Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Help finding Camera

Help finding Camera

Traveling

I want to buy my wife a 3 MEGAPIXEL digital camera that is VERY SIMPLE
to operate. She must be able to set resolution, flash, self-timer, and
download mode "without using a menu and the LCD screen". Preferably,
these settings should show on a status screen on the top of the camera.
I'm trying to keep her from using the LCD screen except to view images.
If it's too complicated, she won't use it. Picture quality is important.

Is there a web site that rates cameras by EASE OF USE. Most camera
finders will locate on features i.e. resolution, zoom, memory, etc. but
not EASE OF USE.

Any help would be appreciated.

--
Thanks

Traveling

Steinberger

If there is such a digital camera, I've never come across it. Perhaps you
should stick to a good quality point-and-shoot conventional film camera for
your wife?

Alternatively, buy her something like the Canon Digital Elf, set it up for
basic automatic operation, and let her use it forever in that mode. You
should be able to get away with teaching her how to turn it on, how to point
and shoot, and how to turn it off. You'll have to handle the processing
chores, of course. If you're wife isn't comfortable with adjusting a
camera's settings, she won't be comfortable with transferring the data to a
computer, processing and printing, etc.

Good luck,

"Traveling" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:mfsrb.223684$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I want to buy my wife a 3 MEGAPIXEL digital camera that is VERY SIMPLE
> to operate. She must be able to set resolution, flash, self-timer, and
> download mode "without using a menu and the LCD screen". Preferably,
> these settings should show on a status screen on the top of the camera.
> I'm trying to keep her from using the LCD screen except to view images.
> If it's too complicated, she won't use it. Picture quality is important.
>
> Is there a web site that rates cameras by EASE OF USE. Most camera
> finders will locate on features i.e. resolution, zoom, memory, etc. but
> not EASE OF USE.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>

> --
> Thanks
>
> Traveling

Joanne

I've never heard of a digital camera that didn't use a menu system. It
would need to have dozens of buttons to handle all the functions!

stan@temple.edu

Traveling <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I want to buy my wife a 3 MEGAPIXEL digital camera that is VERY SIMPLE
> to operate. She must be able to set resolution, flash, self-timer, and
> download mode "without using a menu and the LCD screen". Preferably,
> these settings should show on a status screen on the top of the camera.
> I'm trying to keep her from using the LCD screen except to view images.
> If it's too complicated, she won't use it. Picture quality is important.

> Is there a web site that rates cameras by EASE OF USE. Most camera
> finders will locate on features i.e. resolution, zoom, memory, etc. but
> not EASE OF USE.

Ease of use is largely a matter of personal preference. Check out
http://www.dpreview.com to identify cameras that are in your price
range, then stop by a good camera store to actually try out the
cameras and have your wife decide for herself which ones seem easy
for her to use, then buy the camera there.

Mark Grady

Read the reviews at www.steves-digicams.com or www.dpreview.com
"Traveling" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:mfsrb.223684$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I want to buy my wife a 3 MEGAPIXEL digital camera that is VERY SIMPLE
> to operate. She must be able to set resolution, flash, self-timer, and
> download mode "without using a menu and the LCD screen". Preferably,
> these settings should show on a status screen on the top of the camera.
> I'm trying to keep her from using the LCD screen except to view images.
> If it's too complicated, she won't use it. Picture quality is important.
>
> Is there a web site that rates cameras by EASE OF USE. Most camera
> finders will locate on features i.e. resolution, zoom, memory, etc. but
> not EASE OF USE.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>

> --
> Thanks
>
> Traveling

I'd look at the fluffier among the consumer tech magazines at libraries. I'm
not trying to be insulting since ease of use GUI etc. is valuable
consideration.

I'm not sure if consumer reports includes rating for ease of use in cam
reports. they do for other products.

"Traveling" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:mfsrb.223684$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I want to buy my wife a 3 MEGAPIXEL digital camera that is VERY SIMPLE
> to operate. She must be able to set resolution, flash, self-timer, and
> download mode "without using a menu and the LCD screen". Preferably,
> these settings should show on a status screen on the top of the camera.
> I'm trying to keep her from using the LCD screen except to view images.
> If it's too complicated, she won't use it. Picture quality is important.

she should definitely try out the cameras at retail stores. call to see
which store keeps a media card in their demo/display models.