Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > huge jpeg files show as very small thumbnails (canon 300d, JPEG)

Reply
Thread Tools

huge jpeg files show as very small thumbnails (canon 300d, JPEG)

 
 
kl
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-10-2003
I've got these 3 Mb JPEG's from a canon 300d but when I open them up in any
decent viewer (irfanview, et.al.) they show as very small 50Kb 160x120
thumbnails. How can I get to the large versions (they must be there, the
files are huge)!?

Any help appreciated.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
stan@temple.edu
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-10-2003
kl <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I've got these 3 Mb JPEG's from a canon 300d but when I open them up in any
> decent viewer (irfanview, et.al.) they show as very small 50Kb 160x120
> thumbnails. How can I get to the large versions (they must be there, the
> files are huge)!?


How are you viewing those files? What OS and viewing software
are you using?

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Charles Schuler
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-10-2003

"kl" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bonokl$2i4$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've got these 3 Mb JPEG's from a canon 300d but when I open them up in

any
> decent viewer (irfanview, et.al.) they show as very small 50Kb 160x120
> thumbnails. How can I get to the large versions (they must be there, the
> files are huge)!?


Did you set the camera to RAW mode before taking those shots? If a file has
the extension CRW, open it using the Canon File Viewer Utility that came
with your 300D. Go to File, Save File, Convert and save in file and you
should have three conversion options.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Jim Townsend
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-11-2003
kl wrote:

> I've got these 3 Mb JPEG's from a canon 300d but when I open them up in any
> decent viewer (irfanview, et.al.) they show as very small 50Kb 160x120
> thumbnails. How can I get to the large versions (they must be there, the
> files are huge)!?


When viewing JPEG files, the thumbnails are created by your viewing software.
It has nothing to do with the camera or file size.

Look in the 'setup' or 'preferences' section of your software and see if you
can increase the size of the thumbnails that are created.


 
Reply With Quote
 
kl
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-11-2003

Thanks Jim, I was a bit 'beyond' this, but thanks for telling us - it might
help someone. I'll be a bit more explanatory on the background next time.

The issue at hand is that these large files seem to be some kind of
proprietary jpeg-based format. It looks as if they have some multiplicy
built in that no normal jpeg reader understands (JPEG is, by nature, not
multipaged, as for example GIF is). Does anyone perhaps know which exotic
vendor-specific flavour I could be dealing with here? It's not PCD
(photoCD), an none of the usual range of tools (photoshop, irfanview,
imagemagick, etc.) recognizes it as anything else.

Thanks!

PS these are photos directly from a Canon EOS 300D memory card.

"Jim Townsend" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> kl wrote:
>
> > I've got these 3 Mb JPEG's from a canon 300d but when I open them up in

any
> > decent viewer (irfanview, et.al.) they show as very small 50Kb 160x120
> > thumbnails. How can I get to the large versions (they must be there, the
> > files are huge)!?

>
> When viewing JPEG files, the thumbnails are created by your viewing

software.
> It has nothing to do with the camera or file size.
>
> Look in the 'setup' or 'preferences' section of your software and see if

you
> can increase the size of the thumbnails that are created.
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
HRosita
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-12-2003
Hi,

What exactly is the file type?
..jpg, .crw, etc.?

If you search Google for "File Extensions or check out:
http://filext.com/
Rosita


 
Reply With Quote
 
Martin Brown
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-12-2003
In message <borjki$fr2$(E-Mail Removed)>, kl
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>
>Thanks Jim, I was a bit 'beyond' this, but thanks for telling us - it might
>help someone. I'll be a bit more explanatory on the background next time.
>
>The issue at hand is that these large files seem to be some kind of
>proprietary jpeg-based format. It looks as if they have some multiplicy
>built in that no normal jpeg reader understands (JPEG is, by nature, not
>multipaged, as for example GIF is). Does anyone perhaps know which exotic
>vendor-specific flavour I could be dealing with here? It's not PCD
>(photoCD), an none of the usual range of tools (photoshop, irfanview,
>imagemagick, etc.) recognizes it as anything else.


Odd. Canon usually store their JPEG files in some flavour of Exif.
>
>PS these are photos directly from a Canon EOS 300D memory card.


And you are absolutely certain that these files are valid?
Does the Canon supplied software read them OK?

I'd be interested to take a look at an example file.

Regards,
Martin Brown

>"Jim Townsend" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> kl wrote:
>>
>> > I've got these 3 Mb JPEG's from a canon 300d but when I open them up in

>any
>> > decent viewer (irfanview, et.al.) they show as very small 50Kb 160x120
>> > thumbnails. How can I get to the large versions (they must be there, the
>> > files are huge)!?

>>
>> When viewing JPEG files, the thumbnails are created by your viewing

>software.
>> It has nothing to do with the camera or file size.


It can be either. Most digicams hide a thumbnail in the header that the
viewing software may or may not utilise. Seeing a good thumbnail is no
guarantee that the file is valid. Opening the file is the acid test.

A quick test to see if there is something like a valid JPEG (or
compressed TIFF) file is to try compressing it with ZIP. If it can be
compressed by more than about 5% then it is very probably damaged.

Regards,
--
Martin Brown
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What happens if adding a very big value and a very small value? ericnoonan C++ 0 12-14-2009 06:57 AM
Memory error due to the huge/huge input file size tejsupra@gmail.com Python 3 11-20-2008 07:21 PM
Using Java ImageIO to read embedded thumbnails in JPEG images Enric Tordera Java 0 10-13-2006 02:05 PM
jpeg tiles and/or thumbnails URAQT2 Computer Support 14 04-27-2005 12:31 AM
JPEG Thumbnails John Scurlock Digital Photography 5 09-20-2003 12:07 AM



Advertisments