Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Best 3 mp for everyday use?

Best 3 mp for everyday use?

Nottoman

Need to make a quick purchase and have done a little homework so I'm
counting on the opinions of users here..
Mostly for shots of people indoors and outdoors (family, friends, smile for
the camera stuff)
Not too big, but definitely not a super tiny that will fit in an Altoids
can.
Easy to zoom in and out.
Will be uploading pictures to Snapfish or some other online photo service.
(which one is best?)
Easy to connect to PC. Easy to use storage media.
Thanks

Member Business Sources - Beaverton Oregon
Ethical, Resourceful Professionals at Your Service Since 1992
www.BusinessSources.net

agent yellow

i enjoy my canon a70 a lot

"Nottoman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:fMtrb.16486$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Need to make a quick purchase and have done a little homework so I'm
> counting on the opinions of users here..
> Mostly for shots of people indoors and outdoors (family, friends, smile

for
> the camera stuff)
> Not too big, but definitely not a super tiny that will fit in an Altoids
> can.
> Easy to zoom in and out.
> Will be uploading pictures to Snapfish or some other online photo service.
> (which one is best?)
> Easy to connect to PC. Easy to use storage media.
> Thanks

> Member Business Sources - Beaverton Oregon
> Ethical, Resourceful Professionals at Your Service Since 1992
> www.BusinessSources.net

Nottoman

Is there any shutter delay? I used a digital camera a friend had and there
was this terrible delay from when I shot the pic and it took the image.

"agent yellow" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bolqk9$fjm$(E-Mail Removed)...
> i enjoy my canon a70 a lot
>

> "Nottoman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:fMtrb.16486$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Need to make a quick purchase and have done a little homework so I'm
> > counting on the opinions of users here..
> > Mostly for shots of people indoors and outdoors (family, friends, smile

> for
> > the camera stuff)
> > Not too big, but definitely not a super tiny that will fit in an Altoids
> > can.
> > Easy to zoom in and out.
> > Will be uploading pictures to Snapfish or some other online photo

service.
> > (which one is best?)
> > Easy to connect to PC. Easy to use storage media.
> > Thanks
> >

> > --
> > --
> > Member Business Sources - Beaverton Oregon
> > Ethical, Resourceful Professionals at Your Service Since 1992
> > www.BusinessSources.net

John Horner

"Nottoman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:fMtrb.16486$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Need to make a quick purchase and have done a little homework so I'm
> counting on the opinions of users here..
> Mostly for shots of people indoors and outdoors (family, friends, smile

for
> the camera stuff)
> Not too big, but definitely not a super tiny that will fit in an Altoids
> can.
> Easy to zoom in and out.
> Will be uploading pictures to Snapfish or some other online photo service.
> (which one is best?)
> Easy to connect to PC. Easy to use storage media.
> Thanks

Every low cost digital I have tried has a fairly long lag time between
pressing the shutter button and getting the picture. Not a big problem for
"smile for the camera", but a huge problem for trying to catch Katie on the
swingset or Bethany swinging a bat.

If this matter to you, make sure to try before you buy.

This is one reason I still shoot an old fashioned manual focus film camera
for family fun stuff. Catching exactly the moment you want is important.

John

DHB

Nottoman,
1st I am a bit biased toward Canon's digital camera line
because I have had vary good results with them, having said that here's my
suggestion.

Look into the Canon Powershot A70 (3.2MP) 3X optical zoom which I
believe is worth consideration because it's a good "point-n-shoot" camera
but it also has lots of user selectable options & full manual "if" that ever
becomes something of interest. The a A70 runs a very long time on 4 "AA"
NiMH rechargeable batteries & takes CF memory cards.

Your best bet is always to check the on-line review sights such as:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/a70.html

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/spec.../canon_a70.asp

Both of these sites have lots of other brands & models reviewed also which
you should consider because there are other fine cameras that might fit your
needs better. However since you asked opinions I have given you mine as to
what I own, enjoy & consider the most camera for the money in the 3MP mid
size range at this time. The user options in combination with a good price
make it a camera a person can grow into if they wish to venture into the
user options it provides including full manual exposures up to 15 seconds
long.

Just my lengthy 2 cents worth, hope it helps.

Respectfully, DHB

"Nottoman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:fMtrb.16486$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Need to make a quick purchase and have done a little homework so I'm
> counting on the opinions of users here..
> Mostly for shots of people indoors and outdoors (family, friends, smile

for
> the camera stuff)
> Not too big, but definitely not a super tiny that will fit in an Altoids
> can.
> Easy to zoom in and out.
> Will be uploading pictures to Snapfish or some other online photo service.
> (which one is best?)
> Easy to connect to PC. Easy to use storage media.
> Thanks

> Member Business Sources - Beaverton Oregon
> Ethical, Resourceful Professionals at Your Service Since 1992
> www.BusinessSources.net

NJH

My vote is for the Minolta DiMAGE Xt for your purposes. I have one and I
love it. It's 3.2 Mp and makes nice sharp prints up to letter size. It's
small and flat, and light enough to carry in a shirt pocket or any place you
could possibly carry a camera, so it can always be with you. A small belt
case is available for it too. The "folded" 3x zoom lens (37-111mm
equivalent) never sticks out of the camera, is as easy to use as any other
motorized zoom lens (none of them are as easy or precise as a manual zoom,
but no small digital camera has one of those anyway).

