Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > More Epson printer Qs

More Epson printer Qs

Big D

The ongoing saga of my epson investigation continues! I had some prints
made at a local photo lab on a 9600, and they did come out really well but
I've been hearing things like "better than photo lab quality" associated
with these printers, and about how I'd need a loupe to see the dots...

I certainly don't need a loupe to see the dots on these prints. The shadow
areas are (as usual) the worst, but overall the graininess gives the image
a softer look than I'd like, not to mention that if people look at the
images close up they'll say things like "HUH?! You just printed this on an
inkjet and you're trying to sell them for HOW MUCH?!"

So.. I think I may see what those folks at inkjetart.com can produce, but
my question to you 7600/9600 owners is:

Did the photo lab use lousy quality settings, or do your prints have
speckles visible to the naked eye when viewed very close up? Can you make
a print on these printers that you can hold side-by-side to one produced
with a minilab and not be able to tell the difference between them?

Thanks!

Bill Hilton

>From: Big D http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

>I had some prints made at a local photo lab on a 9600 ...
>
>I certainly don't need a loupe to see the dots on these prints.
>
>Did the photo lab use lousy quality settings, or do your prints have
>speckles visible to the naked eye when viewed very close up?

I don't have this model but saw a side-by-side comparison of seven prints made
by a well-known printer where he printed the same image as dye transfer, Type
C, Type R, Ilfochrome, masked Ilfochrome (to control the contrast), LightJet
5000 and Epson 9600 prints. The 9600 print was pretty much as good as the
masked Ilfo and the LJ (the best ones).

This guy is a famous dye transfer printer but switched first to the LJ 5000 and
now to the Epson 9600, so for sure he feels he can get very high quality from
that model.

I also have 9600 and LJ test prints of the same image courtesy of West Coast
Imaging and to me the LJ looks very slightly better at very close range, but
the difference is extremely small.

My guess is the lab you used made the prints at 720x720 dpi instead of
1440x1440 dpi (the min rez that will give excellent results) or even 2880 x
1440 dpi (the max rez). They would do this to speed up the printing, since
it's a relatively slow printer. Ask the lab if that's the case.

On the Yahoo Epson9600 group a couple of users reported seeing the dot patterns
at 720 dpi, which is why I'm bringing this up.

Bill

Pete Rissler

"Big D" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns942F4D17560B7supagoatatverizonDne@130.81.6 4.196...
> The ongoing saga of my epson investigation continues! I had some prints
> made at a local photo lab on a 9600, and they did come out really well but
> I've been hearing things like "better than photo lab quality" associated
> with these printers, and about how I'd need a loupe to see the dots...
>
> I certainly don't need a loupe to see the dots on these prints. The

shadow
> areas are (as usual) the worst, but overall the graininess gives the image
> a softer look than I'd like, not to mention that if people look at the
> images close up they'll say things like "HUH?! You just printed this on

an
> inkjet and you're trying to sell them for HOW MUCH?!"
>
> So.. I think I may see what those folks at inkjetart.com can produce, but
> my question to you 7600/9600 owners is:
>
> Did the photo lab use lousy quality settings, or do your prints have
> speckles visible to the naked eye when viewed very close up? Can you make
> a print on these printers that you can hold side-by-side to one produced
> with a minilab and not be able to tell the difference between them?
>
> Thanks!

What size was the print? What was the source (digital camera file, scanned
film or print)? Size of the input file? All these will effect the output
print.

--
Pete Rissler
http://web1.greatbasin.net/~rissler/

Bob Hatch

"Pete Rissler" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:boo9hd$1h8dga$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...

> What size was the print? What was the source (digital camera file, scanned
> film or print)? Size of the input file? All these will effect the output
> print.

I'll wait until I see the answers to the above questions, both Bill Hilton's
and Pete's.

Additional question. Describe your post processing procedure.
--
"The Iraqi people are grateful to America and are
optimistic about their future -- which means they have

Big D

"Pete Rissler" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:boo9hd$1h8dga$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de:

> "Big D" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:Xns942F4D17560B7supagoatatverizonDne@130.81.6 4.196...
> What size was the print? What was the source (digital camera file,
> scanned film or print)? Size of the input file? All these will effect
> the output print.

