Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > ICE in Film Scanners

Reply
Thread Tools

ICE in Film Scanners

 
 
Jim
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-11-2003
Based on responses in this newsgroup, am seriously considering purchasing a
Minolta Dimage Scan Dual III from Amazon.com (around $280, new).

As I understand it, ICE is a built-in in some scanners designed to
reduce/eliminate dust.

I'm about to tackle several thousand 35mm slides (yeah, I'll cull them
waaaay down) and am not sure if the above scanner contains ICE feature.

Does it? Can someone explain ICE and what it stands for?

Thanx

Jim from Hilton Head
--
Remove the obvious to reply.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Ed E.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-11-2003
That scanner does NOT have ICE built-in. Instead, it has Minolta's
super-lame dust removal software.

Something you should know about that scanner - dust is a BIG problem. The
optics are such that any dust is exaggerated. It's really that bad, and
their software doesn't do much to make it any better.

If you're really going to be ripping through thousands of images and don't
want to spend months retouching pictures, seriously consider a scanner with
ICE. It makes a world of difference. A used one with ICE can be picked up
for less than you're ready to spend on the SD3. Also consider using VueScan
(www.Hamrick.com) as an alternate to the included scanner software.




 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
HRosita
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-11-2003
Hi,

I don't think the
Rosita


 
Reply With Quote
 
Bowsér
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-11-2003
Ed E is right, get a scanner with the real thing; ICE. Spend a little extra
on a scanner with ICE, and you'll save countless hours of retouching. And
don't think you can totally clean each and every slide and neg, you can't.

"Jim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:BBD6A8DD.1ACAB%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Based on responses in this newsgroup, am seriously considering purchasing

a
> Minolta Dimage Scan Dual III from Amazon.com (around $280, new).
>
> As I understand it, ICE is a built-in in some scanners designed to
> reduce/eliminate dust.
>
> I'm about to tackle several thousand 35mm slides (yeah, I'll cull them
> waaaay down) and am not sure if the above scanner contains ICE feature.
>
> Does it? Can someone explain ICE and what it stands for?
>
> Thanx
>
> Jim from Hilton Head
> --
> Remove the obvious to reply.
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Tony Spadaro
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-11-2003
ICE is worth the money unless your slides are in pristine condition. I have
saved thousands of hours spotting out oldd slides by scanning with ICE. It
is a combination of hardware and software and cannot be added to a scanner
after manufacture, unlike most "dust and scratch" filters it is not a blur
and sharpen, but uses an actual IR channel to see through junk on the
surface, and software to interpolate missing information.
If you do you scanning while doing something else (like watching tv) you
can go through a fair number of slides a night. It took me about a year to
catch up on my backlog.

--
http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto
The Improved Links Pages are at
http://www.chapelhillnoir.com/links/mlinks00.html
A sample chapter from my novel "Haight-Ashbury" is at
http://www.chapelhillnoir.com/writ/hait/hatitl.html
"Jim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:BBD6A8DD.1ACAB%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Based on responses in this newsgroup, am seriously considering purchasing

a
> Minolta Dimage Scan Dual III from Amazon.com (around $280, new).
>
> As I understand it, ICE is a built-in in some scanners designed to
> reduce/eliminate dust.
>
> I'm about to tackle several thousand 35mm slides (yeah, I'll cull them
> waaaay down) and am not sure if the above scanner contains ICE feature.
>
> Does it? Can someone explain ICE and what it stands for?
>
> Thanx
>
> Jim from Hilton Head
> --
> Remove the obvious to reply.
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Trev
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-11-2003

"Tony Spadaro" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Hodsb.111586$(E-Mail Removed) .com...
> ICE is worth the money unless your slides are in pristine condition. I

have
> saved thousands of hours spotting out oldd slides by scanning with

ICE. It
> is a combination of hardware and software and cannot be added to a

scanner
> after manufacture, unlike most "dust and scratch" filters it is not a

blur
> and sharpen, but uses an actual IR channel to see through junk on the
> surface, and software to interpolate missing information.
> If you do you scanning while doing something else (like watching

tv) you
> can go through a fair number of slides a night. It took me about a

year to
> catch up on my backlog.


Ice Is a regesterd trade mark.

