Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Digital camera recommendation for gramma

Digital camera recommendation for gramma

Top Spin

I'd like to get my mom a digital camera for Christmas. She's 80. She
is fairly comfortable with technology. She has a laptop that she uses
to write letters and she loves to look at the digital photos we upload
to Ofoto. Nonetheless, the camera will need to be fairly simple to
use.

Here are the requirements we think will work:

* Simplicity -- probably pretty much point and shoot
* Small enough to carry in a purse
* Good viewing window for framing the photo
* Easy link to upload to her PC

Cost is not a major consideration.

All recommendations appreciated.

Thanks

--
Using an Olympus C-700 UZ
Running Win2K SR-1

Todd Walker

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> I'd like to get my mom a digital camera for Christmas. She's 80. She
> is fairly comfortable with technology. She has a laptop that she uses
> to write letters and she loves to look at the digital photos we upload
> to Ofoto. Nonetheless, the camera will need to be fairly simple to
> use.
>
> Here are the requirements we think will work:
>
> * Simplicity -- probably pretty much point and shoot
> * Small enough to carry in a purse
> * Good viewing window for framing the photo
> * Easy link to upload to her PC
>
> Cost is not a major consideration.
>
> All recommendations appreciated.
>
> Thanks
>
> --
> Using an Olympus C-700 UZ
> Running Win2K SR-1

Any of the Kodak models that use the Easy Share dock are probably going
to be best. They have very good picture quality and uploading to the
computer is literally set the camera on the dock and hit a button.

--
__________________________________
Todd Walker
http://www.toddwalker.net/canon10d
__________________________________

Top Spin

On Wed, 12 Nov 2003 05:34:57 GMT, Todd Walker <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Any of the Kodak models that use the Easy Share dock are probably going
>to be best. They have very good picture quality and uploading to the
>computer is literally set the camera on the dock and hit a button.

She can use a USB cable (or we can teach her how to use it).

What do you think of the Olympus 300 or 400?

--
Using an Olympus C-700 UZ
Running Win2K SR-1

Charlie Dilks

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Top Spin <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> She can use a USB cable (or we can teach her how to use it).
> What do you think of the Olympus 300 or 400?

Being an "Olympus person," I believe either would be good.
Actually, I believe that any clamshell design would be good.
--
Charlie Dilks
Newark, DE USA

Marvin Margoshes

"Top Spin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'd like to get my mom a digital camera for Christmas. She's 80. She
> is fairly comfortable with technology. She has a laptop that she uses
> to write letters and she loves to look at the digital photos we upload
> to Ofoto. Nonetheless, the camera will need to be fairly simple to
> use.
>
> Here are the requirements we think will work:
>
> * Simplicity -- probably pretty much point and shoot
> * Small enough to carry in a purse
> * Good viewing window for framing the photo
> * Easy link to upload to her PC
>
> Cost is not a major consideration.
>
> All recommendations appreciated.
>
> Thanks
>
> --
> Using an Olympus C-700 UZ
> Running Win2K SR-1

I suggest one of the Olympus D series cameras. There are smaller cameras
that would fit into a purse more easily, but older hands can have trouble
handling them.

The pictures can be downloaded with a USB cable or a card reader. If
grandma isn't taking a lot of pictures, long-life lithium batteries might
suit her better than NiMH batteries that need ot be recharged regularly,
even if the camera hasn't been used.

Top Spin

On Wed, 12 Nov 2003 13:22:17 -0500, "Marvin Margoshes"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I suggest one of the Olympus D series cameras. There are smaller cameras
>that would fit into a purse more easily, but older hands can have trouble
>handling them.
>
>The pictures can be downloaded with a USB cable or a card reader. If
>grandma isn't taking a lot of pictures, long-life lithium batteries might
>suit her better than NiMH batteries that need ot be recharged regularly,
>even if the camera hasn't been used.

The Olympus was also recommended by a friend. We went to the local
photo store and got talked into the Minolta G500.

What say ye?

--
Using an Olympus C-700 UZ
Running Win2K SR-1

Steven M. Scharf

"Top Spin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 12 Nov 2003 13:22:17 -0500, "Marvin Margoshes"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >I suggest one of the Olympus D series cameras. There are smaller cameras
> >that would fit into a purse more easily, but older hands can have trouble
> >handling them.
> >
> >The pictures can be downloaded with a USB cable or a card reader. If
> >grandma isn't taking a lot of pictures, long-life lithium batteries might
> >suit her better than NiMH batteries that need ot be recharged regularly,
> >even if the camera hasn't been used.

> The Olympus was also recommended by a friend. We went to the local
> photo store and got talked into the Minolta G500.

The G500 is the best option in an ultra-compact. It's actually the Konica
Revio 510z, which is highly rated in Europe and Asia, but due to Minolta's
reputation in the U.S., goes for a bargain price. I've seen it as low as
$315,
though most stores charge $400 for it. The only downside is the fact that
it uses SD rather than Compact Flash.

Personally, I would get a camera with a dock for her. Not only for the lack
of cabling to deal with, but because it recharges in the dock as well. The
Kodak DX 6440 would be good. But the G500 is better if she's comfortable
with the USB cable and the charger cable. I just think of all the calls I
get
now for technical support from my mother, and would want to get her
something very easy to use.

Steve
http://nordicgroup.us/digicam/
Digital Camera Short List

Top Spin

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 06:37:12 GMT, "Steven M. Scharf"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>The G500 is the best option in an ultra-compact. It's actually the Konica
>Revio 510z, which is highly rated in Europe and Asia, but due to Minolta's
>reputation in the U.S., goes for a bargain price. I've seen it as low as
>$315,
>though most stores charge $400 for it. The only downside is the fact that
>it uses SD rather than Compact Flash.

How is that a downside?

>Personally, I would get a camera with a dock for her. Not only for the lack
>of cabling to deal with, but because it recharges in the dock as well. The
>Kodak DX 6440 would be good. But the G500 is better if she's comfortable
>with the USB cable and the charger cable. I just think of all the calls I
>get
>now for technical support from my mother, and would want to get her
>something very easy to use.

I think she will be OK with the USB cable. We'll have a week over
Thanksgiving to train her and she has some techie grandkids close by
if there are any problems.

--
Using an Olympus C-700 UZ
Running Win2K SR-1

Ben Haas

Friends don't let friends buy HP JUNK !!!! I replaced my HP with a D
560 Olympus and it is a great little camera..
Top Spin <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>. ..
> I'd like to get my mom a digital camera for Christmas. She's 80. She
> is fairly comfortable with technology. She has a laptop that she uses
> to write letters and she loves to look at the digital photos we upload
> to Ofoto. Nonetheless, the camera will need to be fairly simple to
> use.
>
> Here are the requirements we think will work:
>
> * Simplicity -- probably pretty much point and shoot
> * Small enough to carry in a purse
> * Good viewing window for framing the photo
> * Easy link to upload to her PC
>
> Cost is not a major consideration.
>
> All recommendations appreciated.
>
> Thanks

Steven M. Scharf

"Top Spin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 06:37:12 GMT, "Steven M. Scharf"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >The G500 is the best option in an ultra-compact. It's actually the Konica
> >Revio 510z, which is highly rated in Europe and Asia, but due to

Minolta's
> >reputation in the U.S., goes for a bargain price. I've seen it as low as
> >$315,
> >though most stores charge $400 for it. The only downside is the fact that
> >it uses SD rather than Compact Flash.

> How is that a downside?

SD is more expensive, and doesn't come in as high a capacity as CF. But it's
a minor issue. A 256MB SD card is $70 at Costco, and that should be more
than enough.