Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Casio seen at Fry's

Casio seen at Fry's

Yip Yap

I saw the various Casio cameras at a special
display at the Sunnyvale Fry's today. These
little cameras are wonders of engineering. Does
anyone have opinions about the he pictures they can
take?

Fry's had the Canon 300D with lens for the special
price of $997, which is about $2 less than what
others are selling it for. For $2 more I would rather
buy it from Keeble and Schucat in Palo Alto. They
will let me try it hands-on with everything else they
sell, including pretty much every lens made by Canon.

Unfortunately, both of these prices don't account for
California sales tax, which makes things a lot more
expensive than buying over the Internet from a
reliable place like B&H Photo.

-- Yip

PhotoMan

"Yip Yap" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> I saw the various Casio cameras at a special
> display at the Sunnyvale Fry's today. These
> little cameras are wonders of engineering. Does
> anyone have opinions about the he pictures they can
> take?
>
> Fry's had the Canon 300D with lens for the special
> price of $997, which is about $2 less than what
> others are selling it for. For $2 more I would rather
> buy it from Keeble and Schucat in Palo Alto. They
> will let me try it hands-on with everything else they
> sell, including pretty much every lens made by Canon.
>
> Unfortunately, both of these prices don't account for
> California sales tax, which makes things a lot more
> expensive than buying over the Internet from a
> reliable place like B&H Photo.

I had to drive 250 miles to get mine, and it was the last boxed one they had
($997 at Comp USA for the kit). The guy behind me couldn't even get a
discount on the tethered display sample.

Mike Jacoubowsky

I would suggest that a reputable store like Keeble and Shucat (a *very* good
camera store on the San Francisco Peninsula... one of the few remaining) is
well worth the extra $50-60 (not the $85 sale tax because I assume there
will be some shipping involved) vs buying one from B&H Photo.

Keeble & Shucat will demonstrate the camera for you, allow you to play with
it in the store, and help you with any problems you might have down the
road. My guess is that, if it suddenly went dead after a couple of weeks,
they might even replace it for you instead of sending it off for repair.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
http://www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

"Yip Yap" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> I saw the various Casio cameras at a special
> display at the Sunnyvale Fry's today. These
> little cameras are wonders of engineering. Does
> anyone have opinions about the he pictures they can
> take?
>
> Fry's had the Canon 300D with lens for the special
> price of $997, which is about $2 less than what
> others are selling it for. For $2 more I would rather
> buy it from Keeble and Schucat in Palo Alto. They
> will let me try it hands-on with everything else they
> sell, including pretty much every lens made by Canon.
>
> Unfortunately, both of these prices don't account for
> California sales tax, which makes things a lot more
> expensive than buying over the Internet from a
> reliable place like B&H Photo.
>
> -- Yip

dsco

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Yip Yap) wrote:

>I saw the various Casio cameras at a special
>display at the Sunnyvale Fry's today. These
>little cameras are wonders of engineering. Does
>anyone have opinions about the he pictures they can
>take?

I have a Casio Exilim EX-M2, and I like it, it's small enough that I can
always carry it with me. It's fine for 4" prints which is almost all I
ever do, but I did make a couple of 8x10 from it that were good enough.
Plus, the little movies are a kick.