Minolta Has the same thing but with a diferant name as does Cannon


 
Reply With Quote
 
Rafe B.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-12-2003
On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 19:55:23 GMT, Jim <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Based on responses in this newsgroup, am seriously considering purchasing a
>Minolta Dimage Scan Dual III from Amazon.com (around $280, new).
>
>As I understand it, ICE is a built-in in some scanners designed to
>reduce/eliminate dust.
>
>I'm about to tackle several thousand 35mm slides (yeah, I'll cull them
>waaaay down) and am not sure if the above scanner contains ICE feature.
>
>Does it? Can someone explain ICE and what it stands for?



If it has ICE, the ad copy will say so for sure.

ICE is a technology developed by Applied Science
Fiction (yep, that's really their name) and licensed for
use in various scanners -- mostly film scanners, but
lately in some flatbeds also.

In any case, the license to use and implement ICE
costs some $$ so you can be sure that if a scanner
has it, it will say so.

ICE involves a separate IR (infrared) illumination
channel, and firmware that reads the slide or
negative through the CCD with the IR illumination.

That's about all I know other than: it works, and
it's as close to magic as anything I've seen in the
digital imaging game. It has saved me hundreds
of hours of spotting and scratch-removing in
Photoshop.

PS: Appartently Canon has developed a similar
technology in their film scanners that somehow
skirts the ICE licensing issue. As a result, Canon
calls their scheme "FARE" although I believe it
works by similar principles as ASF's ICE.



rafe b.
http://www.terrapinphoto.com
 
Reply With Quote
 
Tony Spadaro
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-12-2003
Canon uses a propriatory system that is very similar but I think Minolta is
using ICE. They were a couple years ago.

--
http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto
The Improved Links Pages are at
http://www.chapelhillnoir.com/links/mlinks00.html
A sample chapter from my novel "Haight-Ashbury" is at
http://www.chapelhillnoir.com/writ/hait/hatitl.html
"Trev" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> "Tony Spadaro" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:Hodsb.111586$(E-Mail Removed) .com...
> > ICE is worth the money unless your slides are in pristine condition. I

> have
> > saved thousands of hours spotting out oldd slides by scanning with

> ICE. It
> > is a combination of hardware and software and cannot be added to a

> scanner
> > after manufacture, unlike most "dust and scratch" filters it is not a

> blur
> > and sharpen, but uses an actual IR channel to see through junk on the
> > surface, and software to interpolate missing information.
> > If you do you scanning while doing something else (like watching

> tv) you
> > can go through a fair number of slides a night. It took me about a

> year to
> > catch up on my backlog.

>
> Ice Is a regesterd trade mark.
>
> Minolta Has the same thing but with a diferant name as does Cannon
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
RAD
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-12-2003
Want to finish this one Rosita, please?


HRosita wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I don't think the
> Rosita
>
>


 
Reply With Quote
 
Chris McBrien
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-12-2003
"Ed E." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> That scanner does NOT have ICE built-in. Instead, it has Minolta's
> super-lame dust removal software.
>
> Something you should know about that scanner - dust is a BIG problem. The
> optics are such that any dust is exaggerated. It's really that bad, and
> their software doesn't do much to make it any better.
>
> If you're really going to be ripping through thousands of images and don't
> want to spend months retouching pictures, seriously consider a scanner with
> ICE. It makes a world of difference. A used one with ICE can be picked up
> for less than you're ready to spend on the SD3. Also consider using VueScan
> (www.Hamrick.com) as an alternate to the included scanner software.


Just to say I second the use of Ed Hamrick's VueScan. It is
well worth the US$45 for the full version.

Chris.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New b/w photos: Helsinki International Ice Sculpture Competition (Art meets ice) Jii Digital Photography 0 02-07-2011 05:44 PM
World Ice Speed Record - Fastest Car on Ice 321 km/h dbarbie11@gmail.com Computer Support 7 01-29-2008 01:45 PM
"Digital ICE" without Digital ICE Lorenzo J. Lucchini Digital Photography 21 11-04-2004 04:07 PM
After having 8mm film reels digitally archived, film looks very grainy/ filled with static. Is this digital-looking noise normal? + more 8mm film questions Phil Edry Digital Photography 11 10-10-2004 11:57 PM



Advertisments