself a ET's anti-static grounded wrist strap & use it as
much as you can.

<3> Get a couple of humidifiers going & do everything else you can to
reduce static charges around you.

<4> If all else fails, send out your résumé to Consumer Reports & all
major companies that do their own "torture / consumer" testing & tell them
that if it works with you longer than 1 month, it should work for 10+ years
with a "normal" customer! <G>

Might just be your way to getting your home loaded lots of new tech.
toys for you to stress test!

What's a definition of success? Taking a disadvantage & turning it into
an advantage!

Best of luck, sounds lick you can use all you can get.

Respectfully, DHB

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 12 Nov 2003 21:33:16 -0800, Lisa Horton <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>

> >> I might hold a record here. I currently have 3 Canon products away for
> >> repair/replacement. A CP-100 printer which died after 6 weeks; a 10D
> >> having the focus looked at, along with the 550EX flash which is
> >> failing to illuminate the area correctly (or the 10D is failing to
> >> synchronise with it); and I've just returned my second i9100 printer
> >> which is printing a band on gloss paper, just like the first one, and
> >> nobody has a clue why.

> >You are clearly under a technology curse, and have my sympathy!
> >
> >Lisa

> Cursed? I'm more than cursed. This is only the photo/printing
> equipment I've listed.
>
> 4 Abit AT7 Max2 motherboards failed - 2 in service, 2 doa, this year.
> A memory stick dead
> AMD cpu dead
> A Radeon graphics card that refuses to work on my Aopen motherboard.
> 2 Geforce graphics cards which only work for a day on any of 3 boards.
> DVD player freezing half way or more through nearly every disc I play.
> Replacement for above returned due to jerky playback.
> Laserdisc player dying and I've still got a load of discs.
> Tivo remote returned for replacement under warranty. Lost in post.
> They were good enough to send me another anyway, then 2 weeks later a
> second one arrived - whoopeee!!!
> One of those digital safes - the combination was locked inside it.
> and on.......and on...........
>

> MJ

Andrew Mc

In article <f3qsb.24612$(E-Mail Removed) k.net>, Wingman
says...

>What's going on at Canon?
>
>I've purchased and returned five- yes five! Powershot S50 cameras in the
>last few weeks- from four different vendors and in different serial number
>ranges. Every one had something major wrong with it- all related to
>retracting the lens. Three had a bang/click. In one the motor would whir for
>a second before it started to retract. The fifth had a hitch/hesitation in
>it.
>
>Calls to Canon tech support were uneven- some saying yes, there's a problem
>there. But one clown said-- well, that's not too bad a problem. I replied
>that for a new allegedly precision piece of Japanese photo equipment that I
>just shelled out $500 of my hard earned money, it was terrible.
>
>They told me to mail the camera to them (at my expense of course) and they
>would fix it. I said you need to make them right before you ship them to
>retailers. The customer should not operate as your quality control
>department- not at those prices!
>
>Wingman

Says a lot about the competition when you buy 5 and you keep going back. Or
perhaps it says a lot about you. Did you even bother testing them before you
took them home? Surely the problem would have been apparent at that stage if it
were to be picked up by Canon QA. Or are you just shilling for the competition?

Jackof-the-Dust

"Andrew Mc" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <f3qsb.24612$(E-Mail Removed) k.net>,

Wingman
> says...
> >
> >What's going on at Canon?
> >
> >I've purchased and returned five- yes five! Powershot S50 cameras in the
> >last few weeks- from four different vendors and in different serial

number
> >ranges. Every one had something major wrong with it- all related to
> >retracting the lens. Three had a bang/click. In one the motor would whir

for
> >a second before it started to retract. The fifth had a hitch/hesitation

in
> >it.
> >
> >Calls to Canon tech support were uneven- some saying yes, there's a

problem
> >there. But one clown said-- well, that's not too bad a problem. I replied
> >that for a new allegedly precision piece of Japanese photo equipment that

> >just shelled out $500 of my hard earned money, it was terrible.
> >
> >They told me to mail the camera to them (at my expense of course) and

they
> >would fix it. I said you need to make them right before you ship them to
> >retailers. The customer should not operate as your quality control
> >department- not at those prices!
> >
> >Wingman
> >

> Says a lot about the competition when you buy 5 and you keep going back.

Or
> perhaps it says a lot about you. Did you even bother testing them before

you
> took them home? Surely the problem would have been apparent at that stage

if it
> were to be picked up by Canon QA. Or are you just shilling for the

competition?

