Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Help: Canon i950 prints look washed out

Help: Canon i950 prints look washed out

nobody@home.com

I got an i950 to replace my clog-happy Epson 780. The i950 is quiet,
fast, and produces pictures that are less grainy. Unfortunately,
they're a bit washed out, especially skin tones.

I've tried a bunch of settings (and eaten up several sheets of Photo
Paper Pro). Cranking in some ICM helps the skin tones, but shifts the
purples/magentas into the blue spectrum.

Any ideas?

Martin Francis

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I got an i950 to replace my clog-happy Epson 780. The i950 is quiet,
> fast, and produces pictures that are less grainy. Unfortunately,
> they're a bit washed out, especially skin tones.
>
> I've tried a bunch of settings (and eaten up several sheets of Photo
> Paper Pro). Cranking in some ICM helps the skin tones, but shifts the
> purples/magentas into the blue spectrum.
>
> Any ideas?

A Canon rep told me to simply use manual colour override in the driver
software to dial out a colour cast. As a one-time chemical darkroom user, I
can dig it...

--
Here lies the late Martin Francis
He couldn't tell you the technical merits of Leitz and Zeiss

Olin K. McDaniel

On Wed, 12 Nov 2003 00:16:53 GMT, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>I got an i950 to replace my clog-happy Epson 780. The i950 is quiet,
>fast, and produces pictures that are less grainy. Unfortunately,
>they're a bit washed out, especially skin tones.
>
>I've tried a bunch of settings (and eaten up several sheets of Photo
>Paper Pro). Cranking in some ICM helps the skin tones, but shifts the
>purples/magentas into the blue spectrum.
>
>Any ideas?

My experience with the i950 has been exceptionally satisfying. It may
be the paper that has made the difference. I found the local Sam's
Club is selling Ilford Galerie Smooth Gloss Paper, and it includes a
folder with recommended settings for its use with many different
printers. Their listed settings for the Canon i-Series has given me
excellent results. And very consistent as well.

Olin McDaniel
To reply by email, please remove "abcd" from Return address
"Ignorance is treatable, Stupidity is incurable. Sometimes
the difference is hardly distinguishable, however."

Winston

(E-Mail Removed) (Olin K. McDaniel) wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>.. .
> On Wed, 12 Nov 2003 00:16:53 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
> >I got an i950 to replace my clog-happy Epson 780. The i950 is quiet,
> >fast, and produces pictures that are less grainy. Unfortunately,
> >they're a bit washed out, especially skin tones.
> >
> >I've tried a bunch of settings (and eaten up several sheets of Photo
> >Paper Pro). Cranking in some ICM helps the skin tones, but shifts the
> >purples/magentas into the blue spectrum.
> >
> >Any ideas?

> My experience with the i950 has been exceptionally satisfying. It may
> be the paper that has made the difference. I found the local Sam's
> Club is selling Ilford Galerie Smooth Gloss Paper, and it includes a
> folder with recommended settings for its use with many different
> printers. Their listed settings for the Canon i-Series has given me
> excellent results. And very consistent as well.
>
> Olin McDaniel
> To reply by email, please remove "abcd" from Return address
> "Ignorance is treatable, Stupidity is incurable. Sometimes
> the difference is hardly distinguishable, however."

I've purchased the Sam's paper also and it is a very close 2nd to the
PPP paper at a quarter of the price.