I use mine primarily for photos of family and friends, indoors and out.
Indoors you should be fairly close because the flash range is somewhat
limited, but that seems to be true of most compact digicams anyway. It
handles mixed light (part window light and part flash) very well
automatically in my experience.

A *very* handy feature is its ability to copy photos it's taken to a
separate e-mail folder on the same memory card, in 640 x 480 or some smaller
size (I haven't used the smaller size) in "economy" quality, which typically
gives file sizes of only 65 to 75 KB, small enough to upload and download
quickly even over a 56K dial-up. They look great on a computer monitor and I
send photos to relatives and friends this way.

Connection to PC is by USB as with practically all other digicams nowadays.
Very easy, and the supplied DiMAGE Viewer Utility is handy, efficient and
sufficient for most ordinary users' needs. Storage media is the SD card
which is as easy to use as anything else (stick it in its slot and that's
that).

Neil

"Nottoman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:fMtrb.16486$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Need to make a quick purchase and have done a little homework so I'm
> counting on the opinions of users here..
> Mostly for shots of people indoors and outdoors (family, friends, smile

for
> the camera stuff)
> Not too big, but definitely not a super tiny that will fit in an Altoids
> can.
> Easy to zoom in and out.
> Will be uploading pictures to Snapfish or some other online photo service.
> (which one is best?)
> Easy to connect to PC. Easy to use storage media.
> Thanks

> Member Business Sources - Beaverton Oregon
> Ethical, Resourceful Professionals at Your Service Since 1992
> www.BusinessSources.net

agent yellow

i don't know. Probably but since i've got shacky arms and kids that run
around at work i just put it on burst shot and take multiple shots of
everything.

"Nottoman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:khurb.16492$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Is there any shutter delay? I used a digital camera a friend had and

there
> was this terrible delay from when I shot the pic and it took the image.
>
> "agent yellow" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:bolqk9$fjm$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > i enjoy my canon a70 a lot
> >

> > "Nottoman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:fMtrb.16486$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Need to make a quick purchase and have done a little homework so I'm
> > > counting on the opinions of users here..
> > > Mostly for shots of people indoors and outdoors (family, friends,

smile
> > for
> > > the camera stuff)
> > > Not too big, but definitely not a super tiny that will fit in an

Altoids
> > > can.
> > > Easy to zoom in and out.
> > > Will be uploading pictures to Snapfish or some other online photo

> service.
> > > (which one is best?)
> > > Easy to connect to PC. Easy to use storage media.
> > > Thanks
> > >

> > > --
> > > --
> > > Member Business Sources - Beaverton Oregon
> > > Ethical, Resourceful Professionals at Your Service Since 1992
> > > www.BusinessSources.net

Nottoman

What power of zoom do I need for what I mentioned I'm going to use it for? I
know optical vs digital.

"Nottoman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:fMtrb.16486$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Need to make a quick purchase and have done a little homework so I'm
> counting on the opinions of users here..
> Mostly for shots of people indoors and outdoors (family, friends, smile

for
> the camera stuff)
> Not too big, but definitely not a super tiny that will fit in an Altoids
> can.
> Easy to zoom in and out.
> Will be uploading pictures to Snapfish or some other online photo service.
> (which one is best?)
> Easy to connect to PC. Easy to use storage media.
> Thanks

> Member Business Sources - Beaverton Oregon
> Ethical, Resourceful Professionals at Your Service Since 1992
> www.BusinessSources.net

(Pete Cresswell)

RE/
>Mostly for shots of people indoors and outdoors (family, friends, smile for
>the camera stuff)
>Not too big, but definitely not a super tiny that will fit in an Altoids
>can.
>Easy to zoom in and out.

I traded picture quality for size and bought a Minolta Dimate X. (3.2 MP)
Not *quite* small enough to fit in the Altoids can, but close.

Advantages I see over my Nikon CP:

1) Fits in a pocket, business bag, or other small area, so I always have it
handy.

2) Boots up fast enough so that once I learned how to hit the "on" button as I
grabbed it in my pocket, it was ready to shoot by the time I got it up to my
eye.

3) The lens is protected by a shutter that automatically opens/closes as the
camera is turned on/off.

3) The batter seems to hold a charge for a long time - when it just sits,
I only recharge every month or so.

4) 4x zoom is better than 3x.

5) Immediately readable by Windows 2000 - just plug in the USB connector and
it's *there*. (dunno if that was the case with the Nikon - I always used a CF
reader).

Somebody who has hands a lot smaller than mine didn't buy one because they
thought they'd have trouble holding it without blocking the lens. Haven't had
any problems myself (and I wear size XXXXXL gloves...when I can find them...)

Disadvantages compared to the CP:

1) Doesn't do real macro - as in down to an inch.

2) Longer shutter lag - although the Nikon is no champ in that respect.

3) The CP's pivoting body is handy for waist-level and lower shots.

4) The CP's pivoting body makes panning from a tripod easy.

--
PeteCresswell

(Pete Cresswell)

RE/
>What power of zoom do I need for what I mentioned I'm going to use it for? I
>know optical vs digital.

IMHO, as much as you can get....I don't think anybody offers anything yet that's
impractical because of hand-shake issues. People who I know that're into
birdwatching seem to draw the line at 8x. I've got a set of 14x IS binox for
the water, but they're hopeless with the stabilization turned off.
--
PeteCresswell