I think it says a alot qabout him. He is certainly a difficult one to
please. I assume that the problem is very minor at most if at all.

Wingman

"Andrew Mc" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <f3qsb.24612$(E-Mail Removed) k.net>,

Wingman
> says...
> >
> >What's going on at Canon?
> >
> >I've purchased and returned five- yes five! Powershot S50 cameras in the
> >last few weeks- from four different vendors and in different serial

number
> >ranges. Every one had something major wrong with it- all related to
> >retracting the lens. Three had a bang/click. In one the motor would whir

for
> >a second before it started to retract. The fifth had a hitch/hesitation

in
> >it.
> >
> >Calls to Canon tech support were uneven- some saying yes, there's a

problem
> >there. But one clown said-- well, that's not too bad a problem. I replied
> >that for a new allegedly precision piece of Japanese photo equipment that

> >just shelled out $500 of my hard earned money, it was terrible.
> >
> >They told me to mail the camera to them (at my expense of course) and

they
> >would fix it. I said you need to make them right before you ship them to
> >retailers. The customer should not operate as your quality control
> >department- not at those prices!
> >
> >Wingman
> >

> Says a lot about the competition when you buy 5 and you keep going back.

Or
> perhaps it says a lot about you. Did you even bother testing them before

you
> took them home? Surely the problem would have been apparent at that stage

if it
> were to be picked up by Canon QA. Or are you just shilling for the

competition?

You're over-interpreting your data! The S50 has the features I want, it's
generally well regarded and favorably reviewed and Canon makes good cameras
(I own several and have never had a problem before!).

It's also a bit tough to test them before you take them home when you buy
online

Wingman

MJ@MJ.com

On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 02:43:32 GMT, "DHB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>MJ,
> no offence intended but as an electronic technician, if all you have
>listed for problems are true, I have a few suggestions:
>
> <1> Buy a Dell or other PC with the longest in-house warrantee you can
>find so that if it dies at least it won't cost you more money.
>
> <2> Get yourself a ET's anti-static grounded wrist strap & use it as
>much as you can.
>
> <3> Get a couple of humidifiers going & do everything else you can to
>reduce static charges around you.
>
> <4> If all else fails, send out your résumé to Consumer Reports & all
>major companies that do their own "torture / consumer" testing & tell them
>that if it works with you longer than 1 month, it should work for 10+ years
>with a "normal" customer! <G>
>
> Might just be your way to getting your home loaded lots of new tech.
>toys for you to stress test!
>
> What's a definition of success? Taking a disadvantage & turning it into
>an advantage!
>
> Best of luck, sounds lick you can use all you can get.
>
> Respectfully, DHB

I don't think it's a static problem, and I'm fairly careful to earth
myself before sticking my hands inside or building up a pc. If I don't
use my earthing strap then I'll at least touch the earthed casing
beforehand. All my pc and home theatre stuff goes through ups and
antisurge protectors. Over this past year or two I've become
accustomed to buying items with a view to having to return them, so
this is always foremost when choosing a supplier. I always try to
check goods as far as possible before setting off home with them, or
if purchased online, I examine the return policy and costs. A couple
of months ago I went in to my local car dealer to get a set of rear
brake pads. Before leaving I said I'll just open the box and check
them. There were only 3 (for the non-mechanically orientated, there
should be 4 - 2 for each wheel). I wasn't in the least bit surprised,
unlike the salesman.

MJ

TigerMoon

"Wingman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<f3qsb.24612$(E-Mail Removed) thlink.net>...
> What's going on at Canon?
>
> I've purchased and returned five- yes five! Powershot S50 cameras in the
> last few weeks- from four different vendors and in different serial number
> ranges. Every one had something major wrong with it- all related to
> retracting the lens. Three had a bang/click. In one the motor would whir for
> a second before it started to retract. The fifth had a hitch/hesitation in
> it.
>
> Calls to Canon tech support were uneven- some saying yes, there's a problem
> there. But one clown said-- well, that's not too bad a problem. I replied
> that for a new allegedly precision piece of Japanese photo equipment that I
> just shelled out $500 of my hard earned money, it was terrible.
>
> They told me to mail the camera to them (at my expense of course) and they
> would fix it. I said you need to make them right before you ship them to
> retailers. The customer should not operate as your quality control
> department- not at those prices!
>
> Wingman

I have both a Canon S50 and a 10D. Both work flawlessly. Sorry about
your situation. I'd be ****ed off, too, if it were me. Good luck.