I did two test prints, both at 8"x12". Source was digital (Nikon D1X)
resolution of images was 3008x1960.

I suspect they used 720x720. I'm going to give them a call and find out
for sure.

Bob Hatch

"Big D" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns942F97EAAD804supagoatatverizonDne@130.81.6 4.196...
> "Pete Rissler" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:boo9hd$1h8dga$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de:
>
> > "Big D" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:Xns942F4D17560B7supagoatatverizonDne@130.81.6 4.196...
> > What size was the print? What was the source (digital camera file,
> > scanned film or print)? Size of the input file? All these will effect
> > the output print.
> >

> I did two test prints, both at 8"x12". Source was digital (Nikon D1X)
> resolution of images was 3008x1960.
>
> I suspect they used 720x720. I'm going to give them a call and find out
> for sure.

Next question. What was the resolution of the image when you sent it to the
printer. 72ppi, 180ppi or ????? An image of that size should have produced a
print with zero visible dot pattern. If the image were resized and resample
to a 16x20 at 250 dpi there should be zero visible dot pattern, if the print
is done at 1440 dpi.
--
"The Iraqi people are grateful to America and are
optimistic about their future -- which means they have
nothing in common with the Democratic party." --J.D. Hayworth
http://www.bobhatch.com

Big D

"Bob Hatch" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:boote6$1g7ud0$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de:

> Next question. What was the resolution of the image when you sent it
> to the printer. 72ppi, 180ppi or ????? An image of that size should
> have produced a print with zero visible dot pattern. If the image were
> resized and resample to a 16x20 at 250 dpi there should be zero
> visible dot pattern, if the print is done at 1440 dpi.

I gave the images to them in tiff format on a CD, saved at 300 ppi. The
guy on the phone claimed they they did it at "1440 or whatever the highest
resolution is" but frankly I don't believe him. I think they weren't happy
to use the 9600 for such small prints, so they just did it as cheaply and
quickly as they could...

Bob Hatch

"Big D" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns942FA27858340supagoatatverizonDne@130.81.6 4.196...
> "Bob Hatch" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:boote6$1g7ud0$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de:
>
> > Next question. What was the resolution of the image when you sent it
> > to the printer. 72ppi, 180ppi or ????? An image of that size should
> > have produced a print with zero visible dot pattern. If the image were
> > resized and resample to a 16x20 at 250 dpi there should be zero
> > visible dot pattern, if the print is done at 1440 dpi.

> I gave the images to them in tiff format on a CD, saved at 300 ppi. The
> guy on the phone claimed they they did it at "1440 or whatever the highest
> resolution is" but frankly I don't believe him. I think they weren't

happy
> to use the 9600 for such small prints, so they just did it as cheaply and
> quickly as they could...

Where do you live?

Is your respond to email address valid?

--
"The Iraqi people are grateful to America and are
optimistic about their future -- which means they have
nothing in common with the Democratic party." --J.D. Hayworth
http://www.bobhatch.com

Bob Hatch

"Bob Hatch" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:boov16$1gio5j$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> "Big D" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> Where do you live?
>
> Is your respond to email address valid?

I would guess that your email address is not valid.

Could you send me a valid address to bobhatch@ *the domain listed
below(bobhatch.com)*
--
"The Iraqi people are grateful to America and are
optimistic about their future -- which means they have
nothing in common with the Democratic party." --J.D. Hayworth
http://www.bobhatch.com

Bill Hilton

>From: Big D (E-Mail Removed)

> The guy on the phone claimed they they did it at "1440
> or whatever the highest resolution is" but frankly I don't believe him.

It will do 2880 x 1440 dpi max with the glossier papers, 1440 x 1440 max with
the matte type papers. But even at 1440 you shouldn't see visible dots since
you sent him a 300 ppi file.

Maybe Bob Hatch can run off a print for you on his 7600 and you can get a
better idea ...

Bill